Tr2n

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now called Tron Legacy

12:17PM - Introduction to Tron Legacy as it is now officially called. It looks like the title is Tron Legacy and not Tron 2 and not Tr2n.

12:18PM - Jeff Bridges talks about the title but says he's not going to explain it because he likes to know as little as possible. "It's about a sons search for his father." When we made that in 81, there was no internet.

12:19PM - "It wasn't a hard movie to recruit people for" because everyone was a fan of the original. We've got another year of work to do, so there's not a lot of show yet "in the world of Tron" but I did bring a couple of concept images.

12:20PM - The world of Tron is set on a server for 20 years kind of evolving on its own. More realistic, more darker, more visceral. Showing concept art photos of the new Recognizer ship floating through the city.

12:20PM - Going through concept art images showing us the world of Tron. Street of "Tron City" and an image of the "gladiator worlds" arena with Disc Wars. A glimpse of a disc game tournament in progress. 16 combatants are playing simultaneously. Eventually they play one-on-one eliminating each other and eventually get to the point where the last two people are fighting each other.

12:22PM - Showing some test footage of an athlete doing a slow-mo kick for the disc game. Looks awesome, he's flying through the air. Shot with the Phantom Camera. They are the first movie to the Phantom Camera in 3D.

12:23PM - Various vehicles of concept art. New vehicles including the "light runner" but like a light cycle except it carries two passengers and has four wheels. It can also turn into an off-road. The fifth generation light cycle concept art is shown (except the pictures to show up online later). Also showing a second generation light cycle that Kevin Flynn designed in 1989. Just a sneak peek of the concept art and what they're getting into now.

12:25PM - Steve Lisberger talking about how they're the right guys who came along 25 years later and "pulled the disc from the stone" (in a reference to King Arthur). It's a bit like the world of Tron and the story of Tron has come true (in this movie). It's like they really scanned Jeff Bridges and put him on a game grid. "It took 27 years to put a team together this good."

12:27PM - They did just finish filming but they cut a key scene together from the beginning of the movie in 2D.

12:30PM - Great scene where the main guy, Sam Flynn, goes into the old arcade because his friend received a fax from a number in his office. He walks through and flips on the lights then finds the Tron machine in the back. And he moves it away and there's a door in the wall behind it and walks through - it cuts.

Comment

Comment

This is going to be one sexy bitch of a movie. And I can't wait.

Comment

I'd like to see some moving footage theres a few slideshows on youtube, but my first impressions are.....looks too detailed and organic, needs less detail and more right angles.

And pink neon.

Comment

Awesome music - Daft Punk possibly?

Comment

I've the same opinion as Baseley really, loses a lot of the stylised nature of the original

Comment

Originally posted by Spatial101 View Post
                Awesome music - Daft Punk possibly?

Haha when he comes in the main room "OOOH MMMMYYY GOD!" and someone should have punched that screaming woman. "Woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooo *bang* shut the **** up"

Comment

That bit did spoil the kick ass tunage somewhat. Stupid bloody Americans with their need to be the loudest thing in the room

Comment

Merrick here Here's the official title treatment for TRON LEGACY (formerly TRON 2.0, TR2N, TRON, and "That New TRON Movie"). EMBIGGEN IT!!! And here's the production art shown at Comic-Con:

Needs more colour, bit too brooding imo...HYPED all the same!

Comment

very grimdark...

Comment

I quite like the look of it. Designing a sequel to Tron is a really tough ask because the original was designed to represent computers (and games) of the time. And that time is a whole other age when it comes to computers.

If anything, I almost feel they don't look different enough. Weren't the light cycles and the space invader guard things representative of games at the time? Would there even be light cycles now? In a way, Tron took very abstract graphics and built a world around it. But, while there is still so much abstract stuff going on behind the scenes, our graphics are now far less abstract. So things should look fancier, more complex and some things really should be entirely different - unless they are writing in that this is set in an antique. Actually, reading through the notes, that pretty much seems to be the case so I guess that fits.

In designing a modern sequel to Tron, I don't think there really is any right way to do it.

But I quite like the shots. Yes, they're darker and there seems to be some sort of brushed metal added but they look interesting. Different to anything we've seen recently.

Comment

I think that's the big problem I'm having with them. They're neither one thing or the other.

They don't capture the retro feel of the original but they don't update it to modern equivalents either. By giving them a 'realistic' makeover it's taking away from the fact that everything is all taking place in a computer.

Comment

I agree with Dogg.

I think the designs for Tron were of their time and we're living in very different times now. The changes in the style, and what they're aiming for, reflect that.

Last years Comic-Con hinted at a much darker storyline and it looks like they're following through with that, so I'd expect the tone of the film to be pretty much the same. Although I wouldn't be surprised if the final thing is a lot more colourful in parts - they're probably just not ready to show it off yet.

Of course the 80's brigade will piss and moan about it, but then they usually can't see past the end of their rose tinted glasses (not a pop at anyone who's posted in this thread so far but I'm sure they'll be along soon).

Comment

I don't think that 80's = Happy. The original (tho I've not seen it for a very long time) was very dark in tone, I just hoped for more colour in what we have been shown so far - maybe when/if it is used it will have more power bursting out against the dreary pallet currently shown?

Comment

Yeah the original was actually fairly dark in tone; an all powerful computer trying to control the world by assimilating programs and forcing them to play games. Sequels being dark for dark's sake is a bit of a cliché.

Coming soon: The Wizard 2.

Having struggled with his autism from childhood, the boy must now become a man and infiltrate the criminal world of game arenas. His, family brutally murdered and his friends forced into a life of drugs and prostitution, he must enter a no holds barred games tournament to save those he cherishes most!

Comment

Working...
                                X