Retro|Spective 075R: Super Mario

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Game 13 - Mario Paint
    A couple more cameos aside in such things as Super Scope 6, the next Mario led entry is Mario Paint. Releasing with the SNES Mouse, this title contained a mini game and modes that allowed players to draw and animate via their console. It even contained a music making tool and despite being a left field release choice it went on to be one of the systems best sellers.

Did you ever own this and did it paint a good time?

Comment

I've never played Mario Paint but I can see how it ended up being a bestseller. This type of early drawing software would seem totally crude to the kids of today but in the early 90s I remember being absorbed for hours by making stuff in MSPaint. Plus for parents this had the imprimatur of something educational and creative rather than just 'goggling at the screen'.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
        I was always a Mega Drive kid, so didn't really play SMW BITD.

I know it's regarded as top-tier, but every time I dip in, it feels a bit, I dunno, noisy?
        Rather than just control Mario as he traverses the platforms, you're managing Yoshi, making sure you don't lose him, or chasing him, or feeding him, or saving eaten enemies to belch at others and so on.
        You do realise that you can go through the entirety of SMW without using Yoshi, right? He's an optional element of the game, not a mandatory one.

You also make it sound like he's crap to control, when nothing could be further from the truth. You definitely do need to replay it by the sound of things.

Comment

Game 14 - Super Mario Kart
          It would turn out that the next acclaimed Mario game wouldn't be a platformer at all but actually the start of a spin-off line that would go on to become even bigger. SMK pitted eight Mario characters against one another in Mode 7 based tracks, racing through several four track cups whilst firing off offensive and defensive weapons to push your way into first place.

And as an extra bonus to mark us reaching this seminal sub-franchise in Mario's history:

Where does Super Mario Kart stand not just in the line up of its own franchise but within the full Mario line up?

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
            Where does Super Mario Kart stand not just in the line up of its own franchise but within the full Mario line up?
            Not willing to get into the tired Bordersdown debate about Mario Kart with the same usual suspects so please do not @ me.

Super Mario Kart remains the best and purest in the franchise for me. It is the MK game that unquestionably places the most emphasis on pure driving skill first and foremost. Yes, power-ups can help but only to a point - driving ability is what ultimately gets you over the line (pardon the pun) in SMK and only the most myopic on here can deny that and/or deny that later MK games sacrificed driving skill to be more accessible and family-friendly and ultimately become a massively cheap and gimmicky power-up fest, which is detrimental to what SMK originally set out to be IMO.

MK8/MK8D may be the franchise's most successful for sheer numbers but SMK is the better racer by far every single time.

On another note, I'm starting to think that Nintendo might never make another Mario Kart game. I hope I'm wrong but it feels like that and their endless reheating of MK8/MK8D doesn't help.

Comment

There's part of me that can almost believe there will be an Ultimate Mario Kart 8 Deluxe on Switch 2 with 2 new racers and tarted up visuals on the Booster Pass DLC tracks

Comment

I can’t get into Super Mario Kart at all. I just never have any fun while playing it. Love the rest of the series.

Comment

I defy anyone to pick up Super Mario world and not enjoy it. It's infinity playable even today. Hands down the best 2d Mario and probably the best 2d platformer.

Comment

I'm not sure why Mario gets all the love, if I'm honest.

I had a blocked toilet he said he would fix, but every time I chased him he was either busy painting or researching antibiotics or playing tennis. When he finally turned up, he was in this tiny kart that couldn't fit any tools on, so the toilet remained blocked for months.

I've left a scathing Check-A-Trade review, I can tell you.

Comment

Game 15 - Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins
                      The Game Boy received its second entry and this time it was a complete overhaul that pitted Mario against his new rival Wario. Visually, the game was much more in line with the console iterations as it pushed the handheld much further than 8-bit Mario's had previously gone. Playing much more like SMB3 or Mario World, the game was acclaimed and went on to be one of its biggest hits.

A Golden Time?

Comment

As discussed earlier, it's far removed from the first game but I'm in the camp that see's this as being the vastly superior entry and the best of all the GB era Mario's. Amazing stuff for such a low end handheld.

Comment

It’s a great game, although for me its predecessor is more fun to play.

Comment

Game 16 - Yoshi's Cookie
                            Because Nintendo can't resist a block puzzle game, another branded entry appeared in the tile matching genre, this time for NES, GB and SNES. Originally intended to be an arcade title, the game performed badly in testing so was retooled into the console title we know now.

Are you a Yoshi's Cookie Monster?

Comment

Originally posted by DeathAdder View Post
                              It’s a great game, although for me its predecessor is more fun to play.
                              This for me.

SML2 might a better technical achievement than SML (even if it does rely on being "Super Mario World-Lite"), but SML is the more fun play.

Comment

Funnily enough, I never played the SML sequel. Maybe I was playing the GB less by the time it came out.
                                Another Mario game I should try, cheers Neon.

Comment

Working...
                                X