• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Final purchases of the year.

Comment

Originally posted by Cepp View Post

Final purchases of the year.
      At last, some ****ing retro. Give that man a cigar!

No offence but all this PS2, PSP and, in some cases, PS3 talk makes me feel a bit too long in the tooth

Comment

Care to define retro?

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
          Care to define retro?

PS3 sure isn't retro at all. I'd never consider my 360 as retro yet. I think retro needs to be about 10 years after the last official game was released. So Dreamcast is definitely retro and maybe ps2.

Comment

That's a faulty metric, considering that the PS2 had annual releases of football games up until last year.

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
              Care to define retro?

Stuff I grew up playing. Subjective, I know, but I simply don't get that warm, fuzzy, nostalgic feeling when playing games released when I was in my late twenties or thirties.

Comment

Originally posted by Decider-VT View Post
                That's a faulty metric, considering that the PS2 had annual releases of football games up until last year.
                Disagree with this. Dreamcast is the same generation as the PS2, Xbox and GameCube so it is equally as valid as those IMO.

Comment

I know, that's why I said it was faulty.

Comment

I'm having my yearly struggle with myself whereby I see sealed Dreamcast games and have to buy them! The reason I broke again this year is the pickings are getting thinner as the stock dries up so I really want to hold onto the batch I buy rather than selling it within weeks!

Managed to pick up Virtua Fighter 3tb, Jet Set Radio, Tony Hawks Pro Skater 2, VMU and I've just brought 2 DC Controllers, all of which are new and sealed. Really happy I was able to grab them again!... Or grab for a third time!

The games which are impossible to buy sealed without spending a fortune have now been added to my little list of games I want and I'll keep an eye out for them in the New Year. 2 posters on here are already selling me mint copies of Phantasy Star Online, Phantasy Star Online Ver 2, Crazy Taxi (Along with several others for the bargin price of ?11) and I'm chatting to another about Sega Rally 2, Sonic Adventure and RE: Code Veronica.

All of this and i've not even brought a console yet! I'm thinking I'll just slowly pick up stuff next year rather than buying everything in bulk and figured I'll scratch my collecting itch better that way. Looking forward to a very Sega 2016!

Comment

Originally posted by Wools View Post
                      ILooking forward to a very Sega 2016!
                      Pretending 2016 is 2000. I have a gaming session on my Dreamcast at least every fortnight.

Comment

Awesome to hear Leon!

I brought a DC on release day back when it was released in the UK and owned that particular console in till 2005 or so when I off loaded most of my collection. I've brought 2 since but they both had various issues which could have been fixed (Resetting games, controller port not working) but I used that as an excuse to sell the system.

At various points, I keep wanting to buy a Sega console and keep thinking about either the Mega Drive, Saturn or Dreamcast as there's nothing out there quite like a Sega game. But as time goes on, I feel the Mega Drive would be a Sonic the Hedgehog machine and i have other ways to play that series, the Saturn would be purely for Sega Rally and the games have aged worse than the PSone but I still think about the Dreamcast badly so went in that direction!

As the collectors on eBay are running out of that sealed batch of stock they got their hands on at the end of the DC's life in Europe I thought it's now or never.

Comment

Awesome to hear Leon!

I brought a DC on release day back when it was released in the UK and owned that particular console in till 2005 or so when I off loaded most of my collection. I've brought 2 since but they both had various issues which could have been fixed (Resetting games, controller port not working) but I used that as an excuse to sell the system.

At various points, I keep wanting to buy a Sega console and keep thinking about either the Mega Drive, Saturn or Dreamcast as there's nothing out there quite like a Sega game. But as time goes on, I feel the Mega Drive would be a Sonic the Hedgehog machine and i have other ways to play that series, the Saturn would be purely for Sega Rally and the games have aged worse than the PSone but I still think about the Dreamcast badly so went in that direction!

As the collectors on eBay are running out of that sealed batch of stock they got their hands on at the end of the DC's life in Europe I thought it's now or never.
                          The challenge now is to get a fully working dreamcast thats in decent nick, dosent reset all the time or have a wonky laser unit....

Comment

To be fair, almost all old consoles usually have familiar sticking points but the Dreamcast does seem to be suspect when it comes to the resetting issue or a non-functioning controller port.

Comment

Finally upgraded to a 60hz unit:

Annoyingly I was expecting just about every PAL MD game to run without issues at 60hz, but it appears a lot of later PAL MD games had some form of optimisation in them. Still the adaptor I have runs just about everything going, including Alien Soldier even if it was optimiised in PAL, so is super fast.

Anyway it means a lot more 60hz MD videos for the channel unit doesn't have a background hiss either unlike my PAL unit.
                              Last edited by S3M; 23-12-2015, 22:38.

Comment

To be fair, almost all old consoles usually have familiar sticking points but the Dreamcast does seem to be suspect when it comes to the resetting issue or a non-functioning controller port.
                                And it's already a noisy machine. I remember one reviewer back in the day said something like "It sounds like the machine is crunching bones!"

I've got quite a few Dreamcasts that I've collected over the years - only one has given me problems. But I guess if I used them regularly, they'd go wrong in some way.

But the Dreamcast is a cool little machine and I enjoy going back to it quite often.

Originally posted by S3M View Post
                                Finally upgraded to a 60hz unit:
                                I have two Pal Mega Drives that are switched for 60hz. But if I'm correct, it's best to have an NTSC machine for some reason? I might try to buy one at some point.

Comment

Working...
                                X