Red Dwarf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
    Part of me suspects that's where the story is going. Like, it will end with - it's all in your hands and a phone vote or something. But then would a channel like Dave have the money for a series? I know almost nothing about them but most compatible channels wouldn't unless it was a co-pro with someone big.
    Dave is 50% owned by BBC Worldwide (so it falls a bit outside of the charter) and 50% virgin media. They do have decent financial backing if needed.

Regardless, it's definately improved Dave's profile and I could easily see them trying more revivals in the future

Comment

"Quali-teh"

Comment

Watching 3rd one now, the 4th wall lays shattered into a million pieces

Also "i dont get it"

Wait a minute, League of Gentlemen did this very same theme (as a tv special i recall), characters become self aware that they are indeed fictitious characters, travel to "the real world" and demand more life from their creators

Oh the blade runner sendup is kind of funny hehe....or maybe a travesty...yeah that one

hmm ok they saved it in the end, quite happy
        Last edited by Largo; 12-04-2009, 20:22.

Comment

ok-ish, guessed the twist a mile off. Overall the series gets a 'meh'

Comment

The whole plot of these 3 parts was a complete waste of time, its a clear excercise of the shared station owners trying out New Red Dwarf to see how commercially viable/profitable it will be for them to commission series 9, 10, whatever. Fair enough, they need to make money but I felt absolutley no love or respect for the fans who've stuck by the creators/actors.

I can handle no Holly (just about), no staged laughter or even any relavence to whats gone before but for them to chuck out 3 30 min episodes with adverts in thats purely aimed at getting a series funded and hail it as the second coming means we got hyped up for nothing.
            Last edited by bash; 12-04-2009, 20:50.

Comment

Yeah I think they misjudged what the fans wanted and their feelings to the show.

Red Dwarf was a much loved series that faded in in the last few series. People wanted to see it go out in a blaze of glory. This kind of self worship was cringeworthy. The plot was a bad decision but they shoud've been a lot tougher on themselves if they were going to go this route.

Comment

I thought the last part was a bit pants. Very few if any laughs. The Blade Runner stuff totally clashed with the real world stuff and fell victim to the worst crime of bad parody - simply recreating a scene without actually adding anything funny. French and Saunders used to do that years ago.

Overall, while I found the second part funny, I thought this was rather poor. Made all the worse by the end resolution referencing one of the highlight episodes of the show. This does not fare well in the comparison.

Comment

Originally posted by abigsmurf View Post
                  ok-ish, guessed the twist a mile off. Overall the series gets a 'meh'
                  I guessed that twist seeing as the 2nd hologram appeared when the leviaton buggered off it twas a predictable affair from then on.

Comment

So they basically ripped themselves off, rehashing jokes gone by, chucked them all into a rehash of the league of gentlemen film, added bladerunner references...went all serious with Lister/Kochanski, then ****ed it all off and ended on a lame joke, with yet again...no closure.

They could have done so much more...even when it looked like Lister was staying and it was quite emotional, they rushed his decision afterwards and it was all over, very suddenly, again.

I'm actually still slightly in disbelief that they used the despair squid again. I've waited 10 years to see this show again, 10 ****ing years. We better get a proper series from this...

Comment

Does anyone want to see a new series get commisioned without a Holly or decent gags for the stage audience to laugh to?

I'm beginning to agree with older fans who say that its not been the same since the lack of Rob Grant, although I found series 8 a big improvement over 7.

Im depressed

Comment

Originally posted by bash View Post
                        Does anyone want to see a new series get commisioned without a Holly or decent gags for the stage audience to laugh to?

I'm beginning to agree with older fans who say that its not been the same since the lack of Rob Grant, although I found series 8 a big improvement over 7.

Im depressed
                        yes please, I thought it was great fun

Comment

Originally posted by bash View Post
                          Im depressed
                          I feel quite low as well but yes, I'd like a new series with Hatty Hayridge back as Holly, and the series being subtitled (as such) "The search for Kochanski" and for the show to finally end with them being together, and the rest of the crew getting a bit of happiness, then...just leave it be, for once, as a Dwarf fan to have some closure on it.

Comment

There was no stage audience in the last season. A stage audience won't create jokes where none are written. The show could survive a lack of audience if they actually wrote some good jokes. And Holly was replaced once and could be replaced again.

But none of the details would matter if the writing wasn't good. And this writing duo needed both parties. A real shame. Maybe Graham Linehen would join with Naylor. Or any funny writer.

Comment

wacthed all 3, enjoyable overall, not brilliant but im glad they made them, just hope they can make a proper series , but i doubt thery will

Comment

Aparently theyre watching torrent sites for US interest in the show and UK sales of the DVD/Blu-ray before making a decision on series 10.... yes series 10, not 9... odd eh.

Comment

Working...
                                X