Sky HD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Number45 View Post
    I don't know what the problem is between Sky and ITV for the HD - I can only assume Sky are charging more for the HD channels than ITV are willing to pay.
    Correct. ITV are effectively in test mode at the moment.

Comment

interesting question for channels like ITV, HD of course looks brilliant and sport, documentaries and newer films look stunning.

do they really need the expense of it though, what does it add for their audience. a large chunk of their audience watching X-Factor and Britains Got Talent are probably watching on very old 4:3 tv's, or like my mum and dad watching a stretch 4:3 image on a widescreen cos they can't tell the difference.

I'm not sure ITV, Ch4 have enough content to merit the cost, or the audience who cares.

Comment

Originally posted by merf View Post
        interesting question for channels like ITV, HD of course looks brilliant and sport, documentaries and newer films look stunning.

do they really need the expense of it though, what does it add for their audience. a large chunk of their audience watching X-Factor and Britains Got Talent are probably watching on very old 4:3 tv's, or like my mum and dad watching a stretch 4:3 image on a widescreen cos they can't tell the difference.

I'm not sure ITV, Ch4 have enough content to merit the cost, or the audience who cares.
        Over 90% of the content is shot and recorded in HD, it's not a case of specially producing it, it's already there.

Bandwidth is an issue (there isn't enough of it to provide every channel in HD), thus HD is not only a premium consumer product it's a premium product for broadcasters.

The Sats themselves are not owned by Sky, neither is the bandwidth. That bandwidth has to be paid for. The Sky receiver is not a closed box (as it is with a Virgin box), it can receive anything from the Sat. What Sky (actually another co but essentially Sky but Sky don't get preferential treatment) provide on the EPG also has to be paid for, at the moment ITV are testing HD so don't need to pay Sky to host on the EPG or provide the encryption (again which needs to be paid for)

Comment

Working...
        X