No announcement yet.

The Commando Appreciation Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The cut version also omits the scene where the Oak snaps Henriques' neck, and the camera pan along the Bennett pipe at the (ahem) climax.

Comment

We all know you like abit of Bennetts pipe Seany

I watched this again last night on R1 uncut. Film holds dear to my heart I even had a flatop as a kid cas of the film and had arnies poster of Commando on wall for years lol

Comment

Just watching this on ITV4 now, and it reminded me of some trivia..

Back in the 80's and 90's, I was really into my weights/bodybuilding, and used to train at a gym in Forest Gate, East London owned by a guy called Wag Bennett.

Wag's gym was where Arnie used to train in the 60's when he came to the UK, and he and Wag were friends for a very long time. As such, Bennett in the movie was named after Wag..

Wag sadly passed away last year.

Also, as a side note, I met Arnie in the gym on the night he appeared on the Terry Wogan show ..

Comment

Also watching this on ITV4 now. What a classic.

They don't make 'em like they used to!

Comment

even the trailers to his movies are awesome

Comment

I love every Arnie film; even Jingle all the way

You can't go wrong with his action movies. They are always full of quotable lines, great characters and excitement.

My dream at the moment is to have every one of his his films on blu-ray. I'm building the collection. Looking forward to Conan on BD.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Ahoy!
                My dream at the moment is to have every one of his his films on blu-ray. I'm building the collection. Looking forward to Conan on BD.
                I have a single (small) DVD shelf dedicated to Arnie.

The Terminator, Terminator 2, Predator, Total Recall, True Lies, The Running Man, Commando, Kindergarten Cop, Last Action Hero and of course, Jingle All the Way!

Predator and Total Recall are my favourite.

Comment

The last 3 nights have been awesome
                  Sunday - First Blood
                  Monday - Commando
                  Tuesday - Commando

It was the uncut one on ITV4

Plus even the wife who has a terrible taste in movies loves Arnie, Total Recall being her favourite, everytime its on you can hear her mutter to herself Get your ass to Mars and giggles

Now getting the uncut version of that movie its pretty difficult

Comment

Originally posted by Extra Terrestrial View Post
                    I have a single (small) DVD shelf dedicated to Arnie.

The Terminator, Terminator 2, Predator, Total Recall, True Lies, The Running Man, Commando, Kindergarten Cop, Last Action Hero and of course, Jingle All the Way!

Predator and Total Recall are my favourite.
                    I have a few on DVD: Red Heat, Raw Deal, Conan. My BD collection contains what is available. There are a lot that haven't been released yet.

Predator is pretty poor on DVD. I hear the BD isn't much better. The excuse is that the original print is said to be weak. People say it was a low budget film. I've always thought it was a big film and immensely popular.

Maybe one day, we'll get a great looking Predator BD? ... I hope so.

I was reading about Aliens - and someone mentioned how cool it would have been if Arnie had been in an Alien film - taking on the Aliens. That would have been fantastic.

Comment

Probably... closest we'll ever get will be the Capcom coin-op...
                      Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Thank God Commando is now freely being broadcast uncut, the (not particularly gruesome) gore merely adds to the spirit of the film. I remember C4 showing it uncut early last year. What is perplexing is that UK DVD of it, it's still doing the rounds, Morrisons currently have it at ?2.99 (unless they've replaced the old 2001 disc with an uncut one???) That is a proper shocking DVD, very disturbing, the packaging is brilliantly Commando, yet the film on the disc could quite easily be broadcast on CBeebies.

Someone please tell me that the cut-to-buggery Region 2 version isn't doing the rounds anymore(???)

Originally posted by buster_broon View Post
                        Now getting the uncut version of that movie its pretty difficult
                        I think the 'non-uncut' version is the only way to go as far as Total Recall goes - the 'uncut' version has never been released, and the actual stuff it purportedly has over the freely available '18'-rated version isn't really all that, just a few slightly extended moments (the original is still pretty graphic anyway - and a brilliant film, btw).

Comment

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
                          I think the 'non-uncut' version is the only way to go as far as Total Recall goes - the 'uncut' version has never been released, and the actual stuff it purportedly has over the freely available '18'-rated version isn't really all that, just a few slightly extended moments (the original is still pretty graphic anyway - and a brilliant film, btw).
                          Seems Australia where the only ones to get get the full uncut version on VHS then when DVD came it it went back to the international version

but i'm sure i've seen the uncut one, the scene where Quiad blabbed - in the parking lot seems awful short to me and i'm sure i've seen one where it's definately longer with more violence

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
                            Probably... closest we'll ever get will be the Capcom coin-op...

The best Arnie videogame.

Comment

I love the trailer tagline to Raw Deal: "They tried to give Schwarzenegger a raw deal. NOBODY gives Schwarzenegger a raw deal"

LOL not even used his characters name.

Another classic (non-Aaahrnuuld):

"Science created him. Now Chuck Norris must destroy him"

Tremendous!

Comment

Leon Ahoy, where can i get my hands on that arcade game?!?! was it ported to a console? I NEED to play it! Side scrolling FTW!

On a sepearte note, i watched Commando all the way through last night, couldnt resist it......... and i can confirm it is the uncut version! VERY gruesome in various parts.........

I was in hysteric when Arnie blew up the barracks on the island, as you can clearly see dummy soldiers propped up by the light weight structures............ I remember when someone i used to know schooled me on how unrealistic Arnies ability to fire an assault rifle one-handed was in his movies. Apparently, the recoil on firing rounds consecutively, will have it bouncing all over the place - doesn't matter how strong Arnies 'stronger' arm is see what i did there? weak arm/strong arm? Sully, cliff part? No? Meh.............

Not to rain on anyones chips and gravy, but ive never liked Bennet much.......... he always looked, inferior technically and physically in the movie, hell he looked out of shape full stop........ But his character and accent is what i am assuming, where his fan base come from

Oh i saw Billy from Predator, like someone said earlier on this thread........... and i recognised Hudson's voice, before his face popped on screen lol........... funny how much you pick up when watching a movie again, after so many years..........

I was so caught up in my Nostalgic moment, i went and got the Running Man lol........ can't wait to watch it now!

Comment

Working...
                                X