Critics Club V: PlayStation 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Critics Club V: PlayStation 2

You'd think a console as immensely popular as the PS2 would be better documented than it is so apologies if the list misses anything. Time for Sony's biggest success story to face your judgement:

Which PlayStation 2 model is the best looking?

PlayStation 2 Original

PlayStation 2 Silver

PlayStation 2 White

PlayStation 2 Sakura Pink

PlayStation 2 Aqua Blue

PlayStation 2 Yellow

PlayStation 2 Blue

PlayStation 2 Red

PlayStation 2 Ocean Blue

PlayStation 2 Gold

PlayStation 2 Zen Black

PlayStation 2 Slim

PlayStation 2 Slim Silver

PlayStation 2 Slim Pink

PlayStation 2 Slim White

PlayStation 2 Slim Red

PlayStation X

PlayStation 2 Bravia

PlayStation 2 Development Kit

PlayStation 2 TEST Kit

PlayStation 2 Original
    0%
    PlayStation 2 Silver
    0%
    PlayStation 2 White
    0%
    PlayStation 2 Sakura Pink
    0%
    PlayStation 2 Aqua Pink
    0%
    PlayStation 2 Yellow
    0%
    PlayStation 2 Blue
    0%
    PlayStation 2 Red
    0%
    PlayStation 2 Ocean Blue
    0%
    PlayStation 2 Gold
    0%
    PlayStation 2 Zen Black
    0%
    PlayStation 2 Slim
    0%
    0%
    PlayStation 2 Slim Pink
    0%
    PlayStation 2 Slim White
    0%
    PlayStation 2 Slim Red
    0%
    PlayStation X
    0%
    PlayStation 2 Bravia
    0%
    0%
    PlayStation 2 TEST Kit
    0%

OG Aqua Blue for me.

The OG Silver a close second.

I like the Slim models but the pop up disc tray is a bit cheap compared to the sliding mechanism on the OG.

Comment

Standard black phat with the blue OEM vertical stand. It is a great looking machine.

Comment

To be honest, I think the PS2 is one of the plainest, uninteresting designs of a console ever. However, I did love my little PS2 white slim back in the day as it was just so tiny. Shame there are pretty much zero white ones remaining due to the plastic yellowing.

The PSX is kinda cool, but is heavy and bulky as hell and barely fits into most entertainment centres (at least in my experience).

Comment

One which I've always coveted is missing here - the Midnight Blue version, Japan only, which came packaged with a network adapter and matching vertical stand:

I remember Play-Asia having these in and wanted to order one but never did. I do however own a Midnight Blue pad, which I can only assume were issued in the UK since I managed to snag mine nearly new in a CEX a couple of years back.

The model I personally own is the Ceramic White pack which came with GT4 Prologue, which I also like. The machine itself is still a strong white colour, although the pad has sadly yellowed. I picked that up, chipped, from a former forumite (can't remember the name now) for a hundred quid about 15 years back.

I've always thought that the way the debug machine looks pretty much the same but simply has 'TEST' written in the PS2 font is cool as hell.

Comment

If I could pick any from that list it'd be Zen Black. I'm quite happy with my pair of black ones though.

No matter the colour it has to be a fat one. You can't install a hard drive on the Slim.

Comment

Sean Bean as PlayStation 2: A thread.

PlayStation 2 Black

PlayStation 2 Silver

PlayStation 2 White
              PlayStation 2 Slim Pink
              PlayStation 2 Aqua Blue
              PlayStation 2 Yellow

PlayStation 2 Blue
              PlayStation 2 Red
              PlayStation 2 Ocean Blue
              PlayStation 2 Gold
              PlayStation 2 Zen Black
              PlayStation 2 Slim
              PlayStation 2 Slim White
              PlayStation 2 Slim Red
              PlayStation X
              PlayStation 2 Bravia

PlayStation 2 TEST Kit
              Last edited by QualityChimp; 25-11-2021, 14:10.

Comment

Comment

**** me! Do some work, [MENTION=10111]QualityChimp[/MENTION]!!

Comment

Honestly, I've never been a huge fan of the PS2's design as a physical unit. Still think it looks like an air purifier.

But to pick one, it would be the white slim. It doesn't come through in pictures, but the Japanese ones have a matte finish that's particularly nice.

Comment

Love the original model. Sony made something that could live in living rooms as well as bedrooms. I whish the PS5 was as discreet.

Comment

Wasn't a fan of the PS2 when it launched image wise but I got used to it. The original is infinitely better looking than the slim. Always amusing how much love the One X got looks wise because it's barely any different a looker

Comment

Yeah, I prefer a console to look like a games console. I love the Dreamcast and PSOne for that reason. I dislike them trying to look like hifi equipment unless they genuinely qualify.

Comment

Might be controversial but I do love the look of the PS-X.

Outside of that I’d take the original SCPH-10000/14000 with the diddy external HDD that looked like a shrunk down PS2.

Edit: also a bit pedantic but there are a few “original” designs; the earlier Japanese models had slimmer CD trays and the front vents did not go all the way across the bottom. Just saying as some weird folk (and I include myself here) might prefer one over the other.
                            Last edited by samanosuke; 26-11-2021, 12:29.

Comment

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
                              Edit: also a bit pedantic but there are a few “original” designs; the earlier Japanese models had slimmer CD trays and the front vents did not go all the way across the bottom. Just saying as some weird folk (and I include myself here) might prefer one over the other.
                              I'm not providing Bean pics for all those variants too.

Comment

Working...
                              X