No announcement yet.

Gig Going Thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, similarly double jabbed, but even outside, crowds are a worry for me.

In similar 'not my bag' fashion, I had tickets to attend Slam Dunk festival, mainly as an excuse to get together with some friends. When I originally booked (for 2019), the only band on the lineup I was actually keen for was Refused, who promptly fell off the bill after the first postponement. I took a refund for my ticket, eventually the rest of my friends did the same, and while I'm glad they were finally able to go ahead with the festival two years later this last weekend, I felt very uncomfortable just from looking at the pictures of the crowds.

Your experience sounds particularly crap, even before considering being on edge the whole time about throngs of people being up in your face!

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post
      Yeah, similarly double jabbed, but even outside, crowds are a worry for me.
      I have to admit as the venue filled up on Saturday night for the headliner I was feeling quite anxious in the crowd. It had only been four days since I had finished isolating having Covid. I had to “pop outside for fresh air”. Once back in and the band were on I did feel easier but the train on the way home was packed and barely a face covering in sight. Not good. I kept my mask on. It’s silly I suppose as my immunity should be about as high as it’ll ever get now but it does put some doubt in your mind.

Comment

The crowds for Iboza Proms in the Park were really spread out and it was outside, so I was probably worried for nothing.
        It only got slightly busier down the front, but nothing like the moshpit from a festival.

I keep seeing footage from festivals in the US and it makes me a bit anxious.
        Mainly the Limp Bizkit set at Lollapalooza and the Hellamagatour (Weezer/Green Day/Fall Out Boy).

Wrapped Lollapalooza Ends With Massive Crowds In Chicago Amid Fears Of COVID Super Spreader Event

What COVID crisis? See thousands cram into two concerts over the weekend in Florida

We've just had Reading/Leeds over here, just before the universities and schools go back, but hopefully the vaccinations will have made a difference.

Talking of Reading/Leeds, there's a guitarist I really like called Rabea.
        He has a YouTube channel reviewing gear for Andertons, but I mainly know him from the sublime cover of "Africa" with Frogleap Studios. I've lost count of how many times I've watched this:

However, he got randomly picked to play with Stormzy at his headliner set at Reading & Leeds.
        Stormzy, although a Grime artist, wanted to pay homage to the festival's rock roots, so drafted in Rabea to bring the riffs.
        I watched this video last night and he's a totally humble, interesting and honest guy and it's great to see him get exposure on such a massive platform:

Wrapped Lollapalooza Ends With Massive Crowds In Chicago Amid Fears Of COVID Super Spreader Event

Comment

went to Biffy Clyro at Glasgow green last night

just an amazing spectacle, support bands were alright

Yungblud were better than expected and Porridge Radio not that great, Miss Frank Carter and the Rattlesnakes

But Biffy were just spectacular

Comment

Yeah the Biff were great last night. And we got Jaggy Snake!

Comment

There's no such thing!

Comment

Tool are resuming their Fear Inoculum tour - link. I was going to post that I was torn on this, on account of not liking this album, and actively hating the O2 Arena, while simultaneously recognising them as possibly my favourite live band on the planet. In the process of getting the link above I realised that the pre-sale for O2 customers had begun already, and I buckled. I'm probably going to need to swap my usual earplugs for a directional microphone and a telescope, but I'll be there.

Also ATG have started announcing more acts for their '22 lineup, and once again it's basically My Music Taste: The Festival.

Oranssi Pazuzu, Amenra, Cult of Luna, Oathbreaker, Opeth, Frontierer, Mono, Alcest... bloody hell.

Comment

Cheers for the Scottish date Tool.

There’s some good stuff in that ArcTangent lineup. I’d be tempted just to see Mono, Perturbator and Opeth.

Comment

Last couple of gigs for this year. Saw The Hives and The Offspring on Saturday night. Man the Hydro still sounds terrible. And last night it was Eagles of Death Metal at Galvanisers (SWG3). Both good gigs and a good way to round things off before crap Transformer variant takes it all away again.

Comment

Yeah, hovering over buying a couple of gig tickets, but not sure what's going to happen.
                      Deffo masking up, though.

Comment

I've tickets for Bossk and DVNE this Wednesday but I think I'm going to pass. I've already pulled out of a bunch of other social events, and those I have gone ahead with have made me very aware of how uncomfortable I am in crowds right now. Have the chance to catch Bossk again at Beyond the Redshift in Feb if I'm feeling ready by then, but I'm already pulling faces thinking about that being a mere 3 months away.

Comment

I think you've made the right decision, Fuse.
                          I've bought the tickets and am going to go, but I'm wearing a hazmat suit.
                          Still a bit nervous.

You have to show your covid pass, but realistically, people could easily have caught it between jab 2 and now.

I actually bought a flashing facemask to make a depressing thing into a fun thing.

Comment

Quick update.

I went to both gigs but was uncomfortable with the amount of people not wearing a mask.
                            Mainly at The Darkness as Orange Goblin was a lot quieter.
                            Both bands had their support acts pull out before their tour ended after a band member caught Covid...

The Darkness were amazing. I think people see them as a novelty, but I really rate them. Both Dan and Justin Hawkins are astounding musicians, with the former having a great sound, cranking the riffs on every song. Their songs are not only fairly heavy, but lyrically they're clever and funny too.
                            They have great stage presence with Justin controlling the crowd and being super-upbeat. In "Get Your Hands Off Of My Woman", he did a headstand and lead the clapping with his feet.
                            Been buzzing since, listening to their new album, their first album and the live album from last Christmas that just dropped onto Prime Music.

Orange Goblin decided to quit their jobs and go fulltime as a band a few years back, so Lockdown has really hit them.
                            As a fan, I've paid to watch a couple of live shows and a live album, so I was pleased to see them live again.

The gig was a bit of a disappointment, though, if I'm honest.
                            The band are still tight, even with their new bassist. Their guitarist, Joe Hoare is astonishingly talented and one of my fave UK guitarists as he riffs away, holding the sound together:
                            In Search of Tone with Joe Hoare of Orange Goblin – The next interview in the series about guitars, guitar amps and guitar FX

However, their lead singer is a bit boozy, which is fine to a point, but the last two times, he's had too much by the time he's on stage and he gets a bit ranty. I didn't mind him calling Boris a "ponce", but when he's having a go at the crowd, it's a bit off.
                            There were only a fraction of the normal crowd size so most people were standing in their own space and he was moaning that people were stood with their arms folded and saying they were like zombies. Not ideal when people are taking a risk to see and support them.
                            Worse still, he sings a bit flat when he's had a bit much too. He really needs some in-ear monitors to combat that.
                            I just think if it's your job, you need to have fun, but also be a little bit professional about it and stay sober.

I was really looking forward to it and happy to support them, so was a bit disappointed.

I'd never say it to his face, though. He's a 7 foot man-mountain.

Sorry, had to get that off my chest.

Comment

my next gig was a small acoustic set by biffy clyro in dundee, been postponed due to the new Scottish mini lockdown

Comment

I’m due see Godspeed You! Black Emperor in two weeks time at the Barras but I’m thinking it might end up postponed.

Comment

Working...
                                X