• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Peach does make remarkably little effort to avoid capture

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
      Game 10 - Dr. Mario
      Problem is, I found it hard to differentiate the colours, so preferred the Game Boy version, but then you have to ask what's the point if you already have Tetris?

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
        Problem is, I found it hard to differentiate the colours, so preferred the Game Boy version, but then you have to ask what's the point if you already have Tetris?
        Yeah; Dr. Mario is a fine game but, and I'm being sincere here, GB Tetris is literally the best handheld puzzle game ever made. It was one of the first proper ones and yet they absolutely nailed it first time out.

Titles like Lumines are fine and dandy but nothing beats Tetris.

Comment

I mean, you've got to question the guy's credentials.

Last time I saw, he was using a plunger to clear a blocked toilet, next thing he's got his doctorate?
          The germs are probably from his filthy hands.

Awful bedside manner too. "Mama Mia! Your-a face is disintegrating from-a ebola!"

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
            Yeah; Dr. Mario is a fine game but, and I'm being sincere here, GB Tetris is literally the best handheld puzzle game ever made. It was one of the first proper ones and yet they absolutely nailed it first time out.

Titles like Lumines are fine and dandy but nothing beats Tetris.
            These pretty much nail it. Tetris STILL reigns supreme as the greatest puzzle videogame ever and the GB version is arguably the greatest system pack-in of all-time - I don't know anybody who has never played Tetris before and it's highly likely that for a generation of gamers the GB version was likely the first one they ever played.

As for Dr. Mario, it's fun enough in its own right. I've always gravitated to it over the years in its many different incarnations but it has never made me go back to it consistently like Tetris has.

I do wonder if the failure of Dr. Mario World on mobile puts a question mark against the franchise's future. I suspect it might be quite some time before we see a Dr. Mario game again, if ever.
            Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 15-11-2022, 15:55.

Comment

Game 11 - Super Mario World
              Also subtitled Super Mario Bros. 4 in Japan, this SNES launch title built upon the ground laid by SMB3 to a level no-one thought possible thanks to utilising Mode 7 effects and expanding the range of settings, world map and moves that the plumber could deploy. Hailed as a classic, the game is still revered as an example of how to deliver 2D platforming action.

Did this Mario game mean the World to you or was it overrated?

Comment

Game 11 - Super Mario World
                Also subtitled Super Mario Bros. 4 in Japan,
                Huh, you learn something new every day; I had no idea this was the case.

Whenever SMW comes up I always feel the need to post this:

I confess I didn't like it as a kid; I just didn't appreciate it. But the game's an absolute ****ing masterpiece.

Comment

Did this Mario game mean the World to you or was it overrated?
                  Greatest 2D Mario game of all-time.

Greatest 16-bit platformer of all-time.

SMW is PRECISELY the game that Miyamoto-san & Tezuka-san wanted SMB3 to be in 1988 but were hamstrung by Famicom tech that was five years old at that point.

Don't @ Me.

Comment

Huh, you learn something new every day; I had no idea this was the case.
                    I mean... It's not like Nintendo ever hid this fact. It's literally on the cover and cart label of the SFC version...

Whenever SMW comes up I always feel the need to post this:

I'll see your video and raise you this video, which absolutely blew my mind the very first time I saw it.

Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 16-11-2022, 12:55.

Comment

This was peak Mario v Sonic era and Mario World essentially just rendered the competition obsolete. The difference in quality between the two is a chasm and Mario World hasn't aged a day in its 31 years, doubt it will in another 31 years. Definitely the peak of 2D Mario.

Comment

Game 12 - Yoshi
                        More cameos continued to appear along with an arcade port of Dr. Mario, even the Game and Watch entries continued - who wasn't aware or even owned this bad boy in the school yard?

But the next full game to release was this puzzler which was retitled Mario & Yoshi in Europe. Developed by Game Freak, it used Mario's new ride and as a another falling blocks title for NES and Game Boy. It was well received but appraisals of the game have dropped off as the years have gone on.

A worthwhile departure from Dr Mario?

Comment

Super Mario World is the first game I played fanatically. I didn't even buy the Super Nintendo for it, it came packed in. And when I eventually tried it that was it. Couldn't put it down. Proper masterpiece.

Comment

I was always a Mega Drive kid, so didn't really play SMW BITD.

I know it's regarded as top-tier, but every time I dip in, it feels a bit, I dunno, noisy?
                            Rather than just control Mario as he traverses the platforms, you're managing Yoshi, making sure you don't lose him, or chasing him, or feeding him, or saving eaten enemies to belch at others and so on.

I really need to give it more time than these brief dalliances of the first few levels at a school friend's house 84 years ago.

Is it on DS? Is the only way to play it on Switch with an annual sub, you can't just own it?

Comment

Never had a NES so never actually got to play any of those games to completion until later on when All Stars / Collection came (spoilers though: they're very good). Mario Land was my first real intro, and I loved that to bits at the time. Haven't revisited it in decades though, so don't have anything particularly insightful to say that isn't just a vague memory.

Super Mario World though? Oh my god. There is *witchcraft* going on in this game. How is it so good? Even today there isn't a better 2D platformer to my mind, and it was a launch title?! I refuse to believe anyone has ever had a better Christmas than the one where I got a SNES, Mario World, and Street Fighter 2.

Is it on DS? Is the only way to play it on Switch with an annual sub, you can't just own it?
                              GBA rather than the DS! Fairly sure it was on both the Wii and WiiU virtual consoles too.

Comment

You could also put a ROM on your Miyoo Mini.

I'm so lacking on knowledge of 2D Mario. I've only dabbled with the NES titles and with World. And yet I love 3D Mario games.

I really need to take the time and sit down and go through these games one after the other, properly.

Comment

Working...
                                X