No announcement yet.

Sky HD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got back from holiday last week to find a brochure from Sky offering a Sky HD box for £75 (plus £60 install which is naturally mentioned in small print at the bottom) so I decided to go for it. Once the cost broke the sub £200 barrier I could no longer resist

Looking forward to seeing the footy in HD and Planet Earth on HD DVD really whetted my appetite for HD documentaries! Should be worth the extra tenner each month.

Comment

I quite fancy it for sports alone. Golf and football especially look so much better in HD. NFL would be good too as I watch alot of that. Can't decide whether it's worth it though. Still like £130 quid plus another tenner a month, which ain't cheap for what you're gettin at the moment.

Comment

Yeah I'd go with that deal myself if it weren't for the HD subscription of £10 per month. I really don't get that tbh. I already pay a subscription for the SD versions of those channels so I refuse to pay an extra £10 per month just for the the HD versions of the same content. They won't give me a discount for taking away the SD channels after all.

Comment

I suppose the tenner a month is a bit cheeky really, although for me it was the price of the hardware that was putting me off. The tenner a month I won't really notice (guess I'm lucky in that respect) but the £200+ for the box and install they wanted before was way too hefty.

Problem is with modern consoles, HD DVD, Blu Ray, etc., I've got used to seeing stuff in HD and it's a bit jarring having to watch stuff in SD through scart on a 50 inch plasma. I've got a fever and the only prescription is more HD

Comment

We just bought a new HD plasma 50" and decided to get sky HD to go with it. I have to say that unless you get the movie channels or sport its not worth it as just about everything else is upscaled and does not lok beter enough to warrent the costs.

However one channel that is great is Rush HD. Its not just extreme sports, i have seen a nature show, a videogames review show (which looked amazing) and a movie review show.

Its by far the best quality HD channel (exc movies and sports).

Comment

Just had our HD box put in this morning, had a very quick look at the BBC HD channel (5 mins of an Attenborough Tiger documentary, looked lovely!) but I'm having to force myself to work and ignore it at the mo! Couldn't check the other channels like Sky Sports anyway as the viewing card hadn't synced up properly yet so they weren't coming through.

My brother is going to watch the cycling on Eurosport HD at 3PM though so I'll probably have a quick butchers at that too. It's gonna get a real workout at the weekend with lots of footy, golf and films

Comment

I've just ordered this. The box is £75 (£30 installation on top) until the end of October - can't see it getting much lower than that again for a while.

EDIT: To sweeten the deal further, you get £15 credit in your Sky account and £15 from Quidco. It's all good.
                Last edited by Number45; 01-10-2008, 17:04.

Comment

Originally posted by Number45 View Post
                  I've just ordered this. The box is ?75 (?30 installation on top) until the end of October - can't see it getting much lower than that again for a while.

EDIT: To sweeten the deal further, you get ?15 credit in your Sky account and ?15 from Quidco. It's all good.
                  Ooh, that's cool. Might get a SkyHD box for my room and sell my PlayTV.

Comment

Originally posted by Number45 View Post
                    I've just ordered this. The box is ?75 (?30 installation on top) until the end of October - can't see it getting much lower than that again for a while.

EDIT: To sweeten the deal further, you get ?15 credit in your Sky account and ?15 from Quidco. It's all good.
                    Is there an extra monthly charge on top of this?

Comment

It's a tenner a month. For me it's worth the money, the quality of the football (and other sports) in HD is top notch. Most of the HD films look very nice, and tonight I'll be watching the new series of Heroes in HD. It's great stuff! Plus you have the fun of flicking between the HD and SD version of a channel and marvelling at the difference

Comment

Hmm. That tenner maybe isn't worth it for myself, as I don't have any of the sports channels, so it would be movies and the occasional other programme.

Comment

little bump for this thread, I just got down overnight the new Sky (HD only) EPG.

its brilliant, works so much faster, has lots of useful little features and just seems so much better thought out.

initial faves are the HD on screen now & next stuff which seems to be able to look further forward and the fact you get a little picture and sound all the time when in the main EPG.

now if they've sorted out the useless speedy ffwd function and frequent crashes it'll be nigh on perfect.

Comment

How do you get that?

Comment

i read they are doing a phased roll out on the basis of oldest HD customers first, got mine installed in the frist week it went live.

might be worht hunting round the net as read in the past there are engineer inputs from the remote that can force the box into a firmware upgrade instead of waiting to be delivered.

Comment

I was going to post the very same thing about the Sky fairies having visited my HD box last night too. S'great isn't it!

Forcing the firmware upgrade wont work on this occassion as they're being rolled out based on model number. So if you have the right model number, and provided your box was on last night (or when the last batch took place), then you'll get it.

You receive a letter from them a couple of days prior to being upgraded.

Comment

Working...
                                X