ANBERNIC Gaming Devices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
    Is the RG-350M the most recent / most powerful version of these?

Will it run Atomiswave / Naomi stuff?
    It is neither. The newest/most powerful device is the RG-351P which has middling Dreamcast/N64/PSP performance and a trade-off of a 3:2 display rather than 4:3. The RG-350M is good for up to PlayStation. For me, having the best quality build, controls and screen is more important than iffy support for later generations at the cost of an inferior product. And like I said, more powerful Android devices don’t interest me at all unless then can run something like Retropie or EmulationStation as a front end rather than Android.

I reckon it will be some time before we see a handheld with RPi4 levels of emulation, build quality as good as the RG-350M, and integrated WiFi multiplayer support. Heck it took this long for the RG-350M to come out after years of cheap Chinese plastic devices with sucky controls, finally giving us gamers a decent open source portable even if underpowered.
    Last edited by samanosuke; 29-12-2020, 12:22.

Comment

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
      It is neither. The newest/most powerful device is the RG-351P which has middling Dreamcast/N64/PSP performance and a trade-off of a 3:2 display rather than 4:3. The RG-350M is good for up to PlayStation. For me, having the best quality build, controls and screen is more important than iffy support for later generations at the cost of an inferior product. And like I said, more powerful Android devices don’t interest me at all unless then can run something like Retropie or EmulationStation as a front end rather than Android.

I reckon it will be some time before we see a handheld with RPi4 levels of emulation, build quality as good as the RG-350M, and integrated WiFi multiplayer support. Heck it took this long for the RG-350M to come out after years of cheap Chinese plastic devices with sucky controls, finally giving us gamers a decent open source portable even if underpowered.
      I need to have a detailed look at what you've done. Mine arrived with the stock firmware pre-HDMI working, but the unit worked so well out of the box that other than adding some ROMs, I've done very little, as I'm concerned about faffing about with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
        I need to have a detailed look at what you've done. Mine arrived with the stock firmware pre-HDMI working, but the unit worked so well out of the box that other than adding some ROMs, I've done very little, as I'm concerned about faffing about with it.
        The good thing about SimpleMenu is it doesn’t replace the factory firmware/UI, it just sits on top of it running as an app. Even the autoboot feature can be activated/deactivated within the options menu so easy to fall back to the normal UI. Just make sure you follow the guide I linked to including renaming the file without the ‘m’ - you’ll be thankful later for doing so.

The HDMI activation looks a lot more involved as it does require fiddling with the firmware so I’m glad I didn’t have to do this.

Comment

Looks like you’ve cracked on with it better than I have! I have some great stuff on mine which has kept me busy, but I’ve totally failed getting PCE CD titles running. Like the sound of this simple menu a lot though!

Comment

Where's the best place to grab one from guys?

Found the 350M & 351P for around £80 from websites called BANGGOOD & DROIX
            But never heard of them

Ta

Neil

Comment

Originally posted by Soundwave View Post
              Where's the best place to grab one from guys?

Found the 350M & 351P for around £80 from websites called BANGGOOD & DROIX
              But never heard of them

Ta

Neil
              I’d go with droix.co.uk as I think the stock is over here. Sod getting anything from China especially right now with Covid, Brexit, and Christmas backlog.

Comment

I’d go with droix.co.uk as I think the stock is over here. Sod getting anything from China especially right now with Covid, Brexit, and Christmas backlog.
                Thanks man
                Is the 350M the best option?

DROIX have it for just under £100 but the 351P is cheaper?

Neil

Comment

Up to you and whether you care for middling N64/Dreamcast/PSP support - although I’d check Youtube videos as these systems don’t seem to run great on it.

For me the biggest killer with the 351P is its 3:2 display so all retro consoles bar GBA won’t look great on it and will have odd shaped pixels and/or shimmering.

If you’re happy playing just up to PlayStation (and I must say, it plays PSX games very well) then the more premium aesthetic and superior screen of the 350M makes it a winner in my book. Yakumo has done reviews of both consoles if you’re still in doubt as to which one to go for.

Comment

Just took a look at a Simple Menu installation guide. Simple by name, complicated enough to put me off.

I’ll wait until something as easy as installing retropie on my 3B+ is available, I’d DEFINITELY mess this up.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
                      Looks like you’ve cracked on with it better than I have! I have some great stuff on mine which has kept me busy, but I’ve totally failed getting PCE CD titles running. Like the sound of this simple menu a lot though!
                      I would suggest the following:

- Download the latest version of Temper from here

- Make sure all your PCE games are in bin/cue format only

- When setting up SimpleMenu, for the PCE CD section make sure it scans for cue files only

In the meantime before getting SimpleMenu set up, the first two steps should get the games running okay, just make sure you launch from the cue file, not the bin

Comment

Up to you and whether you care for middling N64/Dreamcast/PSP support - although I’d check Youtube videos as these systems don’t seem to run great on it.

For me the biggest killer with the 351P is its 3:2 display so all retro consoles bar GBA won’t look great on it and will have odd shaped pixels and/or shimmering.

If you’re happy playing just up to PlayStation (and I must say, it plays PSX games very well) then the more premium aesthetic and superior screen of the 350M makes it a winner in my book. Yakumo has done reviews of both consoles if you’re still in doubt as to which one to go for.
                        Not really bothered about the N64 etc.

Will definitely look at the 350M

Thanks for the advice

Neil

Comment

I would suggest the following:

- Download the latest version of Temper from here

- Make sure all your PCE games are in bin/cue format only

- When setting up SimpleMenu, for the PCE CD section make sure it scans for cue files only

In the meantime before getting SimpleMenu set up, the first two steps should get the games running okay, just make sure you launch from the cue file, not the bin
                          Cheers bud, will give that a bash later. Had a quick look on eBay to see if some enterprising soul was selling this on preloaded SD cards and was surprised there weren’t any!

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
                            Cheers bud, will give that a bash later. Had a quick look on eBay to see if some enterprising soul was selling this on preloaded SD cards and was surprised there weren’t any!
                            It’d be hard to do so as the system SD uses Linux file system so either you would need to set up/duplicate using a Linux box or use FTP (like I did from my Mac) to get stuff on there like emulators and SimpleMenu. Then your media SD needs to have directories that correspond with the .ini files within SimpleMenu so effectively you would need to supply two preloaded SD cards to have the full SimpleMenu experience.

If it wasn’t lockdown and Covid didn’t exist I’d suggest we meet down the pub next time you’re working in London (if you still do these days) and I’d be happy to help set it up for you over a few pints.

Comment

Yeah, I’ve actually found someone on Etsy who does the double card method (32 & 128Gb) with CFW etc so have dropped them a couple of questions. Yes, I’m that lazy.

No London for me any more, I opened a craft beer shop in Scotland nearly two years ago and left the high voltage industry!

Comment

lol Ignore, on wrong page already seen question has been answered.
                                Last edited by importaku; 31-12-2020, 11:50.

Comment

Working...
                                X