No announcement yet.

Red Dwarf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Even if it was all you describe, Leon, after 10 years with what potentially could be the last Red Dwarf episodes ever, I'd say an "appetiser" is poor show.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
      Even if it was all you describe, Leon, after 10 years with what potentially could be the last Red Dwarf episodes ever, I'd say an "appetiser" is poor show.
      I agree that the whole thing was strange. It seems pretty surreal that after 10-years, you get three new episodes on a channel called DAVE.

The whole thing did seem rushed. Like a mere taster of what could be. The cast are a magic bunch - and the Red Dwarf atmosphere was still apparent( just in a watered down way ) ... so I did enjoy what I saw.

I can understand the negativity from certain people, but I think some of it is very harsh. The three episodes proved a few things:

1. The cast are still fully capable.

2. Red Dwarf is still exciting and full of potential.

3. Even though the new episodes weren't brilliant, they were still more fun than most of the rubbish on tv.

The way the third episode ends, suggests a proper season is a strong possibility. I urge every Red Dwarf fan to believe that a brand new season could be great. Don't let the three new episodes cloud your judgment, just because they don't match some of the classics made in the past.

Comment

I agree with the 1st but disagree with the 2nd and 3rd points. IMO these specials proved that RD potential has all but run dry if they've ignored the season 8 finale AND rehashed an idea from an older episode.

Whilst I agree most TV is rubbish these episodes were not better for me than say episodes of Scrubs, the inbetweeners or The Big Bang theory to name 3. In fact I would argue that the latest RD actually contributed to the rubbish on TV.

Comment

By a strange twist of fate, when I setup the series link to record these 3 specials I also end up with a load of classic Red Dwarf on my V+ box. Picked one at random to watch and it was Back to Reality which only served to demonstrate how poor these new specials were.

The whole thing just seemed really odd and disjointed really. They clearly identified that they were in our present day (both with the John Lewis and Coronation Street scenes) then they had the really weird skyscraper scene and it felt very weird (where was it supposed to be?) I understand it was meant to be ribbing Blade Runner but it just came across as strange.

Probably the only part I really found funny was (and this surprised me as well) the Coronation Street part.

And the complete lack of continuity with what happened in series 8 did bug me too. Why was Rimmer a hologram again?

Comment

This is directed at no one in particular, but the problem I find with going on forums to read peoples opinions is that most of the time they are always telling me how rubbish something is. I find this mostly overwelming on forums and it does make me question why I am reading and posting on here. The problem is that the internet allows any idiot to voice their opinion, and a lot of them criticise everything and anything for the smallest things, rather than just taking a more relaxed attitude, instead of being ready to post how bad something is. It's like they are actively seeking the bad points.

For me (looking at all 3 parts together) I found Red Dwarf very enjoyable, they had a lot of funny moments, as well as more upsetting and dramatic moments with characters who I still cared about; and there was a good story and theme idea that was in keeping with previous Red Dwarfs.

I accept that it wasn't as good as previous episodes, and that some points weren't cleared up from the previous season, but I can confidently say it's not rubbish TV.
            Last edited by Malc; 14-04-2009, 10:59.

Comment

They need to go Darkplace IMO and make everything look cheap like earlier series. Special effects only serves to hinder Dwarf.

Malc, I think the point is that they could and should have been way better. I don't know if its my taste in comedy changing but some of the jokes were embarassing to watch. On my own.

Comment

Originally posted by Malc View Post
                This is directed at no one in particular, but the problem I find with going on forums to read peoples opinions is that most of the time they are always telling me how rubbish something is.
                Maybe people's opinion is just that it was a bit, well, rubbish?

Just because something isn't the worst comedy ever (which this wasn't) doesn't mean we should be looking on it favourably whilst musing about how "it could have been worse".

It could (and has in the past) have been a lot better.

Comment

Originally posted by cutmymilk View Post

Malc, I think the point is that they could and should have been way better. I don't know if its my taste in comedy changing but some of the jokes were embarassing to watch. On my own.
                  Mate, your taste hasnt changed. I thought the same thing about it but when I watched the episode with the suicide squid after I realised that it was genuienly funny and these new ones mostly werent.

Malc, sorry you find looking at opinions in forums so negative. Maybe its easier for most people to vent then to praise. I remember getting annoyed at the negativity in the Transformers movie thread but I still respect most opinions.

The beauty of this place is I can confidently say it WAS rubbish TV because its IMHO.
                  Last edited by bash; 14-04-2009, 11:31.

Comment

Originally posted by C' View Post
                    Maybe people's opinion is just that it was a bit, well, rubbish?

Just because something isn't the worst comedy ever (which this wasn't) doesn't mean we should be looking on it favourably whilst musing about how "it could have been worse".

It could (and has in the past) have been a lot better.
                    I don't really know why these three new episodes were created. All the creators have done is show the fans that the cast are still up for it.

They weren't really three new episodes; more like one long episode split into three pieces. The story would have been done in one episode of the old show. It seems like the creators felt restrained by the fact that a whole new season wasn't open to them, so they ended up creating something that isn't really satisfying.

It's clear that the three episodes were created to test the waters. It was certainly a risky choice, and one that hasn't really worked out, seeing that the response has been largely negative.

I personally enjoyed the new stuff. What I realised from watching it, is that the cast aren't too old for a new season. I believe that with the right commitment from a tv channel - the Red Dwarf people could fully commit to a season with proper episodes that feel more complete and satisfying.

Comment

Originally posted by Malc View Post
                      This is directed at no one in particular, but the problem I find with going on forums to read peoples opinions is that most of the time they are always telling me how rubbish something is. I find this mostly overwelming on forums and it does make me question why I am reading and posting on here. The problem is that the internet allows any idiot to voice their opinion, and a lot of them criticise everything and anything for the smallest things, rather than just taking a more relaxed attitude, instead of being ready to post how bad something is. It's like they are actively seeking the bad points.

For me (looking at all 3 parts together) I found Red Dwarf very enjoyable, they had a lot of funny moments, as well as more upsetting and dramatic moments with characters who I still cared about; and there was a good story and theme idea that was in keeping with previous Red Dwarfs.

I accept that it wasn't as good as previous episodes, and that some points weren't cleared up from the previous season, but I can confidently say it's not rubbish TV.
                      When you're a reviewer the thing you dread most isn't the awful titles, it's the average, mediocre. People don't like spending time writing about things that don't evoke strong emotion.

As there are more things that are bad than are really good, you tend to get more people being negative than positive when it comes to people choosing what to write about.

Comment

New series on it's way, in HD, on Sky Anytime...

UKTV announces that a high definition version of Red Dwarf: Back to Earth is coming to Sky Anytime.

Comment

New series? You mean the back to earth short...?

Or am I going blind.

Comment

Sorry, no, you're right. Directors Cut in HD innit. My mistake. Long week

Comment

Wouldnt wish it on anyone to watch twice. IT was a poor episode the first time around when they did that story so god knows why they had to redo it again in these episodes.

Comment

The back to Earth mini series was depressingly mediocre. Had a handful of reasonable gags but was way way too self indulgent.

Comment

Working...
                                X