No announcement yet.

Anniversary 2024

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Superstar Saga, the first game in AlphaDream's Mario & Luigi (AKA Mario & Luigi RPG) series, debuted in the US on the GBA on November 17th.

Comment

In Japan, 25 years ago today.

Comment

What an insanely brilliant system. A brief, wonderful burst of total creativity from Sega. It was the Hollywood New Wave of gaming - they put the power in the hands of the artists and the result was a superlative line-up of unique games, released one after the other.

If Sega hadn't ended up in such dire financial straits by the time of its release it's interesting to wonder what might have been. The original prototype of GTA 3 ran on the DC and the lead platform was only switched to PS2 when Sega threw in the towel.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
          What an insanely brilliant system. A brief, wonderful burst of total creativity from Sega. It was the Hollywood New Wave of gaming - they put the power in the hands of the artists and the result was a superlative line-up of unique games, released one after the other.

If Sega hadn't ended up in such dire financial straits by the time of its release it's interesting to wonder what might have been. The original prototype of GTA 3 ran on the DC and the lead platform was only switched to PS2 when Sega threw in the towel.
          Hmmm.

My relationship with the DC is (surprise!) a little complicated, even though I've still got the one that [MENTION=9865]Colin[/MENTION] sold to me!

To my mind, I do prefer the Saturn but I feel like the DC tried to expand upon the concepts that the Saturn established with the arcade-first focus sprinkled with ambitious for the time original content like Shenmue and others. I do wonder if it would've fared better had it come a little earlier or a little later because it definitely felt like Sega didn't know whether to stick or twist with it.

Comment

If a modern console released today physically looking like the Dreamcast I'd still think it was a looker

Comment

It was well documented that the Dreamcast lost out to the potential of the PS2, if they had gone head to head i think things would of looked a lot differently today. A lots of people where waiting to see what the ps2 could do and passed on the DC, the PS2 was dire in its first year where as the DC had classic after classic released for it.
              Last edited by Lebowski; 08-12-2023, 14:21.

Comment

It's fascinating to consider how a head to head showdown might have played out, if the Saturn had been able to wash its face in the West and carry them through financially to 2000.

Someone is having a go at porting MGS2 to the Dreamcast:

The video clip on that page is interesting to watch. The framerate is poor, but it's MGS2 with an unmistakeable clean-cut Dreamcast look to the graphics.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                  It's fascinating to consider how a head to head showdown might have played out, if the Saturn had been able to wash its face in the West and carry them through financially to 2000.

Someone is having a go at porting MGS2 to the Dreamcast:

The video clip on that page is interesting to watch. The framerate is poor, but it's MGS2 with an unmistakeable clean-cut Dreamcast look to the graphics.
                  Frame rate is god awful, resolution doesn’t look great on my mobile (might be better on desktop). Still interesting to see and enjoyed the locker easter egg at the end!

Comment

To be fair it's being ported by one bloke.

Comment

I love the Dreamcast itself, but the design does remind me a bit of a portable toilet.

Comment

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker.

​​​​Debuted in Japan for the Nintendo GameCube on this day 21 years ago.

Comment

20 years ago tomorrow.

The best Nintendo remake of all-time? Soon to drop on the Nintendo Switch Online + Expansion GBA Pack player??

Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 08-02-2024, 13:32.

Comment

Debuted on Nintendo Switch Online five years ago today. Arguably the service's flagship original title.

Comment

Super Metroid launched on the Super Famicom on this day back in 1994.

Comment

On this day in Japan 35 years ago.

Comment

Working...
                                X