No announcement yet.

Retro|Spective 075R: Super Mario

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's a game that I appreciate and enjoy but every time I've ever played it, it's one of the only Mario 2D platformers that feels like it runs out of steam before the credits roll. It's good but not as good as its predecessor.

Comment

Game 27 - Mario's Game Gallery
      Another of the several poorly conceived non-Nintendo titles in the line up, this title contained games such as backgammon and domino's where the player played against Mario. Not that well received, the title is none the less notable for being the first Mario title that Charles Martinet voiced the plumber for.

Did you ever experience this rare but dubious title?

Comment

Game 28 - Mario's Super Picross
        The SNES sequel to the previous Picross title, this entry only launched in Japan thanks to the commercial failure of the previous game in western markets. It would eventually make its way across the pond via the Wii Virtual Console service but still remains one of the least played entries due to this.

Good fun or puzzled by there being so many puzzle games?

Comment

Game 29 - Mario Clash
          The Virtual Boy returns with this 3D depth remake of the original Mario Bros game. Adding a foreground/background element to the game, the game was one of the most anticipated titles for the machine but fell on mixed reviews when it launched due to its limited content and lack of save feature.

Did more than just your retina's clash with this entry?

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
            Game 26 - Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
            Like Asura I've never connected with this as much as I'd like to. I don't know why. Started many times but never finished.

Comment

Is Picross actually fun? I'm sure this is me being a shallow fool but it always looks like something a maths teacher would give the class to do if they ran out of material before the end of a lesson.

I'm forever intrigued by Virtual Boy games. Never played any though (except a quick go, once, on Warioland in Super Potato in Akihabara!). Would be interested in Asura's view on Mario Clash if he's cracked it out on the Quest.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                Is Picross actually fun? I'm sure this is me being a shallow fool but it always looks like something a maths teacher would give the class to do if they ran out of material before the end of a lesson.
                Yep, this and Sudoku. I don't know at what point in the process the fun occurs.

Comment

Game 30 - Super Mario RPG: The Legend of the Seven Stars
                  Developed by Square, this SNES title brought Mario to rpg gaming and featured rendered graphics from an isometric view point. Recovering seven stars to restore the world, Mario builds his party in a game that was adored and highly scored and yet denied a PAL release at the time. The game sold well in Japan and performed stronger than expected in the US but despite this success Square would not return and whilst multiple Mario RPG's have been made since, this one never received a similar styled sequel.

The king of Mario RPGs?

Comment

Y'know, it's weird, but I never get along with the Mario RPGs. I've tried most of them. I just think I don't get along with going through a big story in that world.

Comment

Yeah, i'm the same way. I've never gotten more than a few hours into one. Something about them just doesn't hold my attention - even when they use humour to good effect, like the Wii entry.

Comment

Worth pointing out that "Mario RPGs" are not one homogenous mass. They do obviously differ, from the aforementioned Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars, to the in-house developed Paper Mario series of RPGs to, probably the best-known, AlphaDream's Mario & Luigi RPG series that started on GBA with Superstar Saga.

Legend of Seven Stars is very much like Yoshi's Island for me - a fine game that feels like it arrived too late in the SNES/SFC's lifespan for me to be nostalgic enough about it, though it is available on the SNES Classic Mini so I should probably make more of an effort to play through it.

Square-Enix could probably work wonders by giving it an HD-2D re-makeover à la Live-A-Live, but I suspect that Nintendo wouldn't see it that way.
                        Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 04-03-2023, 12:10.

Comment

I recall asking dad to buy this for me when he went to work in the US for a couple weeks, and was not disappointed when playing it (think he also got SFA2 for me). Tough as ****ing nails though I will say.
                          Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Game 31 - Super Mario 64
                            And just like that, the Mario series and the genre as a whole experienced a quantum shift in design with the full 3D reimagining of the Mario characters and setting with this Nintendo 64 launch day classic. Considered to be one of the greatest games ever made, Mario 64 delivered around 15 three dimensional levels with multiple objectives in each, all navigated to through a secrets filled castle hub.

Worthy of its legacy?

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                              Game 31 - Super Mario 64
                              And just like that, the Mario series and the genre as a whole experienced a quantum shift in design with the full 3D reimagining of the Mario characters and setting with this Nintendo 64 launch day classic. Considered to be one of the greatest games ever made, Mario 64 delivered around 15 three dimensional levels with multiple objectives in each, all navigated to through a secrets filled castle hub.
                              Worthy of its legacy?
                              Just one of the best games ever. Really, it was. Maybe even the best at the time.

I bought an N64 to play this and I stand by that decision. Everything about it was just an absolute joy. Mario's movement, the level design, the sound and music; it was simply wonderful. I must've spent hours soaring with the wing cap, or trying to complete levels doing as many of the reverse-jump as possible, or getting all of the stars in Rainbow Road. The stages were great; from the great use of water and swimming in Jolly Roger Bay, to the slide in Cool Cool Mountain, to the mental challenge of stages like Wet-Dry World, it was packed with inventive ideas.

I've enjoyed all the 3D Mario titles to a greater or lesser degree, but I always come back to the original. It's just a shame that Nintendo half-arsed the Switch version.

Comment

When they revealed it and I saw it on Bad Influence's coverage of the Shoshinkai event I was blown away. The next morning my Mum told me all she could hear that night was me talking about it in my sleep At school it was all anyone was talking about too.

I first saw it in person at an import shop in Bolton, it was running in black and white as the guy behind the till played it. It still blew me away then and once owned still never disappointed. Time has dulled it a slight bit but even then, it's still one of the better 3D Mario's and after 26 years that says a lot.

Comment

Working...
                                X