Firefly / Serenity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by asnozz
    can i just remind everyone to go out and buy the dvd on monday (or people who want to see the series continued)
    Go and buy the DVD so they make more films! Joss has ruled out ever returning to Firefly/Serenity in a TV context, but is definitely interested in doing a second movie.

Comment

In fact, IIRC, this is going to be released as a TPB sometime this year.
      This one?

http://www.play.com/play247.asp?pa=p...K&title=838952

Comment

Serenity arrived today, so I've got a Firefly weekend lined up.

Comment

Saw this on monday, thought it was pretty good. I don't see what all the fuss is about the characters though, they seemed very bland and cliched to me. I guess you'd have to be into Firefly to "get" them though.

Still, the film had enough decent set pieces to make it well worth a watch.

Comment

How is there anything cliched about Mal Reynolds????

But yeah I would agree that if you had seen Firefly you would be much more invested in the chracters and know all about the quirks that make each one special and unique.

But considering Firefly is probabaly the best show ever made, you should have seen it before hand dammit!!

As for the movie, while not quite up to the standards of the TV show, saying the best thing about it were decent set pecies is totally off the mark. It feels so fresh and the way it plays out is so original when compared to other sci-fi movies. The fact that it has such a great bunch of actors in it and a script full of fantastic dialogue just make it even better still.
            Last edited by rmoxon; 03-03-2006, 18:53.

Comment

I advised my mum to get the Firefly DVD set thinking it'd be something she'd enjoy, now she's interested in seeing Serenity. She's saying that the story of Serenity seems to be the same as the first episode of Firefly (also called Serenity), so she's wondering if it's basically the same thing with more bells and whistles or something completely different?

Sorry for the probably daft question, but I'm allergic to Joss Whedon so I can't really help her. IMDB has provided no answer either.

Comment

The film takes place a while after the show, its a continuation, nothing is really repeated, besides the film just giving you a little bit of backstory. This is why its a lot better if you have seen the show first really.

Comment

Nice one, I'll tell her.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by rmoxon
                    How is there anything cliched about Mal Reynolds????

As for the movie, while not quite up to the standards of the TV show, saying the best thing about it were decent set pecies is totally off the mark. It feels so fresh and the way it plays out is so original when compared to other sci-fi movies. The fact that it has such a great bunch of actors in it and a script full of fantastic dialogue just make it even better still.
                    Didn't you ever see Han Solo? Heh...

I never at any time thought "What amazing zingers this script has", but then I never thought it was bad either. What I did like about it was the whole "sci-fi western" fell of it. A bit like Trigun only not.

Comment

You should probably watch Firefly.

Comment

Originally posted by Chadruharazzeb
                        Didn't you ever see Han Solo? Heh...
                        Han Solo was nowhere near as deep. He was not scared from a war he lost. His dark side was nowhere near as dark, and he DEFFINITLEY never had anywhere near as good dialogue. Han Solo was care free and cockey, Mal can just as often be the oposite of that as he can be the same as it. Han Solo started out never caring about anyone but himself (and chewy) Mal Reynolds would die for his crew and anything he belives in and that was always set in stone from the start. They actually have very little in common deep down.

Plus if you had bothered to watch the show before hand like you should have!!!!! then you would have seen that there are many more sides to Mal than just the ones seen in the movie.

The movie starts out with him depressed and angry (which we never really saw Han Solo act like to much of an extent btw) and then his heroic mode, but thats it. The show put him through many more emotions and Nathan Fillion is such a fantastic actor, its one of the best Characters in TV ever IMO.

The Place where Mal was at the start of the movie is one of the things I don't think the film did as good a job of explaining as it perhapse should have, hes not usualy that down on people, he had no money and couldnt even affoard food for his crew, it was a much darker introduction to his chracter than the show gave us.

Thats what Joss Whedon does so well, he develops characters, none of them are cliched becuase they are forever changing, you can't see that so well in a two hour movie, but even though the show was canceled during its first season there is quite a bit of it there.
                        Last edited by rmoxon; 04-03-2006, 16:12.

Comment

I just started watching Firefly, I hadn't planned on it, I actually thought it was just going to be another low budget sci-fi series in space. Bloody hell, was I wrong. Its immense. It's actualy somewhat perfect, the balance of sci-fi, action, humor. The characters are all so likeable, and the captin is nothing short of a legend. I honestly can't belive this got cancled!! Bring it back dammit!

Comment

Another Browncoat enters the fold. Welcome, Zanza.

Comment

Completely finished the series today, and followed it with Serenity, and about every extra feature they could pack onto the dvd's, which had some pretty decent "on set" stuff. Nathan Fillion is such a legend, Malacom Reynolds is probably my favourite screen hero only second to Indiana Jones. The universe is so well crafted too, its not such a distant reality like starwars is (even more so in the recent films) or even startreck (where everything can have its polarity reversed and every situation is escapable). It's actually a pretty belivable future, life isn't easy for everyone, they don't have a high tech ship with photon torpedo's or warp capabilities, and their weapons are clearly not the latest technology. It still has the whole utopian societies, mega cities, flying cars, but it manages to escape all of these classic sci-fi settings and aim at the backwashed areas, out of reach, where everyone struggles to get by, and it works really well.

It's nice to have some closure on the series, but I really hope the director gets a chance to continue his work in some form or another, he certainly seems to have the fans for it.

Comment

Alas, not enough fans. Conservative estimates put Serenity at just about scraping even, the likelihood is that overall it lost money. Seemingly the film just wasn't mainstream appealing enough to expand the audience much beyond fans of the show. A crying shame, but at least we got one film. And I guess you never know, if Joss' Wonder Woman does really really well he might get a bit more control over his own destiny within the industry.

Comment

Working...
                                X