No announcement yet.

Seen any good Kung-Fu flicks of late?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks, I was starting to get ball ache.

Ive been trying to get a full set of HKL disks myself for a while actually. Some of them simply cost too much though. 60 quid for sex and zen?

Comment

You could probably pay less to get the real Amy Yip round for a live "calligraphy" show these days!!

Are the HKL disks highly recommended then? Noticed The Story of Ricki is available from them...

Comment

HKL disks are usually great yeah. They only ever released films that had a decent print avaliable, so everything they released was of good quality (or as good as can be expected from old HK movies). Most of them have comentaries by a guy called Bey Logan, who basically knows more about HK cinema than anyone else on the planet, he's a fountain of information and always a joy to listen too. Some of thebest comentaries on any DVDs ever.

Theres a HKL box set called Manga in motion that features story of Ricky, City Hunter and Dragon From Russia, it can be picked up second hand on amazon for the price of any one of those films alone (six quid) and is well worth getting as its just the original disks in their own keep cases repackaged in a cardboard sleeve. So you're basically getting the three films as you would buy them separately for around 2 quid each.
        Last edited by rmoxon; 07-08-2012, 16:00.

Comment

Ooh good shout on that pack before I 'buy it now' on ebay I will take a look...

I do already have City Hunter but its a really old HK DELTA MAC dvd that looks like they just copied the VHS.

Was a big fan of Bey Logan...he helped with the Eastern Heroes stuff I mentioned a few posts back. So now I'm renewing my interest in HK cinema I can revert to the I AM a fan of Bey Logan

*edit* was Rick Baker I was thinking of...Bey Logan had nothing to do with the books apparently. Jonathan Ross writes a foreword though. Tend to forget the things he is into while he acts like a knob on tv!!
          Last edited by BaronSqwelch; 07-08-2012, 16:17.

Comment

?60 for a HKL disc!!!!!!!!! I have a few in the attic, Millionaire express, Magnificent butcher, drunken master, iron monkey, Encounters of the spooky kind, Legend of a fighter and some more.

Might put them on teh bay!
            Last edited by 'Press Start'; 07-08-2012, 16:41.

Comment

Originally posted by 'Press Start To Begin' View Post
              ?60 for a HKL disc!!!!!!!!! I have a few in the attic, Millionaire express, Magnificent butcher, drunken master, iron monkey, Encounters of the spooky kind, Legend of a fighter and some more.

Might put them on teh bay!
              Its only the really rare ones that go for as much ?60 to be fair (stuff like sex and Zen, dreadnaught, Warriors 2).

The ones you mentioned will usually sell for around ?10 to ?15.
              Last edited by rmoxon; 07-08-2012, 16:55.

Comment

Originally posted by rmoxon View Post
                Its only the really rare ones that go for as much ?60 to be fair (stuff like sex and Zen, dreadnaught, Warriors 2).

The ones you mentioned will usually sell for around ?10 to ?15.
                Ahh, I'll keep them then. I have warriors 2 on VHS though.

Comment

Some of the HKLs can still be picked up via their Australian releases, I forget the name of the imprint, a google search would reveal all. Dunno about shipping but I think it's worth it. Finsbury might know. The Cineasia re-releases aren't really picking the rarer titles, it seems. Some of the HKLs, quite a lot, had picture problems, incorrect colours and so on. A lot of their releases have been improved on by later releases, although for Legend of a Fighter and a few other titles they are still the best version to get.

Comment

The Cineasia versions are remastered with noticeabled improved picture and sound. Well worth ?6. Shame they don't do these films on Blu-ray.

Comment

Are you sure? Most people buying them have said they are the exact same releases, reauthored with a new menu or something. Not sure though, I wouldn't mind buying Prodigal Son and a couple of others but I have too many versions of some of these titles already. Bluray is another issue, most of the HD releases coming from HK are supposed to be crappy upscales. Even if a western firm releases the films, they have to work with what they're given by the HK / foreign firms. The Japanese releases are probably better but Japan stuff costs a bomb and lacks English subs usually...

edit-Loftgroover- you can pick up the HKL Story of Ricky quite cheap, but there's a newer Chinese release out there I think and also a Bluray was supposed to have come out in the US a couple of months ago, not sure if it was delayed as a lot of the labels are having money problems, the genre is dying off right now release wise in the west.
                      Last edited by monel; 07-08-2012, 21:00.

Comment

Yeah, the Fortune Star version is the one I am trying to find now

I have remastered box sets of the Bruce Lee films and Once Upon a Time in China from them that are excellent! I try not to buy Blu Rays where possible...cuz I only have a ps3 for a player and region locking can gtfo!!

Comment

Man, I hate region locking, it seems the global economy only applies to outsourcing jobs or for huge firms to get cheap parts. I've heard mixed stuff about the Fortune Star remasters, I guess some are good and most are terrible. I think most of the companies can easily release better versions but they just don't care. It may have been Tokyo Shock that released the Blu Story of Ricky. I have the HKL, I could have given you that if you really wanted but it's the only version I own with the dub (yes, I like some dubs).

Comment

I have a few of the Cine Asia rereleases and they appear to simply be the HKL disks repackaged. They even say they are HKL disks when you pop them in an the menu loads up.

Comment

Originally posted by shinobi7000 View Post
                              Man, I hate region locking, it seems the global economy only applies to outsourcing jobs or for huge firms to get cheap parts. I've heard mixed stuff about the Fortune Star remasters, I guess some are good and most are terrible. I think most of the companies can easily release better versions but they just don't care. It may have been Tokyo Shock that released the Blu Story of Ricky. I have the HKL, I could have given you that if you really wanted but it's the only version I own with the dub (yes, I like some dubs).
                              Maybe just got lucky with my choices (seems 2004 was my last big buying splurge )...branding the Bruce Lee box the Ultimate Collection maybe forced them to pull their finger out! Watching Enter The Dragon with the Americans dubbed into cantonese is pretty funny tho!

Anyway...Grabbed Story of Ricky and God of Gamblers for 15 quid from Play Asia...web reviews seem to say they are the best available DVD versions but I suppose I will see in 7-21 days!

Comment

Watched Ip Man last night. Absolutely loved it! favourite scene was when

he enters the Japanese tournament for a bag of rice, sees his old sparring partner get murdered, then demands to fight ten guys at once!

The carnage that ensues was just
                                Last edited by Kit; 08-08-2012, 18:50.

Comment

Working...
                                X