Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I lost all respect for Broderick when he married that boiled horse from SATC.

The chimps greatest part was when he got dead up in Lawnmower man. Observe:

Comment

Watched Skyfall. Disgusted by the amount of adverts and product placement on show here. FIVE of the god damn adverts had Bond himself in them. It's a disgrace. I paid to see the film, I shouldn't have to also watch this crap before I get to see it. It'd be like having adverts on the BBC after having paid the TV licence (not that they don't advertise their own crap). Just had enough of it really. Don't think I'll be going to the cinema again for a long ass time.

Film itself was good, though not as good as the first two. Has a surprise in store that I hadn't heard anything about. Silva was a good villain, although we really only got two scenes where his personality comes through properly. A little bit wasted. The film's structure seemed a bit flat to me. The bigger problem I had with it though is that Bond seems to now KNOW that he's in a Bond reboot. Or rather, it's no longer a reboot. He's aware of having been all the previous Bonds. For example, when he meets the new Q he says 'brave new world', because he's young, and not like the previous Qs. Er, Bond, you're not supposed to have known the previous Qs, you dolt. Same thing when he gets the Astin Martin back. He acts like its an old friend. I liked how they were moulding his character throughout the last two films in order to make it come full circle, so things would end up like how they were at the start of the franchise (like his attitude to women for example), but this film ramps it up to stupid levels, I thought. The end of the film is basically like Revenge of the Sith in how overboard they went in this regard. Why does it suddenly look like the 60s? And they had to do the whole 'reveal a character's name at the end of the reboot' thing, like they did in Dark Knight Rises. Are we supposed to believe that Bond didn't know that character's name this entire time? All so we can have that reveal? Lazy.

Last night I watched the Amazing Spiderman. I was surprised by how good it was compared to the amount of people who have said it's merely ok. It knocks the 'original' films into a cocked hat. It manages to be a lot more realistic and serious without having to be dark and gritty like every other ****ing reboot that comes out. It has plenty of stupid moments, sure, (the first time he gets his powers is the one that nearly had me turning the film off), or the scene where he sticks the guy to the wall and the motorcycle cop turns up, in which Spiderman is acting like a completely different person, to the extent that I actually thought this Spiderman might be a fake. I didn't find Dr whathisface to be a believeable character at all. I don't believe he would care that much about not having his arm. It's not like he was a pro tennis player, and it ruined his life. He's a man of science, and apparently it didn't affect his job at all. How exactly was he an outcast? He's a respected scientist. And yet we're supposed to accept his missing arm as motivation enough for everything he does in the film? Sorry, no. Not good enough. Spiderman himself was great, and I think they picked a great actor for the part (not that his acting is all that great, just that he fits and feels natural as Peter Parker). Of course it had to follow the rule of every comic book adaptation ever made - the hero HAS to reveal his secret identity in the very first film! Talk about blowing your wad...

Comment

Originally posted by noobish hat View Post
        Last night I watched the Amazing Spiderman. I was surprised by how good it was compared to the amount of people who have said it's merely ok. It knocks the 'original' films into a cocked hat. It manages to be a lot more realistic and serious without having to be dark and gritty like every other ****ing reboot that comes out. It has plenty of stupid moments, sure, (the first time he gets his powers is the one that nearly had me turning the film off), or the scene where he sticks the guy to the wall and the motorcycle cop turns up, in which Spiderman is acting like a completely different person, to the extent that I actually thought this Spiderman might be a fake. I didn't find Dr whathisface to be a believeable character at all. I don't believe he would care that much about not having his arm. It's not like he was a pro tennis player, and it ruined his life. He's a man of science, and apparently it didn't affect his job at all. How exactly was he an outcast? He's a respected scientist. And yet we're supposed to accept his missing arm as motivation enough for everything he does in the film? Sorry, no. Not good enough. Spiderman himself was great, and I think they picked a great actor for the part (not that his acting is all that great, just that he fits and feels natural as Peter Parker). Of course it had to follow the rule of every comic book adaptation ever made - the hero HAS to reveal his secret identity in the very first film! Talk about blowing your wad...
        I like the way you said it was really good, then spend ages going on about how some scenes are stupid, the character is inconsistent, the bad guy has unbelievable motivations, the acting was patchy and they gave away his "secret" identity!

I was in the mood for a revenge flick, so I watched Dead Man's Shoes (via LoveFilm's streaming service on PS3), which was written and directed by Shane Meadows (This Is England). It tells the tale of Richard (Paddy Considine) returning home after serving in the army and plans to get revenge on the people in the town that abused his mentally impaired brother.

I really enjoyed this and thought Considine was brilliant. His character stands up to the drug dealers that have gotten used to having people scared of them and totally intimidates them. This is a very stark tale, but there's some elements of very black humour in there too.

I won't give any more away, but if you're a fan of Meadows or ex-army revenge flicks like Harry Brown or The Veteran, then I think you'll enjoy it. I was tempted to watch it again straight afterwards.

Comment

Not a film (and I ain't venturing into the anime thread), I just watched all of Death Note again. Such a devastating ending, always leaves me majorly depressed. Why do I keep watching it?

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
            I like the way you said it was really good, then spend ages going on about how some scenes are stupid, the character is inconsistent, the bad guy has unbelievable motivations, the acting was patchy and they gave away his "secret" identity!

I was in the mood for a revenge flick, so I watched Dead Man's Shoes (via LoveFilm's streaming service on PS3), which was written and directed by Shane Meadows (This Is England). It tells the tale of Richard (Paddy Considine) returning home after serving in the army and plans to get revenge on the people in the town that abused his mentally impaired brother.

I really enjoyed this and thought Considine was brilliant. His character stands up to the drug dealers that have gotten used to having people scared of them and totally intimidates them. This is a very stark tale, but there's some elements of very black humour in there too.

I won't give any more away, but if you're a fan of Meadows or ex-army revenge flicks like Harry Brown or The Veteran, then I think you'll enjoy it. I was tempted to watch it again straight afterwards.
            Just wait till I start saying Skyward Sword was "pretty good".

Spiderman wasn't great, but it was definitely good compared to the craptastic 'original' trilogy (they're ALL ****, including Spiderman 2. 2 is the 'good one' about as much as Revenge of the Sith is).

Didn't like Dead Man's Shoes. Far too long a film for nothing interesting or new, and an obvious and pointless twist. I guess after seeing Oldboy and Memento, no revenge film will impress me.

Comment

Watched killer Joe and really enjoyed it despite the fact that its an absolutely sick and disgusting film that includes explicit scenes of things like peadophilia and is full of unlikeable characters that deserve to die. Despite all that though I somehow found it absolutely hilarious. Mathew Mccounahey was brilliant and terrifying in it and the ambiguous ending was quite clever I thought

as I didn't feel like it mattered if the daughter ended up shooting Joe or not, the point was that for the first time in the movie she had a choice

A thoroughly messed up yet absolutely riveting film.

Comment

Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning

It's actually quite good!

Comment

Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning

It's actually quite good!

Comment

So nice you posted twice!

I saw that Johnny Cage Bangkok Dangerous remake last weekend. I quite liked it, but my standards may have dropped.

I've noticed if I'm watching a film with others I'm a lot more forgiving.

For example, I saw Paranormal Activity 3 on Friday with my dad and little bro. It was awful but had a few cool scenes. Dad thought it was crap, mainly because he had trouble spotting things like the shadowy figure, etc, because of his eyesight(he's planning on getting a 60" telly now so he can see more!). He cracked me up when he said the most frightening scene in the whole film was

when the wife jumps out of the closet wearing the mask.

I agree

Comment

LOL! Thats classic

Also, dont you mean Nick Cage?

Comment

Johnny Cage!! LOL.

Comment

My hands typed it automatically and I left it.

Comment

Thats what she said . . .

Comment

Randomly watched The Kids Are Alright last night on sky.

The film is about a lesbian couple who each have a child by the same sperm donor, and years later one of the kids becomes curious as to who the father actually is. Sounds simple but stuff gets rather complicated.

Annette bening and julianne moore are just thoroughly outstanding as the main couple, i love each one as actors anyhow, but these kind of performances cement this opinion further. It doesnt stop there though, mark ruffalo is great as the laid back almost hippy like donor, and also the young girl who plays one of the kids is fantastic too.

This film took me by surprise a bit, when it first came on i was expecting a forgettable indie romp, that i could waste a couple of hours on, but by the end of the movie i was totally absorbed.

Original, full of superb performances making it wholly believable, funny, and rather touching.
                              8.5/10
                              Last edited by PaTaito; 09-11-2012, 13:26.

Comment

Immortals - a bit all over the shop story wise. Either bad editing or bad filmmaking, who knows. But visually a treat and some of the battle sequences and individual combat scenes were very cool. I enjoyed it for what it was, though I think 300 is far better.

Comment

Working...
                                X