Games Of Christmas Past...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by: mezzanine
    A UK SNES with Mario World, Pilotwings, SF2, Top Gear and Zelda as a shared Christmas present back in 92 has to be my fave memory.
    I always had you down as a Super Famicom man.

Do you like oak?

Comment

Originally posted by Kubrick
      ZELDA is the one that springs to mind.

Spent Christmas '98 with Ocarina of Time, and again in '02 with JP Wind Waker + URA Zelda.

All Zelda games should be released at Christmas. They're the perfect games to sit and play during the winter months when it's freezing outside, so a big **** You! to Nintendo for delaying Twilight Princess untill next year...
      lol, but they make the zelda games you fool

better complete than unfinished like wind waker.. jesus

Comment

for me, it's the Official Santa Claus game for the C64 (how they got Santa to endorse it is beyond me..), you had to go around a house and pick up the pieces of sleigh, then choose the presents you were going to deliver before going around of a bunch of countries, dropping the presents down the chimneys.

anyone else remember this one??

Comment

Originally posted by Roddie
          for me, it's the Official Santa Claus game for the C64 (how they got Santa to endorse it is beyond me..), you had to go around a house and pick up the pieces of sleigh, then choose the presents you were going to deliver before going around of a bunch of countries, dropping the presents down the chimneys.

anyone else remember this one??
          I do actually, my friend had it on a 50 in 1 tape thing for c64

I remember playing the tape only robocop 2 demo on christmas day for c64 , it looked awesome at the time and the music ruled too. it was a second hand 64 my parents got from the older kid up the road, the bonus being it had a shedload of games, a lightgun, and even a light pen

i have more memories of buying consoles after christmas with my cash though, much to my parents dismay usually, my ps1, 3do , DS even all bring me back to good old christmas times.

Comment

I have many gaming memorable christmasses, highlights include, atari st, acorn, speccy, trs-80, c64, but the big special one was the nes and SMB, my brother and i didn't even want christmas dinner, we just wanted to play SMB! I do think nintendo create magic with there games.

There have been many after the NES, but i don't think that day could ever be replicated.

Comment

My best xmas was finally getting to play the U.S Snes my parents had bought me a week before from the local friendly importer.

Me and my Brother were in gaming nirvana playing Super Mario World. It is a magical game- and the memories are some of my best.

I also had Actraiser, Super Formation Soccer and F-Zero. All these game made me love videogaming more than ever. These weren't just AAA games, but more like magical dreams that changed my life. My best mates couldn't believe how amazing the machine was, and went on to by the Pal machines which always made me chuckle at the ridiculously big borders

My snes xmas will always be my most cherished memory!

Comment

Originally posted by Lyris
                Shenmue and Dreamcast Quake 3 Arena
                Ditto here. I remember that Xmas so well, never played so much Dreamcast within such a small space of time.

I remember seeing the start of Shenmue running on a demo pod in GameStation and was stunned. Mainly because it was quite blatently real-time, not prerendered, and looked gorgeous.
                Even today, I think it looks excellent... it's not so much the graphics in themselves - even Shenmue has been long-since beaten in that regard... it's how they are used, the scenario, the way the streets at the start look so convincingly like a Japanese street in the middle of no-where... there's nothing like it, and just shows that a game doesn't need to be pushing 10 billion polygons in order to stun the player and have them drooling - it has to really captivate the player, draw them in and make them feel like there's real life in there, something more than just polygons and textures... Shenmue did that for me.

Fond memories.

Comment

Diddy Kong Racing was a christmas pressie and it was absolutely amazing, those snow themed levels were spot on. I remember when CS first came out and i was in a clan (eugh) you'd hear about how "l33t" it was to go on and play on christmas day.. hah.

Argh now i have the DKR and Banjo Kazooie music swimming in my head.

Comment

I always want to play Zombies revenge at Xmas time, esp if it snows! Brings back one of many happy christmas gaming memories:-)

Comment

Xmas NiGHTS - 1996 - I'd just fallen out with my first girlfriend that winter and was well depressed. NiGHTS helped me through.

Comment

Agreed with Xmas NiGHTS, surely the ultimate Xmas Retro Game?
                        (Or that Aussie Megadrive one for the collectors among us!)

Comment

US Gameboy mk.1 w/Tetris - Xmas 88, courtesy of my uncle who had flown in from New Jersey.

NES Action Pack with NES Advantage Joystick thrown in for good measure - Xmas 89/90 - can't remember which.

UK SNES Super Scope 6 Pack - Xmas 92 (I think - might have been Xmas 91?) - I was slightly peeved with my folks as I'd wanted the SNES SFII pack (of course), not knowing that they'd ordered a copy of SFII to be delivered to the house a week or so later!!

Donkey Kong Country (SNES) - Xmas 95 - Had this reserved months beforehand, and I received a whole lot of Xmas ?s from relatives (as you do! ) and there was only ever going to be one outcome...

Comment

Hmm.. Commodore +4 for me, laughing at my parents becuase they thought that it didn't work when they broughy it home from the shop and couldn't load any games. It came with about 10 games, one of them being a pacman clone called the exorcist.. great. And some crappy treasure island game, which you had to beat on one life.

Then I had a SMS and a Megadrive, with the sms converter. I remember being distinctly un blown away by Altered Beast, and going back to Wonderboy III. For about the next 2 years after that I played SF2:CE religiously..

Comment

It's not really retro, but three Christmasses ago (Dec 02) I was playing Metroid Prime for the first time. It was about 1am and I was lying in bed, all the lights were off and I had the curtains open because it was snowing outside. The windows were quite low so I could glance to my side and see the snow coming down quite clearly from the street lights. Then I walked out into the main plaza in Phendrana Drifts. One of those defining moments in gaming for me

Diddy Kong Racing was a previous Christmas treat for me too. Played the thing obsessively until I'd done both modes and got absolutely everything out of it.
                              Same with Banjo-Kazooie come to think of it.
                              Even earlier, I got Sonic Chaos as a Christmas present after begging my mum to buy it from QVC. Was dead happy with that, could barely drag me away from it to eat Christmas dinner One thing I distinctly remember about that was the dozy bird on QVC who was meant to be demoing it had put the cartridge in backwards and wondered why it wasn't working and their 'expert' waited for a little bit to see if she'd work it out (she didn't) and then had to take it off her and put the cartridge in the right way around instead.

Comment

Hard Drivin' on Amiga

MSR on DC

Timesplitters on PS-2

Metroid on cube

Halo on Xbox

Comment

Working...
                                X