Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Haha class. Good find!

The bloke said:

SUBJECT: Do you think people should hold onto certain rares.

"In my opinion yes,And i will give my reason why....if u were collecting before the rise of the internet then u are what i call a true collector and the reason being internet collectors dont no what its like to chase a film down without a clue where to start looking maybe some hear say or a screen shot in a magazine and then if u managed to get it it was about 5th or 6th generation copy no glossy sleeve and maybe flashing in black and white and on top of that easily ?25 a movie,films just notoriously hard to come by so to me collecting on the internet is so easy u got all info,sites,torrents and everything and there are so many out there who think its there god given right and that you should give them up well i do not think so,And if the collector wants alot of money for 1 film you have no hope of getting then you should not even think about moaning about the price but thats just my opinion."

Which is basically a load of elitist tosh. According to him, only true collectors pre-date the internet, and went to great pains to get contacts and films. Young whippersnappers and noobs don't appreciate how difficult it was, so don't deserve to have things handed on a plate to them.

This is the same bloke who, on other threads, bemoaned the near-death of the genre, and the lack of kung fu fans knocking around. That's OBVIOUSLY going to be helped by self-appointed dons hoarding copies of films, and refusing to let anyone else see them! And CLEARLY, that exclusive collector's club won't be accepting any more members, since the internet exists, and has spawned people who don't appreciate the pain of being a collector. It's crap. I respect what people have done down the years, like Toby Russell, but he's sold most of his stuff to joe public or other collectors, who are passing it on through sales and trades. He can't be too bothered about keeping things to himself.

Hoarders are actively bringing the genre down by turning it into an exclusive old tie club, I can't even begin to imagine the psychological kick they get out of seeing a film that no-one else will see. It's a sad and lonely experience, and feeds into a kind of selfishness that's completely alien to me. I'd want to share it and talk about it. If I ever tracked down a rare, it'd be sent out and about like wildfire. Stuff this 'you don't deserve to see it cos you didn't hunt it down in the days of yore' mentality. Shinobi will testify that I hold no stock in keeping rares to myself, at least after a while! The only reason I've asked on occasion that a film not be sent out and about is so that other buyers aren't upset.

Comment

He sounds like a prick to be honest, sad is it may be. Before the internet, unless you were friends with a video label / importer or had very good contacts, you would get stung time after time. That's kind of sick to wish for those days again. I understand, maybe a bit, that new fans have easy access to a lot of stuff but that's life in the modern age, if a kid likes a certain old group for their music (released before he / she was born), they can check out most if not all of their material and then buy what they like. Are these kids then not true fans, because they didn't have to put up with buying LPs to find only one or two decent songs? They didn't get scammed and then learned the ropes so they aren't worthy?

Another thing-many, not all (shouldn't generalise), of the biggest collectors in the old days were scamming people left right and centre, most people know this and that's why no matter how much they complain about todays' 'scene', they know damn well that the past was full of downsides.

The biggest shame is that there aren't enough good films being made anymore, lots of reasons for that, same as certain genres of music.

When I got into collecting these films (and the music I like), I met a lot of idiots but also extremely helpful and generous people who helped me out. That's why whenever I can, if someone seems nice enough I have helped them get anything they might be after, if I can.

edit-this Secret Squirrel secret society type of thinking and behaviour occurs in most collectors circles, even gaming.
      Last edited by monel; 12-09-2011, 17:57.

Comment

Indeed. I've heard some horror stories about these collectors in the past, downgrading prints deliberately and other such things. I agree with some that there's a danger that people these days don't know the history and value of certain films, but that's a pisspoor reason to keep them concealed.

I can understand - though never agree with - the reason behind some variations of hoarding. But why not allow duplication of content without threatening the original item? With original items like old games, figurines, stamps, records, etc, there are only a finite number out there. The direct kung fu comparison is original 35mm reels. I can maybe understand someone wanting to keep them. Or pressbooks. Or lobbycards. But the film itself? Why keep that? Why not allow the content to be replicated and shared? That way, collectors can still own the reels, but not conceal the film itself.

A refusal to do that is when we get down to the nitty gritty. It becomes apparent that the owner simply doesn't want anyone else to see the film - a film that was intended for public consumption. I think this attitude is sick and against everything the film was made for. Making the hoarder, in fact, an anti-fan.

Comment

Eventually got round to watching Righting Wrongs today, thanks to my slipped disc keeping me at home.

I'll not say too much about it because Chompy covered most of it in his recent review, and I'm having to type this laid flat out on my back, which is bloody awkward.

Suffice to say, it's quite superb. Killer stunts and bang-on action. There's no **** 2-move shaky zoom bollocks that plagues recent stuff; we've got nicely-framed decent-length shots here, with some lively, yet clear, camerawork. Some of the stunts have that 80s lol factor about them - not a disparaging laugh, but a 'f-me, that's an audacious shot! Amaze!' chortle of wonder and glee.

I enjoyed the performances of Biao and Rothrock very much, there's some cracking work there. The rest of the cast deliver top efforts, too. Although I would have liked Corey to have kicked more ass, I appreciate that it wasn't his character's role to do this. The version I watched was the

double-death

one; I've since watched the other ending. Not sure which one I prefer tbh, they're both grim. In fact, bar a few moments of levity, the whole film is sombre. I like that.

After watching Knockabout, On the Run, and this, it's scandalous that Biao wasn't given more top lead roles. He's an immensely talented performer and, like so many of the old school, put some of the modern lot - both stars and film-makers - to shame.

Comment

Biao always was my favourite martial arts actor, he seemed to give off a very modest and down to earth vibe in interviews and even certain roles in his films. I always wondered why he wasn't a superstar in the rest of the world, but apparently a lot of it comes down to him not actually wanting that level of fame at the time. I think Sammo tried and wanted the best for Biao, but Biao probably didn't want the stress or whatever else is associated with huge, intense fame. Perhaps he was just content with what he already had?

edit-just realised you watched a more modern film! It's a great film no doubt, with a main character disgusted by the more extreme wrongs criminals can and do get away with and how the weaker members of society are punished or have to suffer. With regards to the Chinese mainland ending, I think they were usually forced to show that people would be punished if they acted in a certain way... I love the scene in the car park where he takes the baseball bat to someone. Sorry to hear about the slipped disc, hope you have a speedy recovery.
            Last edited by monel; 14-09-2011, 04:37.

Comment

Biao is a legend. I thought he acted the pants off allcomers in OATIC.

Comment

So glad you told me about Righting Wrongs, Shin, it's easily made my top ten. Was really buzzing for days after and kept watching the end fight. You can really see Sammo's touch!

Nice interview with Rothrock in Impact the other week. She quoted a couple of scenes from Righting Wrongs on her top 10.

Picked up Avenging Fist for ?1.50 yesterday! More Biao and Hung, Yuen-directed action. I don't think it's highly regarded, but it's a great price to find out for myself!

Comment

Finsbury Girl, Biao was great in OUATIC, it's a shame he left the films but Max Mok did a pretty good job, although of course he isn't as good a fighter. I wish the end fight in Righting Wrongs was a bit longer but I always think that for a lot of films.

Comment

I picked up a Kung Fu documentary narrated by Samuel L. Jackson called The Art of Action: Martial Arts in Motion Picture for ?1.50.

There's a lot of stuff I already knew, but a lot more stuff that I didn't. Sammo Hung is related to one of the first on-screen female fighters. It was usually women who appeared in all the earlier films.

It's a well-made reflection of how Kung Fu films came about and evolved, with interviews from some of the big names and footage from related films.

If anybody wants to see it, I'll happily send it on as I don't think I need to see it again.

Comment

I've seen a picture of Sammo's gran, was that her? I have one or two docs I could send you if you ever want them, actually more than one or two. That one you mentioned, I've been meaning to see that for a while.

That Kung Fu Supernova, watched the first episode late last night and it was pretty, pretty good. I'm sure Bruce Liang / Leung is in it unless I'm mistaken, as a judge. Chin Kar Lok had some crazy funky shoes on. The contestants were great, I just wish I could understand what was being said. I hope the judges weren't being too harsh on them. There was a nunchaku performance, where it took me a few seconds to realise what he was actually doing- then I realised how tricky his challenge actually was.

Not being able to understand the language kind of shows me more than usual how reality tv shows put forward a couple of favourites, one or two contestants in the first show more screen time than the others and the creators seemed to be giving them more of a back-story. Really enjoyable show so far.

Comment

I like Bruce Liang, he was great in Iron Fisted Eagle's Claw.

Talking of old films, I'd like to see some of those 1950s/60s Wong Fei-Hung films starring Kwan Tak-Hing.

Had a couple of Shaws recently. Started off with My Young Auntie, which was very enjoyable. It had Lau Kar Leung's trademark style stamped all over it, with a story about generational relationships and family respect. Kara Hui was superb, playing a complex character and really kicking ass. Amazing work. Hsiao Ho was Hsiao Ho - full of style and acrobatics, with arsing-around humour, but mixing it with some really top martial work. Some oddness with the masquerade ball and Ho's outfit at the end, but LKL's sense of humour is fine with me. The end sequence was superb, with the two leads sneaking into a house through a load of traps, then a big kick off rumble as the finale. Very nice weapons work and solid forms all round, with some super long cuts. Why do we not have shot lengths like this now?

Followed this up with a Venoms film, The Rebel Intruders. There's intrigue afoot amongst the guardians of a city, who are meant to be protecting it for a commander, but have other ideas in mind. Their plans are complicated by three refugees, who have sworn to be blood brothers. The story is decent enough, nothing too complicated, but it holds attention. The main attraction is the Venoms. There's a variety of fight scenes kicking off throughout the film, with the three Blood Brothers getting embroiled in the political machinations. The setting and production design is classic Shaw, with bright, bold colours everywhere. The action scenes are long, with some huge cuts. The finale is really one long action sequence lasting about 30-35 minutes, with all kinds of spear work, sword play, 3-part stick work and shieldwork, as well as some top notch classical forms. Special mention for some of the best 'bench fighting' work I've seen on film. Bit disappointed by the ending, as far as who 'makes it', but that's testament to the likeability of the characters.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                          I picked up a Kung Fu documentary narrated by Samuel L. Jackson called The Art of Action: Martial Arts in Motion Picture for ?1.50.

There's a lot of stuff I already knew, but a lot more stuff that I didn't. Sammo Hung is related to one of the first on-screen female fighters. It was usually women who appeared in all the earlier films.

It's a well-made reflection of how Kung Fu films came about and evolved, with interviews from some of the big names and footage from related films.

If anybody wants to see it, I'll happily send it on as I don't think I need to see it again.
                          LOL, WTF is Sam Jackson doing narrating a kung fu doc? Unless he was imitating Williams from ETD. I know he did Afro Sam but its still a stretch. They should've got someone better man!

Comment

Is Rebel Intruders aka Killer Army? My Young Auntie is an absolute classic, I love that movie. The end fight is awesome. Some people don't like Lau's comedic moments but I'm fine with them because the fights are so wonderful in his films usually. I have at least one of the Wong Fei Hung serials, the first one I think...

Is there a widescreen version of HJL's Dragon's Claws out there? I have the fullscreen one. I may watch a 90s kung fu flick tonite, I highly recommend Barefoot Kid to anyone, Lau Kar Leung did the action, it's a remake of Disciples of Shaolin and has a great storyline.

When it comes to the Venoms, Kid With the Golden Arm and Masked Avengers are pretty damn good, in that order. MA has it's faults but the English dub makes the villains seem like some truly evil b_star_ds. Great bit in the end that sticks out, too where they go to some underground lair or something, can't remember right now.

bash-Jackson has a huge kung fu movie collection, or so I've heard. I got it mixed up with the Saxon presented docu I think.
                            Last edited by monel; 16-09-2011, 17:18.

Comment

Watched The Brave Archer this morning. Spent the whole filmed wondering when there would be some bow and arrow shizzle. Plus, look at the cast - Alexander Fu Sheng, Ku Feng, Phillip Kwok, Wang Lung-wei, Ti Lung, Danny Lee, Lee I-Min, Kara Hui and Tanny Tien. Fight packed, right? Wrong.

There's practically no MA in it. The entire film is based around character, story and atmosphere. I seem to remember shinobi saying something to that effect now that I think about it, yet I still wasn't prepared for how story-heavy it was. The story is quite complex, with characters appearing, disappearing, then reappearing, but I think I got the gist of it. It's about two kids being brought up and trained by different masters after their dads are killed. One (Fu Sheng) is cared for by a bunch of weirdos, the other is taken with his mother to a Jin prince's palace and trained by a monk. After many years, the ragamuffin guy (Fu Sheng) encounters his brother in a street. The rich bro is fighting a lass who's father has promised her hand in marriage to the winner. Turns out that the father is the original dad of the snotty rich bro - he survived the original attack 18 years ago and adopted a daughter. Meanwhile dimwitted Fu Sheng befriends a thoroughly unconvincing boy beggar, who turns out to be a lass. This lass is the daughter of the master of Peach Blossom Island. Together they meet various bods who teach them kung fu styles. Eventually her father makes Fu Sheng take part in three challenges against an adversary to win her hand.

That's not all, there's all this other stuff going off too. There's a backstory about a secret manual, the teachings of which hold the key to martial supremacy. A couple had stolen it, but Fu Sheng killed one of them early doors. The second half of the manual is tattooed on the fallen cur's chest. His widow cuts it off, then she is blinded. She eventually loses it to Fu Sheng, who has been given extra strength by biting a snake. The snake belongs to one of three warriors. They appear a few times. Snotty kid's dad gets reunited with his mum, then they promptly commit suicide. The weirdos flit in and out. Masters appear and go.

Plenty of characters, then, and many plot strands are left dangling at the end of the 2-hour running time. The story easily stretches over 2 hours, meaning that the lack of action is easy enough to deal with. The whole atmosphere is terrific - there's a complex medieval mythos here and if you invest in it, there's plenty to enjoy. The story oozes chivalry and intrigue, there's so much going on, and it's all set in some fabulous Shaw settings. It's pointless watching this film wanting a traditional kung fu actioner. Instead, it should be treated for exactly what it is - a traditional tale of wuxia and chivalry, with the focus firmly on plot and character.

Comment

Also of note ... I tried to watch Kung Fu Hustle last week. I'd recorded it months and months ago, and couldn't get off the settee, so I selected it off the skybox and saddled up.

Just could not get away with it. The style and tone of the film I found intensely irritating. The humour and performancces were annoying, the comic-stylings of certain sections were annoying ... it was just very, very annoying!

The action was ok I guess, but too wire-worky for me, and the cuts were feeble. I had to stop watching it after an hour to do something else, and I had zero inclination to carry on watching.

I knew very little about the film prior to watching. When it started, and went on about a poor area of town with kick-ass experts, I thought, 'this is a great premise for a kung fu movie!'. But the arsing around humour and constant farty bits (the obvious fake-drop to the deck from a window, the slo-mo cgi bits with weapons) pissed me off no end. I don't know, maybe the knowing-humour of it grated, or the modern action, or something else. I'm not in the best shape at the mo, health wise, so I've got a low tolerance threshold for things that piss me off. Maybe I should have carried on watching, and having missed a brilliant second section. I'll probably give it another shot one day. But I really didn't like what I saw. Disappointed.

Comment

Working...
                                X