No announcement yet.

Critics Club V: PlayStation 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really like the design of the original PS2. It's definitely a bit hifi, but it's also quite futuristic. That era of PlayStation hardware design is great in general. It fits in with the PSP for me as this thing that felt like a slice of the future from Japan.

With its sharp, dramatic edges, it demands to be taken seriously. I've said it before but when you compare it to the multicoloured Bop-It of the GC pad and its funky console handle, it's fascinating to see the different messages the companies were communicating about their machines.

That said, it looks much better upright with the official vertical stand than horizontal. The 10000 with the external HDD looks like a mini skyline of Tokyo skyscrapers.

Comment

It was around this time we were transitioning from the notion that all tech had to be silver/grey in colour.
      Think of your old DVD players, MiniDisc players and LCD World Time Zone alarm clocks.

Companies started doing HiFi separates all in a black stack.

I think the understated black of the original fitted better under the telly, rather than some of these explosions in a face paint factory.

PS2 Slim seems too slim, plus hardware revisions nearly always remove features.
      The addition of networking was welcome, but swapping from disc tray to top-loader meant the whole thing felt more plasticky and less premium in my eyes. A cheaper alternative that benefitted Sony's pocket, rather than an upgrade.

I have so say, although it's such a simple thing, the rotatable PS2 logo depending on if you had it upright or not, was proper *chef's kiss*.

Comment

The size reduction Sony achieved with the slim was impressive at the time, but it was a Poundland version really. Much cheaper feeling and not a classic like the OG.

Comment

Love the classic original model by that yellow one is lovely!

Comment

Working...
          X