X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This week

Anna Karenina

Very stylish, the first 30 minutes or so when they were using all the long shots and theatre set changes especially. The main character became a bit tiresome towards the end though.

The Campaign

Thoroughly amusing. They had shown the majority of the funniest bits in the trailer though. Galifianakis is very funny guy, it was nice seeing him play a different character.

Looper.
    Awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by crazytaxinext View Post
      That's Cabin in the Woods in a nutshell. Fails at what it's aping and isn't anywhere near as clever as it thinks it is.
      Except the film wasnt aping anything, it was poking fun and never even atempted to be a scary horror film.

I can understand people not liking it if they wanted a horror film, but as someone who isnt particuarly a big fan of the genre, and was never really at ease with the whole cliched and predictable nature of most horror films, I thought it was very amusing and clever both in its idea that all horror films could actualy be some controled ritual by the govenment, and of course Whedons sharp writing style which was as ever completely on the ball. I also enjoyed spotting all the nods to other horror films and had fun picking out what films the

different monsters

were referencing.

It wasnt a work of art or anything, but it was a clever and fun little film which was was probabaly a victim of its own hype for some people as all the rave reviews probabaly made some think it was the greatest horror film of all time, when it wasnt. It was just a fresh and fun look at the worlds most stale movie genre.
      Last edited by rmoxon; 01-10-2012, 11:45.

Comment

Its not clever, it hangs on one idea for too long and doesnt go anywhere with it. A wasted opportunity IMHO.

Comment

Detention - Holy flurking schnit...what a pile of turd it is! Infact I cannot even properly put into words how bad it is! Best I can say is if you mixed the sensation of seeing Scream for the first time, added the sensation of seeing The Breakfast Club for the first time then added the sensation of seeing your whole family die in a housefire....but less enjoyable.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilBoris View Post
            This week

Anna Karenina

Very stylish, the first 30 minutes or so when they were using all the long shots and theatre set changes especially. The main character became a bit tiresome towards the end though.
            This. Art over any real substance I thought.

Comment

I saw a film called "F" that was shown on Film4 earlier in the year as part of their Frightfest season.

A group of teachers must defend themselves from a gang of murderous kids when their school comes under siege after hours.

There was a little bit of a Precinct 13 vibe to it and the murders were pretty grisly. The effects were excellent, even more so when you hear it was made for a mere ?150,000.

There's definite empathy for the main character who is a teacher that got headbutted by a pupil after he gave him an F grade. Instead of backing him up, the headmistress and board of Governors insist he shouldn't sue, but sit out the rest of the term as it was his own fault for belittling the (cocky) student.

He returns a year later, but is a shell of a man. A nervous, paranoid alcoholic that is shunned by his now ex-wife and daughter.

When the hoodies strike, he has a hard time convincing anybody that they're under attack.
              The hoodies make a pretty good menace, like parkour monkey chavs, but although they're brutal, they're not that scary - it's the premise that holds suspense the most.

It was actually pretty good but with an ending that was either brilliant or a cop out, I'm undecided.

Confusion over why the hoodies found Roxanne McKee (Hollyoaks Hottie) and mutilated her.
              Last edited by QualityChimp; 10-10-2012, 14:34.

Comment

Eyes Wide Shut

My 4th viewing, and alone this time......love it more than ever.

Comment

Got Netflix today.

Watched Hard Candy and The Ramen Girl this afternoon.

Comment

Taken 2

Not as good as the first but alright enough. Despite the fuss the cast and crew have made against the idea it leaves it open for a Taken 3 also

Comment

Originally posted by crazytaxinext View Post
                      Taken 2

Not as good as the first but alright enough. Despite the fuss the cast and crew have made against the idea it leaves it open for a Taken 3 also
                      Cant wait to see this, the first was the nuts.

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
                      Got Netflix today.

Watched Hard Candy and The Ramen Girl this afternoon.
                      Hard Candy is a film i have been meaning to rewatch for some time.....a very uncomfortable film to sit through from memory.

Comment

Originally posted by PaTaito View Post
                        Cant wait to see this, the first was the nuts.

Hard Candy is a film i have been meaning to rewatch for some time.....a very uncomfortable film to sit through from memory.
                        Have you seen the Woodsman? Now there is an uncomfortable film.

Comment

Originally posted by noobish hat View Post
                          Have you seen the Woodsman? Now there is an uncomfortable film.
                          Do they actually feed them the balls in that then?

Comment

No, it's not an exploitation film.

Comment

Licence to Drive. 80's coming of age lark staring both Corey's & Heather Graham. Haim fails his driving test and winds up "borrowing" his grandad's classic car to take out Graham. Soundtrack is total getting towards the 90's, 80's acecore. Film is like a 3.5, worth a go but don't expect major laffs.

Comment

Originally posted by PaTaito View Post
                                Eyes Wide Shut

My 4th viewing, and alone this time......love it more than ever.
                                Amazing film. I think it's very under-rated.

Comment

Working...
                                X