No announcement yet.

The Thing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I never bought this on DVD and am waiting for my HD DVD to arrive from the US.

Comment

It goes without saying, as any acolyte of the Temple of Kurt Russell should know without knowing, that I like this film quite a bit.

Hey Sweden!

They're Norwegian, Mac.

Comment

I have fond memories of watching it as a kid (recorded off the TV) from years ago. Still one of my favourite films now and I stayed up as late a sI could (until about 11:30) watching it - I'm an old man (and uncle) now!

One of my first DVD purchases too mainly for the film but also the quality extras (think I watched them all) and an excellent Audio Commentary from Carpenter and Russell plus a few beers!

There is also a good BFI Modern Classics book on the film out there for any fans although it seems to be quite pricey on Amazon at present.

Comment

Originally posted by bash View Post
          and how JC couldnt make another flick as good again IMO.
          Im sure theres plenty of fans here anyway
          are you talking since The Thing was released or he couldnt make a great film like that now?

if its now then i have to begrudingly agree

but if you are talking ever, then there are a bunch of films that are just as good as the thing

The Thing is one of my all time favourite Carpenter movie, but i have about 8 which i love about the same (in no order):
          The Thing
          Big Trouble in Little China
          Escape from New York
          They Live
          Christine
          Memoirs of an invisible man
          The Fog
          Halloween

in fact i would commit that Starman is my favourite Carpenter movie, even the newer lower budget movies are entertaining like prince of darkness for example

Comment

It has be said...

You gotta be ****ing kidding.

Comment

top film.

the dvd commentary is a thing of genius, like all Carpenter/Russell chit-chats. worth listening for them both busting a gut at Russell's amazing attempt at flying a helicopter near the beginning.

although, Escape From New York just edges it as my favourite John Carpenter film. i'm going to have that on a continuous loop inside my coffin. just in case i get bored.

Comment

I just watched this last Friday on HD DVD. Great film. You can't go wrong with 1980s era Carpenter and Kurt Russell.

Comment

Too late now (sorry) but Assault on Precinct 13 was just on Film 4. Hadn't seen it in an age. Equally as good, and a soundtrack to die for.

Comment

in the mouth of madness i quite liked

Comment

*buuuump*

John Carpenter's The Thing is back on the big screen next week!
                      Slated by critics on its release 27 years ago, John Carpenter's The Thing has since established itself as a modern sci-fi masterpiece. And rightly so, says Anne Billson

It appears to be on at Cineworld next Tuesday (15th), but I don't know about other cinemas.

Would be pretty sweet to see this on the big screen. That Guardian link has a nice article on the film.

Comment

Cool. Got it on BR but never seen it at the cinema

Comment

Thanks for the heads up, I'll be picking up tickets for this for sure

Comment

Early in 2009, 27 years after that initial blast of opprobrium, The Thing's reputation has recovered sufficiently for its producing studio, Universal, to deem it worthwhile to announce the monster's return in a prequel. Matthijs van Heijningen, whose CV consists largely of drinks commercials, is set to direct a screenplay by Ronald D Moore.
                            You gotta be ****ing kidding?

Comment

Originally posted by Kit View Post
                              You gotta be ****ing kidding?
                              Not a fan of unnecessary swearing, but that scene totally justifies it.

I love the fact that it came out 2 weeks after E.T.. Can you imagine if somebody took their kids to see "that alien film" at the cinema and got taken into the wrong screen? They'd be messed-up good style!

Love the DVD commentary where you can actually hear Carpenter and Russell clink their beers together.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                                I love the fact that it came out 2 weeks after E.T.. Can you imagine if somebody took their kids to see "that alien film" at the cinema and got taken into the wrong screen? They'd be messed-up good style!
                                "Daddy! Daddy! What's wrong with the doggy??????"

Love this film, my HD DVD usually gets an airing every few months or so. Tempted to go an see it on the big screen but I think the nearest cinema to me showing it is in Fulham, little bit of a schlep on the train.

Comment

Working...
                                X