No announcement yet.

Post any time you get ANYTHING retro 3.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agree some of the sega flash pal demos and a few of the Playstation ones are probably some of the "games" I put the most time into

Absolutely played the Panzer Dragoon Zwei demo to death before I got the full game.
    Last edited by Baseley09; 16-07-2023, 20:56.

Comment

Originally posted by Hirst View Post
      , I nearly bought a little job lot of the Japanese Sega Saturn Flash demos when I was finishing up my online flea market orders for shipping a few days back. Got me tempted into thinking "I could gradually build up a full set of them" until I saw some of the later discs go for over £40 a pop... maybe not then.
      wow, they're worth that much? I have a full mint condition Saturn Flash demo disc collection as well. Bought them years ago when they weren't worth anything.

Comment

Maybe it’s a few people just trying it on but I found once you get into the high 20s of the Japanese Sega Flash demos they start creeping up to about a tenner and then gradually up to about 40 quid.

I had that PAL demo with Panzer Zwei, it was Flash Vol 2. You could get it on an issue of Sega Saturn Magazine but in my case it came as a bonus disc with “Club Saturn” - a weird soundtrack CD of remixes of game music, mostly by people I’ve never heard of but I think a few were done by Richard Jacques. Anyone remember that? It was advertised on TV, I went down to HMV for it. Still got it.

Comment

Originally posted by Hirst View Post
          Maybe it’s a few people just trying it on but I found once you get into the high 20s of the Japanese Sega Flash demos they start creeping up to about a tenner and then gradually up to about 40 quid.

I had that PAL demo with Panzer Zwei, it was Flash Vol 2. You could get it on an issue of Sega Saturn Magazine but in my case it came as a bonus disc with “Club Saturn” - a weird soundtrack CD of remixes of game music, mostly by people I’ve never heard of but I think a few were done by Richard Jacques. Anyone remember that? It was advertised on TV, I went down to HMV for it. Still got it.
          Oh yeah, I remember that club Sega CD. A Sad attempt to jump on Sony's club culture is how I saw it back then.

Comment

After five failed attempts I finally managed to track down a N64 controller in 8/10 condition. The stick, gears and gate will be coming out of this one to be put aside for a steel bowl which I should end up with soon enough.

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post
              Great work on spotting a likely easy fix and knowing where to start troubleshooting it - a deserved result!

Package from my proxy and another from trading on here arrived within the space of a day, leading to things getting a bit silly.

Bare Knuckle 3 is the highlight of the series. I know everyone bangs on about 2 but the addition of a run mechanic and the pace of it far exceeds the second installment. Nice haul dude.
              3DS FC (updated 2015): 0447-8108-3129

Comment

Here we go again! A few of these are thanks to [MENTION=3905]wheelaa[/MENTION] and a couple picked up elsewhere.

I'd literally just been saying in here that I hadn't managed to pick up a physical copy of Ninja Spirits again yet, when guess what? Yup, was offered one to buy. Maybe I should start saying that about all the titles I'm after and they'll just magically appear! Anyway, if you've played this on the PCE you'll know how great it is, and this was high on my list of titles to find again as I tunnel down the rabbit hole I'm in.

Next up it's the last game I still had to find in the Soldier series to complete the set, Final Soldier. A game I really enjoy, even though it's definitely my least favourite of the four, but when your competition includes Soldier Blade, you know you're never coming first!

Chan & Chan is undoubtedly a purchase more driven by nostalgia than me thinking it's a great game. I get a kick out of playing it as it takes me back to owning my first PCE back in the day, but it does stink like the farts it's probably most famous for.

Wonder Boy III is just a great game. My initial experience with it was on the Master System which I remember being a must have title for me before I'd left school and having to scrimp and save for the cartridge, then I think by the time I bought a copy of it on PCE it was already cheap as chips in comparison.

A game that most people probably overlook, but one of my personal hidden gems on the system is Bakusho Yoshimoto No Shikigeki. It was one of those games that you used to be able to pick up for a couple of quid sealed that I'd buy piles of to recase games that looked a bit shabby and never bothered playing the game for years. Not sure why I finally got around to it one day, but I realised what a fool I'd been, it's absolutely bonkers but great fun! What has been great while replaying it recently is using the google translate app to find out what's actually being said on the screen, which is mind blowing after all these years of nonsensical guesswork!

And to finish it's another shooter, and a crazy one at that. Ai Cho Aniki is the sequel to the equally weird first title, two games that I hugely enjoy despite some of their questionable imagery.

Comment

Yet another excellent haul of PC Engine goodness. Well, maybe except for Chan & Chang

Comment

Like I said, definitely a nostalgia purchase with C&C!

Comment

Chan & Chan deffo essential PCE if not the most amazing, certainly fun.

Final Soldier was the only Soldier game I had as a teen, first and best for me purely on nostalgia. Excellent music too!

Comment

Not worth posting a pic of, but an absolutely essential PC-Engine purchase finally turned up yesterday, my joypad extension leads. It's always been mind blowing that any of us still have eyesight after sitting that close to the TV as young 'uns. Though I do admittedly wear glasses now.
                        Last edited by Colin; 21-07-2023, 10:11.

Comment

Nice stuff again Colin, must have a tidy collection of PCE games again already. Final Soldier is my favourite in the series, it was the first one I got, shortly after getting my first PCE about 13 years ago (yep, was late to the party!)

Comment

A little boxed gameboy delivery arrived today,

Comment

Originally posted by QuantumLeap View Post
                              A little boxed gameboy delivery arrived today,

You can never go wrong with Japanese mini Game Boy boxes. They're so nice and cute. Makes it worth collecting them even if the game is bad.

Comment

Got a box from Japan for a change, a very "me" set of content.

OverBlood 1/2 Guides: Look, I like OverBlood alright? And I can least appreciate what they were going for in the sequel. Weirdly this was a lot of three guides - two being identical copies of the first one. Oddly, one of them had writing on the back on the listing but it magically disappeared by the time it turned up. That's as weird as OverBlood itself. Anyway, it was like £4 or something for the lot.
                                Psyched Club-Mix (Soundtrack): Oh no, Hirst has succumbed to confusion and memory loss. He already got this one months back. Yeah, this isn't exactly the same - it's a weird promo version! And it was insanely cheap, I think it was £2.50 or something? Thought I might as well, having the promo version of an obscure Sega soundtrack remix thing is very much in line with my brand values. It has something stamped into the disc and sample on the rear artwork.
                                Hyper Drive by S.S.T (Soundtrack): While I'm messing around looking at soundtracks, these Pony Canyon/Scitron discs turn up quite a lot. Almost all of the time, they're just direct rips of the arcade soundtrack of a game. Most of them are from the late 1980s, when you couldn't just go on YouTube. They're a novelty, but it's a rabbit hole that goes a bit too deep so I stay away. This one is different - it's got two discs and one is some arrange tracks by the Sega Sound Team band. Astoundingly, the arrangements were handled by Issei Noro of Casiopea (and performed by SST). And then there's a disc 2 with a few bonus soundtracks including Bonanza Bros, which is easily in my top 5 most-hummed game music. So it was a great package.
                                Sega Rally Ignition (Soundtrack): I've wanted this for a while, but it consistently goes for (what I think) is quite steep money, pretty much what it would have been new. This one was the best part of £20 used, but it was my birthday so I thought I'd bite the bullet given that it's one of my favourite soundtracks. I like it so much that I keep a spare copy of Saturn Sega Rally in my car CD changer and listen to the Red Book audio, I guess now I can do it officially.
                                Darius Gaiden (Saturn): This was an absolute bargain, I think I paid slightly less than a tenner for it. The seller was really making a meal out of it having a cracked case and spindle (which I replace anyway). It turns up and not only is it mint, it even has the OBI card still inside it which wasn't even mentioned. Actually, all of the games and soundtracks did except Psyched Club-Mix (which possibly didn't have one being a promo). As a fan of both fish and shooting things, I'm really happy with that.
                                Hat Trick Hero S (Saturn): This one is a long story. Years ago in the early 1990s, I was in Manchester Airport with a mate and we ended up playing a football game that was nuts. It had all kinds of weird/silly gameplay mechanics and didn't play remotely like real football at all, I would say the best summary is that it's like a football NBA Jam. You could also smash the ball into the photographers and knock them over. However, I completely forgot the very generic name (it was Football Champ here). Later on, I'm watching a video of Saturn games and see this - it looks different as they'd digitised the graphics but it was absolutely the same game I'd played in the arcades. So now I've got it. Nice to solve a 30-year-old mystery. Also it's not faded, it's just the light.
                                Nissan Overdrivin' Skyline Memorial (PS1): I'm really not a fan of EA's Need for Speed franchise, with the exception of the very first one - which I think is actually one of the best racing games ever released. In Japan, they called them Overdrivin' and they did a spin-off for the Saturn called Overdrivin' GT-R which was basically a thin reskin of the game but with traffic disabled (boo!) and a range of fast Nissan cars. The PS1 also got a different version called Skyline Memorial, which has a different range of cars again, just Skylines this time. Honestly I think the Saturn version is slightly better, but the PS1 version is still great.

This will have to keep me busy for a while, I've got to save for the holidays now. Ah well.

Comment

Working...
                                X