No announcement yet.

Retro|Spective 075R: Super Mario

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I didn't care much for Super Princess Peach, but I actually appreciate that something different was attempted with the character instead of taking what must've been the easy cop-out option of putting her in a standard classic 2D SMB environment.

Comment

I owned Super Princess Peach and yet so little of it left an impression on me. In theory though it's a title that makes sense and can offer natural deviations from the normal games, presumably though Nintendo felt that the standard Mario and Yoshi games are similar enough and make more money so left this behind.

Game 74 - Mario Party 7
      Of course the Party just kept on going, a fourth entry for the Gamecube arrived in quick succession and added two more characters to the game. That aside though it was a very standard follow up to the previous title and as such review scores continued a slow trend downward towards the 6's and 5's.

Party Pooper?

Comment

Game 75 - Mario Kart DS
        A new handheld was doing the rounds so a new Mario Kart was inbound because every Nintendo system gets a new Mario Kart entry... right? MKDS used the lower screen for a map and the upper screen for the action semi-recreating the original Super Mario Kart split screen view and this was the first full 3D handheld entry. The game was a massive hit and remains the third highest selling entry in the franchise. It's also the only entry to feature R.O.B as a playable racer.

The Champion of the franchise?

Comment

I absolutely rocked the wheels off of MKDS back in the day, especially in local multiplayer. Super fun with eight players and a very underrated kart customisation option that allowed you to design your own motif (I was literally able to recreate the famous Che Guevara portrait for mine lol!).

That said, the advent of "snaking" (exploiting the manual powerslide speed boost by continually rocking left and right while working the hop button while moving at speed) did break the game somewhat in terms of making it non-competitive very quickly. Nintendo realised this and changed the boost mechanism from MK Wii onwards.

All in all, it was definitely one of the great DS titles for its time.

Comment

I was somewhat middling with MKDS. It was solid but something about it didn't grab me the same way as the others, even now I struggle to think what it is about it that doesn't quite click. I think part of it is the tracks, even the remade ones in MK8 aren't my go to's.

Comment

Game 76 - Super Mario Strikers
              The last Mario game for the Gamecube in Japan and America, this title hailed from the makers of NHL Hitz Pro and whilst it took yet another sport to the plumber it did so with a greater focus on pick and play competitiveness. The game proved to be another solid winner for Nintendo scoring solid reviews and sales.

Strike and you're out?

Comment

Game 77 - Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time
                Another handheld RPG lands and this time it's a direct sequel (and prequel) to Superstar Saga (as much as Mario games have any narrative cohesion anyway). Gameplay wise the game is the same as its predecessors as a party of characters set out to rescue Peach from aliens. The game was critically acclaimed continuing the run of success the plumber has enjoyed.

A good game to partner with?

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                  Game 76 - Super Mario Strikers
                  The last Mario game for the Gamecube in Japan and America, this title hailed from the makers of NHL Hitz Pro and whilst it took yet another sport to the plumber it did so with a greater focus on pick and play competitiveness. The game proved to be another solid winner for Nintendo scoring solid reviews and sales.
                  Strike and you're out?
                  This reminds me that I need to check up on the Switch version - if it's any good, and try to get a copy sub-full-price if so - as I remember liking the first.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                    This reminds me that I need to check up on the Switch version - if it's any good, and try to get a copy sub-full-price if so - as I remember liking the first.
                    Mario Strikers: Battle League is decent but, like most Mario sports titles, not offering enough content to justify full RRP.

House of Bezos currently stocks it for £30. Would be trying to see if I could get it for less if I were you.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                      Game 77 - Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time
                      Another handheld RPG lands and this time it's a direct sequel (and prequel) to Superstar Saga (as much as Mario games have any narrative cohesion anyway). Gameplay wise the game is the same as its predecessors as a party of characters set out to rescue Peach from aliens. The game was critically acclaimed continuing the run of success the plumber has enjoyed.

A good game to partner with?

The second game in AlphaDream's "Mario & Luigi RPG" series.

Definitely worth playing. Continues the series' fine comedic writing, soundtrack composed by the legendary Yoko "SFII" Shimomura (as she did for all the games in the series) and the RPG action is simple yet satisfying.

Would recommend the 2017 3DS enhanced port that includes the "+ Bowser's Minions" content.
                      Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 08-03-2023, 12:37.

Comment

Game 78 - New Super Mario Bros.
                        The DS awaited a Mario game of its own and Nintendo went back to the franchises roots to deliver this next game. The game contained over 80 traditionally themed levels as Mario battled to stop Bowser. Reviews were good and so were sales with some criticism coming in for the game being on the easy side and also being a rare example of a Mario platformer that lacked new spins.

Was the experience New enough for you?

Comment

The original NSMB was the first game that I got with the DS Lite given to me for Xmas 2006.

I do think that the return of a "proper" 2D Mario was very welcome by the masses (14-year gap between NSMB and the last 2D Mario game, Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins).

NSMB was an enjoyable return to the basics and it felt fresh for it. I also think that its multiplayer/VS mode offering was underrated - got quite a bit of mileage out of that BITD. Only real complaints that can be labelled at it are the shortness of it and the aforementioned low difficulty level.

Just a shame that all NSMB games since have been so bland and devoid of any charm.
                          Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 10-03-2023, 18:31.

Comment

Game 79 - Mario Hoops 3-on-3
                            Another day, another sport with Mario starring in another collaboration between Nintendo and SquareEnix that needlessly adds Final Fantasy characters to the the basketball action. With two player requiring each player own a copy of the game some criticism came in on the game as the AI was also cited as being weak.

A load of Hoop-la about nothing?

Comment

Game 80 - Mario vs Donkey Kong 2: March of the Mini's
                              A direct sequel to the prior entry, this new one uses touch screen controls for all actions as the gameplay leans more into the Lemmings style approach of getting the mini-Marios to the end of level goal. With eight worlds, the game offers a lengthy campaign to work through and proved to be another well received entry in the series.

Of Major or Mini Interest?

Comment

I hated the way that March of the Minis completely got rid of the platforming action that DK '94 and the original Mario vs. DK established.

Mario vs. DK just completely changed course from MotM onwards and became a puzzler.

Comment

Working...
                                X