No announcement yet.

Childhood TV - joy, wonder and awe.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Critters hit me up chronic, i was a complete pussy really. I remember that Ghoulies vid in the video shop, too scarey, must shut eyes >_<

My dad let me watch Aliens back in the day and i **** meself, shaking with fear, then father came out with: "If your cold get a blanket!" Ngargh

A few i remember:

Godzilla, it was shown at some ungodly hour on CH4, me and teodi used to stay up and watch them, classic stuff.

Akira, it was on BBC2, parents and family who're visiting suddenly stopped everything to have their heads implode watching it, how can a cartoon be so GOOD.

I remember Flight of the Dragons as well.

One i can't name and hope you lot might help is an old cartoon film. It had this city, were water ways existed instaed of roads, and the sort of police of this city ride on odd jetski things. The thing that i distinctly remember about it was a huge iron giant style robot, which goes onto to destroy this city, releases some small yellow birds from a cage and with a huge fan in his mouth, holds the leader of this city on his hand for him to struggle against it and then the robot blows him away for miles.

The robot sits on top of some rubble and sits there very sad and i can't remember anything else.

It did exist, i didn't dream it up whilst suffering from chickenpox!

Comment

Originally posted by babs
      Ooh, and I forgot Lost Boys too (which may well be mentioned, but deserves another ).
      Best. Vampire. Film. Evar.

Bar none.

Comment

Critters will always stick in my mind for having swearing (yes swearing!) in the critters subtitles.

2 Krites (for I believe that was their name, give or take spelling) sat on the porch of a house.
        "They have weapons"
        "So?"
        *Critter gets shot with shotgun*
        "****!"

Comment

Originally posted by TheShend

I remember Flight of the Dragons as well.

One i can't name and hope you lot might help is an old cartoon film. It had this city, were water ways existed instaed of roads, and the sort of police of this city ride on odd jetski things. The thing that i distinctly remember about it was a huge iron giant style robot, which goes onto to destroy this city, releases some small yellow birds from a cage and with a huge fan in his mouth, holds the leader of this city on his hand for him to struggle against it and then the robot blows him away for miles.

The robot sits on top of some rubble and sits there very sad and i can't remember anything else.
          I believe you're referring to the deeply strange (and quite disturbing) French cartoon Mr Bird to the Rescue.

I've still got this on VHS somewhere... it's beautifully animated but deeply weird. I always associate it with Flight of Dragons, strangely enough, because our dad brought them home on the same day... and Kimba: The White Lion, but that's dead famous, obviously.

Comment

for me my favorites have to be:

back to the future
            went to my local cinema 8 weeks in a row to see this movie, cost almost all of my paper round money but it was great

return of the jedi
            as above - the hamilton odeon must have loved me and i reckon i kept that place open longer than it should have

superman
            the first movie i remember going to the pictures to see

weird science
            the first 15 i managed to get into and see and i was only 12 at the time - felt so proud that i blagged my way in - wow kelly le brock

down and out in beverly hills
            i was 13 and tried to go in and see this, the girl at the ticket counter seen right thru my poor acting and told me to sling my hook - obviously i was a better actor when i was 12
            Last edited by buster_broon; 14-01-2005, 09:46. Reason: kelly le brock

Comment

Anyone remember One Crazy Summer?

80s teen movie of sorts, had Bobcat Goldthwaite in it... in one scene he got stuck inside a Godzilla suit and was running around trashing a model of a town, making his crazy noises.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Salter
                omfg Critters was legendary!!

Where the girl and boy were shagging in the barn and the critters attacked! >_<
                Ah my god I remember Critters! I remember it used to freak me out?

No other film has freaked me out so much before (apart from The Thing. When I first watched that? *shudders*). I even watched Aliens and that had nothing on how psychology disturbed I was by critters.

I think it was because at the time I saw it, I used to spend hours in the evenings in the spair room doing puzzles. In this room is a glass sliding door which looks out into the garden? I used to do my puzzles in total fear trying desperately hard to not look outside? but I was also too scared to move because I thought the critters were out there looking at me, waiting for a sudden move. Heh
                ----Member since April 2002

http://www.redbubble.com/people/adamstone

Comment

The Mortal Kombat film, I remember as a kid that film was like a dream come true, the theme tune still pumps me up to exream levels of hyperness.

Toy story is another great film I remember from when I was a kid to think its almost 10 years old now. How time flys.

Comment

I loved Mortal Kombat too. Still love it. I used to watch this all the time. Don?t really understand why it receives such a huge amount of negative feedback...

Annihilation on the other hand? hmmmm? I remember seeing a preview on Gamesmaster and thinking it looked incredible. Seeing it though was such a huge disappointment.

in fact it was totally crap. ft:
                    Last edited by Adam Stone; 14-01-2005, 11:11.
                    ----Member since April 2002

http://www.redbubble.com/people/adamstone

Comment

Anyone remember Tremors? I remember watching that back to back with Critters when I was 11 or so.

Comment

http://www.cyber-pirates.org/oxid.ph...cbd38.91987250

Tasty!

Comment

Sweet.

Comment

Originally posted by Concept
                            Anyone remember Tremors? I remember watching that back to back with Critters when I was 11 or so.
                            Tremors still rocks my world - the sequels are tosh, but the original is still a great yarn I think.

I still dig heavily on 80s brat-pack type movies -

The Breakfast Club
                            Weird Science
                            Can't Buy Me Love
                            16 Candles
                            Pretty In Pink

plus a few more still get an airing in my house

Comment

Originally posted by anephric
                              I believe you're referring to the deeply strange (and quite disturbing) French cartoon Mr Bird to the Rescue.

I've still got this on VHS somewhere... it's beautifully animated but deeply weird. I always associate it with Flight of Dragons, strangely enough, because our dad brought them home on the same day... and Kimba: The White Lion, but that's dead famous, obviously.
                              Thats it.

Remember Rainbrow Bright the Movie? That messed my head so much >_<

It was for my sister btw, but i had to watch obviously.

My dad had **** loads of VHS vids in those replica book cases ^^ I remember he had a quite a few nasties. Q the winged Serpent i espescially didn't like the look of, it had a X in marker pen but no other certificate. And bad taste as well.

Any film were Ray Harryheusen (sp?) is also a fond past favourite!

Comment

Tremors is in my list of top 5 films EVER, i've seen it a silly amount of times.

Comment

Working...
                                X