X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
    Game 35 - Yoshi's Story
    What is your Story with this game?
    This is one of the games which pushes me not to judge the attitude that was present in the 90s about 2D games being old hat, and Sony's whole thing about not wanting to bring 2D games to America and the rest of it - because I remember seeing this at the time and, given, I was a kid, but I just thought it looked like trash, and I couldn't understand why Nintendo weren't embarrassed to release this on their console alongside Mario64. I don't think I've ever played it.

Comment

Yoshi's Story is a game where I was wasn't particularly looking forward to it but I assumed it would be okay, being a 2D Mario and all. The game isn't that at all though and despite its parallels with Yoshi's Island is also not like that really. It's a simpler game, pretty straight forward to blast through so more something aimed at younger gamers. That being said, even though it's the weaker game objectively, if you sat me down and made me play one of the two of them I'd probably pick this one. It's a stress free, fun little thing that I think the Yoshi games that followed would show was more solid that reviews had it at the time.

Comment

Game 37 - Mario no Photopi
        Another extension of the Mario Paint style line up, this Japan only release allowed users to retouch photo's and images with them stored on SmartMedia cards. Nintendo 64DD support was planned whilst players used their own images to supply the game with content to create puzzles from.

No to Photopi?

Comment

Game 38 - Mario Party
          The destroyer of N64 controllers. The slow paced boardgame multiplayer title debuted on Nintendo 64 and saw up to 4 players battling for stars in a title that would spawn an surprisingly enduring sub-franchise. With six boards and a selection of mini-games on offer, the game was a well received addition to the growing line of Mario titles.

Hell of a Party?

Comment

Oh yeah, destroyer of N64 analog sticks indeed!
            Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Game 39 - Super Smash Bros
              Nintendo once again had no idea what it was unleashing as its next Mario led title landed on the Nintendo 64, this time also using characters from across their key franchses in what is effectively their interpretation of the fighting genre. Hits inflict damage which increases the impact of further hits until a player is blasted off the edge of the screen resulting in defeat as twelve characters battle on franchise themed stages. The game was an immediate hit.

A Smash hit with you?

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                A Smash hit with you?
                No. I've tried and it just doesn't click on any level. Not for me.

Comment

Pretty sure I had sold my N64 by the time these came along.

Comment

Fanservice quality has long outweighed beat-em-up mechanics quality where Smash is concerned.

Comment

I just don't like Smash Bros.

It just feels like this:

Comment

There’s no way anyone can’t find multiplayer Smash loads of fun. It single-handedly sold four WiiU consoles to both gamers and non-gamers in my last office after we had a single games night on it. What started as a nerdy gathering among IT turned into a multi-dept. 15-person stay over with pizza.

Once the basic mechanics click it’s all uphill from there. There’s little more satisfying than connecting a fully-charged Smash attack on someone, other than hitting more than one player with the same attack perhaps.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
                          There’s no way anyone can’t find multiplayer Smash loads of fun.
                          It just doesn't work for me.
                          There's a whole load of frantic button mashing, then someone doesn't die and it's not 100% clear why.

I'm glad you've had some fun out of it, though.

Did you play the N64 version? How much had the game evolved by the time it got to the WiiU?

Always liked the character roster, but when the game kicks in and the camera pans out, you're like:

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
                          It single-handedly sold four WiiU consoles
                          I thought this was a dig at WiiU sales figures at first!

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                            It just doesn't work for me.
                            There's a whole load of frantic button mashing, then someone doesn't die and it's not 100% clear why.
                            That's why it's not working for you. 100%. This isn't Tekken, you can't mash unless it's a Chun Li/E.Honda type move (of which there are very few). The most primary of strong attacks (the Smash attack, in particular) has to be held down and timed/charged. That's what makes it so satisfying. You'd honestly have more success mashing buttons on Street Fighter III.

Comment

The basics to 'get' Smash:

1) Stay on the stage.
                              2) Stay on the stage.
                              3) Throw out some special moves at range with the B button. Pair B button with a direction for different specials. Try specials in mid-air, a lot of them are tuned for survivability (see 1 + 2 above).
                              4) Try out some normal attacks with A button at close range. These also change depending on paired direction.
                              5) Once opponent is at 75%+, hold down the A button to override Normal attacks with the Smash attack variants.

Comment

Smash is a very simple game. Whenever I see a remark about button mashing it leads me to believe the player hasn't made an attempt to engage with the game. Bit of a shame from my perspective but to each their own. Melee is still the cream of the crop for me and the one that I started with. The N64 one was very hard to go back to, Melee is a step above in every regard. I don't think the 64 controller lends itself well to the default mapped controls, it felt a bit more playable on a Hori mini controller but still not as right as a Cube pad with Melee.

Comment

Working...
                                X