No announcement yet.

Neo Geo Classic Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Christ, you know how big my ****in hands are? And I've deffo got traces of arthritis in my hands after decades of gaming.

This looks so bad to me. Why not the robust, SNES Mini route? Little Neo Geo console, two 'luxury', full-sized USB* joysticks, perfect emu, HDMI, add 100-200 games, price it at £80, target it at sad old ***** like us, see what happens.

(*so you could use any controller you wanted after the joystick broke after 6 months).

Comment

The guts of it is just a bleedin' Raspberry Pi, anyway. Or a Bilberry Bast, straight from a sweatshop full of wheelchair cripple children in Indoneeeeeezia.

Comment

Originally posted by J0e Musashi View Post
        Would you think you were in Toysrus if you went into a Japanese arcade?
        The actual arcade machines are quite a bit bigger than this stupidly dinky creation. It's the tiny size that made me think of a kids toy. Anyway, it was just me joking around.

I'm a big fan of the Neo Geo MVS & AES, so I was hoping for something really impressive from SNK. Instead, I'm very underwhelmed.

Maybe SNK will sell loads of these, but I doubt it. I guess it will be a bit too expensive to appeal to the mainstream consumer - and feel too cheap and small to satisfy most retro gamers(especially those who love the Neo Geo brand). But maybe I'm wrong and it will sell loads.

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
        Why not the robust, SNES Mini route? Little Neo Geo console, two 'luxury', full-sized USB* joysticks, perfect emu, HDMI, add 100-200 games, price it at £80, target it at sad old ***** like us, see what happens.
        The thing is - they could have sold something like that for $200 and loads of retro gamers would have seen it as a must-have. You wouldn't even need 100 games - 50 gems that cover all bases would have been fine.

When this was announced, I was quite excited by the prospect of a Mini AES, but then I saw the image that showed it was going to be a tabletop and I lost quite a bit of interest. Then when it wasn't even a reasonably big, high quality looking piece of kit, I felt quite gutted.
        Last edited by Leon Retro; 12-05-2018, 07:36.

Comment

Sobriety hasn't changed my mind any this morning. It's still pointless.

Comment

I think it looks nice and I like the fact that SNK isn't copying Nintendo and also celebrating their Arcade routes. All I'll worried about is the emu and if it will be 100% perfect .

I wouldn't want a Mini Neo Geo now to be honest. I loved how big the console and its Joystick was, that's what made it even more special to me. The size of the unit and its incredible joystick, just screamed power.

Comment

That's actually a valid point.
              This mini makes you feel like you're in the arcade of a model village.

The home console was mahoosive.
              Is it crammed with circuit board magic, or is there a lot of air inside so it just looks intimidating to the other consoles?

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                I wouldn't want a Mini Neo Geo now to be honest. I loved how big the console and its Joystick was, that's what made it even more special to me. The size of the unit and its incredible joystick, just screamed power.
                I love my AES and the arcade sticks, but I'd still have bought a a Mini AES if it were a quality product. A Mini AES with 40(should be 50) games and two Neo Geo CD pads would have probably caused quite a stir across the gaming world. If SNK could have delivered that for around $120, I think lots of people(even those not really into retro gaming) might have been interested.

The AES was quite a mythical machine to a lot of people who are now over 30, so I'm sure that status/reputation would have made sure a Mini AES would have grabbed attention and sold well if the reviews were positive.

I will be surprised if the tabletop system is a big hit, but maybe people will go crazy for it. The price will definitely have to be very attractive.
                Last edited by Leon Retro; 12-05-2018, 14:36.

Comment

This is how noisy you lot want the controls to be? Yikes! In related mods had they just made something that looked like this:

I'd have happily given it a spin.

Comment

In related mods had they just made something that looked like this:

I'd have happily given it a spin.[

Nice, I really would like to get a Pi set up in my NGX http://bordersdown.net/threads/12569...yone-done-this
                    Last edited by SuperDanX; 12-05-2018, 16:04.

Comment

I owned a 2 player AES system in the 90s. Nowadays I'm happy with my retropie plus an arcade joystick. I have ordered this case/skin combo however:

Comment

I think this is a missed opportunity.

Increase the screen size to ~7 or 8”, add proper full size Seimitsu parts, and make it possible to link machines together for B2B Japanese arcade style multiplayer and this would’ve been solid gold.

Comment

I'm pretty sure that even if they'd went full bartop with all the bells and whistles and a £250 price it still would've ended up selling more than this lowest common denominator, bargain basement wannabe. Should've stuck to the "Not for peasants" ethos and went all out after cutting corners the first time round and seeing what that got them as people who like Neo Geo are used to paying top dollar as SNK have been bilking them for decades and they'd happily throw their money at them for another spin on the wheel if it ticked all their expensive boxes.

Prediction: This will flop even harder than the other one they made.

Comment

Not related to this as such, but I just tried the ACA Metal Slug on PS4. Er, loads of things just didn't seem right? Extra bits etc, or it felt like that. I'd like to think I know this game well considering how many run throughs I've given it over the years, or am I just being a bit mad? I'm going to go upstairs and try a play through on the AES to see if I am.......

Comment

I like the Japanese one, I’m not sure why they didn’t go with a Big Red style housing for the International version. I suppose it’s all going to come down to the quality of the screen and how irritating/fragile the joystick could be.

I reckon they’re going to use the same main joystick assembly in both the tabletop and the new controllers. That could work out really well as long as it’s a quality replica of the CD pad mechanism. Also, new white CD style controllers, mmmmm

I’m sure the new Chinese overlords will follow the current trend of sending countless review units to undeserving YouTube morons in hope of a positive review...
                              Last edited by _SD_; 15-05-2018, 21:52.

Comment

Originally posted by _SD_ View Post
                                I’m sure the new Chinese overlords will follow the current trend of sending countless review units to undeserving YouTube morons in hope of a positive review...
                                they should give me one. I'll tell it how it is. Oh, wait. ...

Comment

Working...
                                X