Clear All

Retro Rumble: Round 19

Alex Kidd in Miracle World
    Double Dragon
    Great Giana Sisters
    Ikari Warriors
    Metro-Cross
    Target: Renegade

Six random retro games face off against each other to see which ones are the most popular.

Choose 3 that you like the most.
    Last edited by Leon Retro; 02-12-2020, 20:06.

Double Dragon first, the rest nowhere.

I had some fun with Alex kidd, years ago, so maybe that second, then Target Renegade.

I don't like Ikari Warriors at all, and haven't played Metro Cross. Or even heard of Great Giana.

Still love Double Dragon - I regularly kill twenty minutes or so with a Switch play through of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Marius View Post
      Double Dragon first, the rest nowhere.

It's such a classic, iconic beat 'em up. I had friends who were crazy about it in the mid-to-late '80s.

I remember buying the Amiga version for £5.... Wasn't even worth 10p.

Originally posted by Marius View Post
      I don't like Ikari Warriors at all,
      I really liked it on the Amstrad(could complete it easily) and other 8-bit systems. The Amiga version was quite impressive, but I had got bored of the game by that point. I think Commando is the better game though.

Comment

Double Dragon - The precursor to Final Fight
        Ikari Warriors - Commando flavoured brilliance on the Electron
        Great Giana - (Had it on the Amiga first taste of Mario then Mario World on SNES soon after I think)
        Last edited by CAPCOM; 03-12-2020, 18:22.

Comment

Another one here for Double Dragon.

I suppose it is one of my key games really. Blown away first time I played it, loved it ever since, can and do happily run through multiple times a year. Christmas '88 was amazing, I knew I had the SMS version coming, and even though it suffers in may areas, I loved it, still do! One of the few pcbs I own.

I remember often asking to go to a particular swimming pool back then, as they had a cab with it. In fact I used to go swimming a lot back then as there were numerous indoor pools and all of them had a small arcade area or a couple of cabs dotted about. The games I wanted to play that day led each decision!

As for the other games on the list, meh, take em or leave em tbh. Alex Kidd...is one of those titles I don't play often, on occasion I realise that and think I should give it a spin as it's a great little game...then I play it and remember that it's just a bit crap really.

Comment

Metrocross - Jumping coke cans.
            Double Dragon - It was hard. But it looked great. From the 'Oof' reaction to when your girl gets it in the bread basket to the swinging of the baseball bat and fighting your mate.
            Ikari Warriors - Another great game to play with a mate. Control system was a tad worrying though.

I really want to give some love to my boy Alex Kidd, but apart from the art style and music, I really think the games just didnt cut it. Oh and I had Target Renegade for my C64 and it was really good.

Comment

Originally posted by CAPCOM View Post
              Double Dragon - The precursor to Final Fight
              Yeah, Double Dragon was a groundbreaking game -- and then Final Fight was the next big thing in the genre. Both are really iconic.
              Originally posted by CAPCOM View Post
              Great Giana - (Had it on the Amiga first taste of Mario then Mario World on SNES soon after I think)
              I remember people were really excited about having a Super Mario Bros. clone on the Amiga. It turned out to be not as good as Nintendo's classic, but it was OK. The C64 version is the best.

Originally posted by wheelaa View Post
              I knew I had the SMS version coming, and even though it suffers in may areas, I loved it, still do!

It's pretty good. Much better than the terrible Amiga port.

Originally posted by hudson View Post
              Metrocross - Jumping coke cans.
              Yeah, that's still funny.

Originally posted by hudson View Post
              Oh and I had Target Renegade for my C64 and it was really good.

The Amstrad version is a golden classic.
              Last edited by Leon Retro; 04-12-2020, 00:01.

Comment

Same trio as Hudson for me, please.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                  Same trio as Hudson for me, please.

Another vote for the excellent Metro-Cross.

Comment

They had Metro-Cross in my fave arcade in Rhyl, next to the Chelnov cabinet.
                    Loved the vibrant futuristic colours, but couldn't work out why, in the future, people jump rolling coke cans.

Ikari Warriors is a good laugh and the rotating joystick allowed for more accuracy than Commando's restrictive diagonals.
                    Weird series though, where they go to hell or Mars or something and in the 3rd game, the sprites get megachunk and you're wading in a river punching endless enemies.

Double-Dragon really has lasted well. Although it's been bettered, it's still very playable, especially in co-op mode.
                    Elbow move FTW!

Comment

but couldn't work out why, in the future, people jump rolling coke cans.
                      It's best not to think too much about what's going on in retro games.

Weird series though, where they go to hell or Mars or something and in the 3rd game, the sprites get megachunk and you're wading in a river punching endless enemies.
                      The sequels didn't appeal to me, so I see them as much weaker than the first game. I did think the graphics in the third game were impressive, but it felt quite clunky to play.

Comment

My votes:

Double Dragon - An iconic beat 'em up that defined a genre. It's still a good looking game that's fun to play through.

Metro-Cross - A very distinct concept that is really well realised. I still like the vibrant graphics, catchy music, and fun gameplay.

Ikari Warriors - I have a lot of nostalgia for how much I enjoyed this game on 8-bit systems. It still plays pretty well, so I go back to it now and then.

Comment

The votes so far:

Double Dragon: 6 votes
                          Ikari Warriors: 4 votes
                          Metro-Cross: 3 votes
                          Alex Kidd in Miracle World: 1 vote
                          Target: Renegade: 1 vote
                          Great Giana Sisters: 1 vote

Billy & Jimmy stand strong in first place.

Comment

Working...
                          X