The Wire - US Cop/Gangster Show!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SmokeMeAKipper View Post
    Definitely - I didn't start getting into it until about episode 6 or 7 and after that I was hooked. Persevere!
    THIS! - I was exactly like the above and now can't get enough. I watched Season 3 in a one day sitting this Sunday gone. On with Season 4 at the minute.

I've got The Corner ordered in anticipation of finishing all five seasons of The Wire and I'm contemplating buying Homicide: Life on the Street.

Season 2 has been my fave so far, the guy who played Frank Sobtzka was brilliant.

Comment

Originally posted by Supergoal View Post
      Loads of people were bugging me to watch this. I had completely missed it till now.
      EVERYONE said it's awesome but I just, can't, feel it yet...

Watched up the Season 1's 4th episode.
      It's good but it feels so samey like cop shows before. Is it a slow burner??
      I'm with you on this dude. I just can't see what all the fuss is about. I watched up to episode 4 of series one too but just didn't get it. Of course, everyone has said the same to me: that you have to stick with it and it gets so much better etc. I'm not saying it doesn't but why would you persevere with something that doesn't grab you? I'm not saying things need to grab you from the first minute but there has to be something in there that makes it appealing. But I couldn't see anything and I believe that four episodes of anything is enough to make a judgement.

Compare to this to The Shield, which had me hooked completely from episode one. I only started watching it about a month ago but I've already bought the complete boxset of every season.
      Don't look at me, I'm irrelevant.

Comment

What's the Shield? Maybe I'd prefer that instead.

Comment

I finished watching the first series. It was alright but nothing special. I guess it's horses for courses.

Comment

You should definitely check out The Shield mate.
            It's basically about a bad cop called Vic Mackey and the strike team he leads in an LA precinct. They deal with all the gangs and drug lords etc. and it's a bit like the Sweeney in that they tend to take a 'punch people first; ask questions later' approach. It's far more action orientated than The Wire but is still really intriguing with all sorts of sub-plots going on.
            Don't look at me, I'm irrelevant.

Comment

I once heard The Wire described as an episode of The Shield stretched out over five seasons, which kind of explains the difference in pace.

The Wire is possibly my favourite ever TV show, and although I'm only three and a bit seasons into The Shield I'd say that it was essential viewing too.

Comment

Rise from your gwave! The Wire RPG by CollegeHumour : http://www.collegehumor.com/video/6821163/the-wire-rpg

Comment

Originally posted by shinobi7000 View Post
                  Rise from your gwave! The Wire RPG by CollegeHumour : http://www.collegehumor.com/video/6821163/the-wire-rpg
                  Very funny video, thanks

Comment

Just finished season 1 and 2 - bloody excellent show. Acting, script, direction, this is seriously great across the board. Starting season 3 now, looks like it will be just as good as the first 2.

Comment

Its the best thing ever on TV. Havent seen The Sheild but Sopranoes and Mad Men are great but not near it IMHO. The only thing that gets close is Breaking Bad in terms of quality.

Comment

Working...
                      X