Neo Geo Classic Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by J0e Musashi View Post
    It's the same as the other mini consoles, just with a bonus awesome standalone option. You can still plug it into your TV.
    That's better. Does it come with a proper controller? My idea was still better mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
      That's better. Does it come with a proper controller? My idea was still better mind.
      I think it’s going to include one cd controller, not confirmed that I’ve seen. I’m still not massively enthused by the form factor but if it gets hacked, has a decent scanline option I’d play it on my tv, regardless I’ll still buy one probably even if it turns out ****!

Comment

If this turns out to be decent I’d wager that 3D printed cases that approximate the console will be rolled out for those that want to remove the screen and have something that looks better.

That said I’ve got a funny feeling this may just be running on a pi anyway which would make it all a moot point, bar the controllers.

Comment

It's just so utterly pointless. You can't play it on the go, so sat in the house are you really going to sit and play it on a 3.5" screen, or are you going to play it on your big ass TV? The form factor is ridiculous when you think about it, as much as I hate Nintendo these days, SNK should've followed their lead.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
            as much as I hate Nintendo these days, SNK should've followed their lead.
            It’s like 1990 SNK though [MENTION=9865]Colin[/MENTION]. It’s 99% going to be terrible, but don’t you commend the bravado of such a device?
            Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

I’m fully behind it. I bet it’ll be perfectly playable. The stick looks like it’s had some thought put into it, and the button layout is designed so that you can press A and C or B and D at the same time. I’ve watched various YouTube videos of people moaning that the layout of the extra controllers is wrong against the onboard layout.

This is is a good little thing.
              Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

I love SNK Daryl, I genuinely do, even back in the day I was NEO and PCE against the SFC and MD, always love the underdog. I feel they're shooting themselves in the foot here though. As has been said already, an AES mini with a decent library would've been a cash cow. This? I feel like it's another nail in the coffin.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                  CD controllers are extra. Full-sized AES sticks are a thing too so I hear, but I never said that.
                  Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

I'll add something to this, and only a certain percentage here will get it. There have been a magnitude of console systems in the last few decades, but nothing, and I mean nothing compares to if you ever had an AES in your house in the 90's. Without a doubt, during the frenzy of gen to gen the PS1 and Saturn were amazing, but if you sat in the early 90's with that black slab of coolness with the games you had to work your arse off for, well, you'd done well. For me, it remains the pinnacle of 2D gaming. Will this mini give it a decent fan service? I very much doubt it, but i'm hopeful.

EDIT:

and as if there was any doubt, this post is brought to you by me drinking a daftly expensive malt, the wife being in bed, and the dog out cold at my feet.

Last edited by Colin; 11-05-2018, 23:20.

Comment

I love SNK Daryl, I genuinely do, even back in the day I was NEO and PCE against the SFC and MD, always love the underdog. I feel they're shooting themselves in the foot here though. As has been said already, an AES mini with a decent library would've been a cash cow. This? I feel like it's another nail in the coffin.
                      I totally dig what you’re saying Colin. I was a NEO and NEC head over SFC and MD too. I agree that a mini AES with full-sized genuine Seimitsu sticks would have been infinitely better, but this little thing is cute as ****. It’ll look awesome gathering dust after the initial novelty wears off.
                      Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

I'll add something to this, and only a certain percentage here will get it. There have been a magnitude of console systems in the last few decades, but nothing, and I mean nothing compares to if you ever had an AES in your house in the 90's. Without a doubt, during the frenzy of gen to gen the PS1 and Saturn were amazing, but if you sat in the early 90's with that black slab of coolness with the games you had to work your arse off for, well, you'd done well. For me, it remains the pinnacle of 2D gaming. Will this mini give it a decent fan service? I very much doubt it, but i'm hopeful.

EDIT:

and as if there was any doubt, this post is brought to you by me drinking a daftly expensive malt, the wife being in bed, and the dog out cold at my feet.

I’m with you Colin. I had a NEO. I remember taking my full collection to trade against a Saturn in 1994. Rupert in CEX Rathbone laughed at me. I decided right then that it wasn’t a good trade, and promptly ONLY traded my rattling Robo Army cart in towards both the Saturn and the £45 Android Dunos cart.

Drunk or not. I understand what you’re getting at. That time will never be replicated by any other console.

However, I do think that the fan service is there with the mini. It’s outlandish as ****, and that’s why I like it so.
                        Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

As much as we've both talked a bunch of bollocks on forums over the years mate, I respect the fact that we both in different ways went through (in my opinion) the golden era of gaming.

Comment

As much as we've both talked a bunch of bollocks on forums over the years mate, I respect the fact that we both in different ways went through (in my opinion) the golden era of gaming.
                            Personally, I think your appreciation of the NEC is godly. I remember the day you arrived here. You had a “1” after your handle back then. Selling a whole bunch of NEC. The forum was still a little bit import-only then. It’s cool that we have a fountain of information if we need to call upon it.

I’m still fully NTSC-J. Like it or not. Old habits die hard.
                            Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Front-loader NEO CD does sit under an AES quite well too.

Best box box out of any console of ALL time for me.
                              Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

I wouldn't touch this with a turd on the end of a sharp pole.

With wasteful ideas like this that don't really work and don't sell, they're grinding the Neo Geo brand right into the ground. It's pathetic. They're murdering its legacy.

Comment

Working...
                                X