No announcement yet.

Regrets, do you have a few?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I try not to go through life looking in the rear view mirror. Every decision made was right at the time. I sold my Jp AES collection about 20 years ago to raise a deposit when we bought our first house. That collection included Slugs 1 2 3 and X, Pulstar, Blazing Star, Big Tourney Golf, Shock Troopers 2, MotW, Ninja Masters (not putting the apostrophe in), the Sam Shos, The Last Blades, etc. What makes me feel okay is we made nearly 100k on that first house, not a bad investment ... and if I hadn't sold up then I'd have sold them 100 times over in the years they've been going up, for fear the bubble might burst. Sure, they'd be worth a small fortune now, but I can't imagine selling would be easy based on the scrutiny they'd be subject to. Probably have to go with a dealer over a collector.

If I have one gaming regret it's that I went through a phase of wanting everything and buying and selling the same stuff over and over. It didn't give me much joy in hindsight.

Comment

I think that's a really good perspective.

If I have one regret it's partly that I've hung onto all my stuff for so long. I've never done the whole collecting bit per se but I've definitely hoarded most of the games I've bought over the course of my life. Frankly they're more of a millstone at this point, but I'm finding it hard to let go. I haven't got enough room in my flat for them, my Mum and Dad have moved to a place where there isn't enough storage for them, and it seems bonkers to pay for a storage unit for stuff I never use.

So I've got to get over the hump and get rid of most of it, really.

Also my other regret is selling a GC component cable for £30 to fund a Wii component cable. I thought I was a genius at the time

Comment

Regrets? Not really. Only in the sense that I sold some aspects of my collection (Nuon, N64DD etc) for really good money, but I could have gotten more if I'd held on a few more years. Who knew, huh?
        Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Too many, but the main one would be back in (I think?) 1994, me and my brother were persuaded by our parents to sell our NES to make way for the SNES. We listed it for sale with the likes of Battletoads and Double Dragon, Probotector and Probotector II, Mega Man 4, Super Turrican, Maniac Mansion, Micro Machines, Star Wars, Gauntlet II, Turtles II: The Arcade Game, Super Mario Bros. 3, a Game Genie, Four-player adapter, and probably a few other games I can't fully recall.

We generally looked after our stuff and apart from Super Mario Bros. 3, all our games were in great condition, complete with manual.

We sold it all to someone for £50.

Thinking about it, I'd probably only replay half of those games today.

Comment

I guess that’s the biggest risk you take, selling stuff in good condition, never knowing if you’ll come across another in the same state. Mind you, with the common stuff I guess you’ve got a good chance, albeit diminishing as time goes on.

Comment

In 2008 I had a clearout in which I among other things sold off most of my rare MD games because I wasnt playing them much. These included Eliminate Down, Gleylancer, US Musha, splatterhouse 3, pal Punisher, pulseman, undead Line, Alien Soldier, Bare knuckle 3, devil crash, castlevania, shining force 1-2, landstalker, mega turrican, monster world IV, phantasy star 4, rocket knight, shinobi 3, twinkle tale, verytex and more.

I'm happy to say that I at least held onto the ones I have an emotional attachment to (the ones I had as a Kid) but yeah, in hindsight that was not a very clever decision

Comment

Sold my Amiga 1000 with Spirit HDA506 IDE controller with a 20mb disk and I think 2mb RAM. It was boxed and mint (owned from new). Think I sold it for 150 or 120 quid.

Didn't even sell it because I need to fund the next machine. I had already bought an Amiga 1500. And BTW, I'm not sad because of financial loss, I just wish I had that machine again, it was magical.

Comment

Originally posted by gunrock View Post
                  Sold my Amiga 1000 with Spirit HDA506 IDE controller with a 20mb disk and I think 2mb RAM. It was boxed and mint (owned from new). Think I sold it for 150 or 120 quid.

Didn't even sell it because I need to fund the next machine. I had already bought an Amiga 1500. And BTW, I'm not sad because of financial loss, I just wish I had that machine again, it was magical.
                  It’s mental to think computers could have 20mb drives back then. You’d probably struggle to install Monkey Island 2 on it after installing Workbench.

Comment

At least you got to sell your Amiga. I had a 1200 with an 030, MMU, FPU, 8MB RAM, 80MB HDD and CD-ROM in a tower case with a Canon printer. My friend needed a computer for his college course so I gave him a loan of it. His mum threw it in the bin!

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
                      At least you got to sell your Amiga. I had a 1200 with an 030, MMU, FPU, 8MB RAM, 80MB HDD and CD-ROM in a tower case with a Canon printer. My friend needed a computer for his college course so I gave him a loan of it. His mum threw it in the bin!
                      Oh that’s terrible. My dad threw out my PAL N64 box/polystyrene (in a moment of misunderstanding) and, I suspect, my DK bongos. I could have sold that N64 with the box for a decent sum, especially as I have a Hong Kong 64 and largely NTSC game collection, meaning it’s surplus to requirements.

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
                        Was he and his mum remorseful? I guess the old adage "Never a lender or borrower be" seems to be rather wise. You were a great mate, though. I'd never loan one of my hard-earned, fully-loaded systems to anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by egparadigm View Post
                          Oh that’s terrible. My dad threw out my PAL N64 box/polystyrene (in a moment of misunderstanding) and, I suspect, my DK bongos. I could have sold that N64 with the box for a decent sum, especially as I have a Hong Kong 64 and largely NTSC game collection, meaning it’s surplus to requirements.
                          That's triggered a memory, our first games console was one of those Wood paneled Atari 2600s we got it one Christmas and had some truly terrible games like the awful port of Pacman and the obtuse and confusing ET and raiders of the lost arc ect but a few decent games too like space invaders, Astroids, Pitfall, and frogger.

As with most things it fell out of favor and was cosigned to a cupboard in the lounge with a load of VHS tapes and older toys. Until one day i went to get it out and it was gone. on inquiring where it was it turns out a few days previous my dad had taken Our Atari, and load of toys (Transformers He-man ect), and a handful of our pre-recorded VHS Tapes, and donated them to one of his friends at work who had younger kids.

Comment

Oh well at least it went to a family who likely used it!

Comment

Was he and his mum remorseful? I guess the old adage "Never a lender or borrower be" seems to be rather wise. You were a great mate, though. I'd never loan one of my hard-earned, fully-loaded systems to anyone.
                              His Mum couldn’t have cared less and he couldn’t afford to do anything about replacing it so that was that. That’s when I ended up looking into building my first Windows PC.

Comment

Originally posted by egparadigm View Post
                                Oh well at least it went to a family who likely used it!
                                lol its probably a real nice memory for them the day their dad turned up with a new games console and a boatload of new toys and films.

Comment

Working...
                                X