Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Active audience could be ok as long as you agree with the subject of the cheers. I can see how it would be like a group release. But if I found something unimpressive and the people around were whooping, I'd probably just sit fumbling uncomfortably and feel a bit embarrassed and/or annoyed that I didn't feel the same way.

Comment

I hate cheering too because it takes you out of the film, however collective laughing is different and can make a film seem funnier than it is when everyone is splitting their sides.

The only time I liked a collective cheer was when I saw the Special Edition of Star Wars in Leicester Square and everyone cheered when the Stormtrooper smacks his head on the door. It was like a collective acknowledgement from all the nerds that we'd all seen the film too many times.

Comment

Originally posted by prinnysquad View Post
        Active audience could be ok as long as you agree with the subject of the cheers. I can see how it would be like a group release. But if I found something unimpressive and the people around were whooping, I'd probably just sit fumbling uncomfortably and feel a bit embarrassed and/or annoyed that I didn't feel the same way.
        Absolutely. I'm talking cheering the Wow!! moments. On the other end of the spectrum, there was the annoying American audience I had to endure watching Rush Hour 2

If you're really into a film, you've just seen a cool arse action sequence where the hero has bitch-slapped the bad guy, that kind of release can be brilliant. Now, I'm not a cheered myself, but as I'm sat there with a huge grin on my face, it's nice to hear others expressing their enjoyment. I don't think it's that different to laughing at a joke in a film, or gasping during a horror movie.

Many people would find it cringe worthy I'm sure, but if you're with a great crowd who are as into a film as you are, it heightens the experience.

I'm surprised I'm the only one who has encountered a positive audience in this regard. I think it's a regional thing as well. In some of the bigger London screens, it's pretty common (but then I only go to see the biggest action blockbusters there, which may explain it). In Brighton, I've not encountered it once.

Anyway.... try as I might, Avatar didn't have that kind of release for me. It was very by the numbers in the action stakes. Looked amazing of course.

Comment

I've only ever once experienced a clapping audience. When I went to the UK premiere of Spirited Away. Can kinda understand it at those though (as there are peopl who'll get something out of it).

I do remember at The Return of the King, there was a sense that people were ready to clap and were just waiting for someone to start it.

Comment

Stunning, that is all.

Comment

Random fact: Got the clapping whooping thing at the end of 'The Karate Kid 2'

Comment

Best cinema experience I had was seeing Aliens on its first night at Leicester Sq. It was a packed house and the collective recoil when Burke puts his face up against the canister with the (not dead yet) face hugger in it was great. No whooping or cheering but you could just tell that everyone's attention was focussed on the movie and there were some great reactions.

Comment

I remember going to watch Rocky IV when i was about 15 or so and quite a few of the cinema crowd in there were shouting and cheering for Rocky against Drago.

That was 23 years ago and i was embarrassed then....at 15. Its not a concert, a ringside fight or a comedy to laugh out loud at so why???

I just don't get it, and it probably annoys me as much as mobiles going off or kids yapping just asking for a slap. Tis probably why i don't really go anymore and would rather buccaneer my way round teh web for my films.

Going a bit off track here though. I was looking forward to seeing this tbh at the flicks. Is it worth it or is it a big disappointment? The reviews across the board are all contradicting each other.
                  Last edited by NemesiS; 19-12-2009, 20:03.

Comment

Average story, amazing effects, average action (for me anyway), amazing cinema experience. It's really like that. Some people are walking out loving the film, but I suspect it's the experience they're loving.

It's like nothing else you've ever seen. I genuinely thought I could touch the characters on the screen.

You have to see it in the cinema, just for that. Now Cameron has shown others how to use 3D effectively, it may just change movies after all.

Comment

I'm so excited about seeing this...

I'm waiting until the 23rd (my birthday) and am so excited. For once, i'm not too fussed about story, character depth and all that stuff... but i just want to be taken to a new world, totally and utterly so. I can't wait... Not felt like this since Lord of the Rings!
                      ----Member since April 2002

http://www.redbubble.com/people/adamstone

Comment

this movie is epic. I'm glad I made the effort to drive 3 hours into Melbourne to see it at imax. they claim it's the worlds 3rd biggest screen. don't know about that but it was certainly big enough. anyway, I didn't have any problems with the 3d aside from some of the foreground objects off to either edge looking a bit blurry, perhaps because I was way off centre?

anyway it was a beautiful movie, one that like others said has to be seen at the cinema.

also as far as plot goes, i quite liked it. sure it's been done before but I was very pleased with it all. Mind you I do love the last samurai and dances with wolves.

good stuff

Comment

are some of the blurry comments down to depth of focus, its clear in places that there are focus shifts so stuff moves in and out of focus quite intentionaly ?

Comment

Originally posted by mekanor View Post

dances with wolves.

good stuff
                            Twas on last night. Still makes me blub when they shoot Cisco and then shoot at 2 socks.

Comment

Originally posted by TBL2260 View Post
                              Twas on last night. Still makes me blub when they shoot Cisco and then shoot at 2 socks.
                              I know how you feel. Great movie...

Comment

watched this one last night.... INCREDIBLE and AMAZING are the only words that come to mind now.
                                It's the most amazing expierence I ever saw in a cinema, the 3D in this movie is like nothing I ever seen before, it really mindblowing to watch this movie in 3D. After reading some report about the story being crap I really have to disagree with that, yes the story is nothing really exceptional, but I thought it was pretty decent and much better then I expected it to be. But the main star of this has the be the 3D effects, my god they are amazing!
                                I thought the whole movie looked very "real" , it didn't had that CGI look over it like in the trailers I watched in 360 and PC.
                                Really nice, I can really recommend everyone to watch this one in the cinema in 3D

Comment

Working...
                                X