No announcement yet.

Gig Going Thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’m going to an orchestral rendition of Dr Dre’s 2001 tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
      I’m going to an orchestral rendition of Dr Dre’s 2001 tonight.
      Oh mate, he's having you on.

It's Strauss that's used on 2001.

He's not a real doctor either.

Sorry to be the one to break all of this to you, but you might still be able to get a refund.

Comment

Oh BOLLOCKS!

I was going to skip Download this year, but the Smashing Pumpkins are going to be playing.

I've wanted them to play there for yeeeears.

If they do a heavy set, it'll be amazing.

Comment

The additions to the Download lineup are great. Slayer, Anthrax, EODM and Royal Republic are all great live. I’m a bit dubious about the Pumpkins though. I gave up on them after the Mellon Collie album which seemed to be their peak. No doubt I’ll still go to see them though.

All we need now is Lawnmower Deth, Babymetal, Evil Scarecrow, Love Bites and Dead Cross for festival perfection. And as a self indulgent piece of wishful thinking I’d like to see Otoboke Beaver there too.

Comment

If I go, I'll take you up on that square sausage sandwich if I go next year, mate!

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
              If I go, I'll take you up on that square sausage sandwich if I go next year, mate!
              Magic. I’ll need to sneak you into RIP somehow. But if you make it in there will be square and loads of chilled Brewdog beers.

Comment

That sounds amazing, truth be told!

As for the Pumpkins, giving up on them after Mellon Collie (1995!) seems a bit early!

There's been mixed output over the years as Billy Corgan has changed staff, but there's been some absolute corkers.

I'm more of a fan of the heavier stuff these days, but there's plenty of meat in the albums post-Mellon Collie.
                I'll be happy if they play any of these:
                Adore (1998)
                Ava Adore
                Perfect

Machina (2000)
                The Everlasting Gaze
                Stand Inside Your Love
                Heavy Metal Machine

Machina II (2000)
                Glass' Theme
                Cash Car Star
                White Spyder
                Soul Power

Zeitgeist
                (2007)
                Doomsday Clock
                Tarantula
                United States

Oceania (2012)
                Panopticon
                Pinwheels

Monuments to an Elegy (2014)
                This one was rrrrubbish, tbh

Shiny and Oh So Bright Vol. 1 (2018 - just released)
                Solara
                Alienation
                Seek and You Shall Destroy

Comment

I do have Adore and Zeitgeist but never listen to them these days. Maybe it’s time to put them on again?

Comment

Adore is such a curious beast.
                    Mellon Collie was a juggernaut that propelled them to superstardom after it went 10 time platinum.
                    Jimmy Chamberlin and their touring keyboardist, Jonathan Melvoin both overdosed on heroin and the latter subsequently died, so Chamberlin was fired.
                    Corgan's mother had died and he got divorced.
                    So all of this made for a drum-free electronica album full of solemn sings.
                    I think "For Martha" (his mother) is beautiful and touching, but I wouldn't want to mosh to it.

Live, some of these tracks ("Ava Adore" especially) sound a lot better rockier, IMHO.

Zeitgeist saw the return of Jimmy Chamberlin and the two of them made the album using analogue recording methods.
                    It's never going to be as good as their earlier albums, but I quite like it.
                    Tarantula is a proper heavy Pumpkins anthem and I love United States.
                    It get to the end of the track and just breaks down to drums (which JC did in one take) and feedback, then builds back up to this crescendo that is amazing! Live, they can tend to drag out this section, but when it comes back in, I love it!

I should try and do a heavy Pumpkins Spotify tracklist!

Comment

For a very long time, I've seen the Pumpkins as "Billy Corgan and whoever can put up with him long enough to tour".

Despite having never seen them, I've turned down a load of opportunities to see them in recent years as it just doesn't appeal to me any more. I made it a bit further than CMcK - as far as Machina (and I'd even go so far as to say 'Stand Inside Your Love' might be my favourite track of theirs ever), but the hit/miss ratio was already out of control by that point.

edit: just remembered the opening line of this article
                      Last edited by fuse; 27-11-2018, 13:47.

Comment

Took in Muse at the Royal Albert Hall with Boris last night, my first time in the venue and it really is a sight to behold.
                        Of all the muse gigs I’ve taken in, even at the barrowlands back in’t day, I must say I enjoyed this one the most.
                        Standing area had enough breathing space to have a good move about when required, sound was good at least where I was and they played a great assortment of tracks.

They debuted a 15 minute medley of heavier tracks and as soon as Assassin started playing I almost ascended, then it was cut short for reapers GOD DAMMIT.

They also played Showbiz as well, hearing that track alone made the ticket price worth it.

Roll on London Stadium next year, that’s gonna be crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by Family Fry View Post
                          Took in Muse at the Royal Albert Hall with Boris last night, my first time in the venue and it really is a sight to behold.
                          Of all the muse gigs I’ve taken in, even at the barrowlands back in’t day, I must say I enjoyed this one the most.
                          Standing area had enough breathing space to have a good move about when required, sound was good at least where I was and they played a great assortment of tracks.

They debuted a 15 minute medley of heavier tracks and as soon as Assassin started playing I almost ascended, then it was cut short for reapers GOD DAMMIT.

They also played Showbiz as well, hearing that track alone made the ticket price worth it.

Great stuff!

Reapers is great, especially for running!

I don't think they'll ever top that Download Festival setlist, but Showbiz would've made it perfect.

Showbiz got me into Muse in the first place.
                          Glastonbury 2000 BBC coverage seemed really biased towards all the dance bands and a few Indie bands, then they showed footage of Muse on The Other Stage.
                          Matt Bellamy squinting at the crowd with the sun in his face with that one note riff that opens Showbiz on his Parker Fly and I was sold.
                          They trash their kit at the end and it was just a breath of fresh air in the festival coverage.

Comment

Originally posted by Family Fry View Post

They debuted a 15 minute medley of heavier tracks and as soon as Assassin started playing I almost ascended, then it was cut short for reapers GOD DAMMIT

I’m well jealous! Sounds like it was a great night.
                            I see Muse have added a show in Bristol next year. Fingers crossed for a Scottish date. Preferably not clashing with Download.

Comment

Saw Clutch last supported by The Picturebooks. Both were brilliant. Been a fan of The Picturebooks since I saw them supporting Monster Truck. These lads deserve to be much bigger. They are back in Scotland in May with a new album due soon.
                              As for Clutch they never let you down and played a cracking set. Was a tad short but lots of good tunes.

Comment

The Picturebooks are awesome. We watched them play a gig so hard the drummer broke his wrist!

Comment

Working...
                                X