Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jackie Chan is not the guy to play as a wise man like Pat Morita

Comment

I personally disliked teh film even as a kid, they then went on to make 2 more sequels or was it 3 more? Anyways........ they made sequels using the same old formula, jus slightly altered.

A remake will be just as painful........... although it they went all dark and mysterious then it could be good i guess

Comment

Originally posted by Darwock View Post
        I would say so.. wasn't Ralph Macchio about 30 years old when he did it? :P
        Yeah, and looked about 15 and still does. The 3 films were ****e and i don't think a remake would be any better.

"No retreat, no surrender" was a better martial arts movie about a bullied kid who speaks to Bruce Lee's spirit and then turns into a kung fu master and wallops a young van damme at the end

Comment

Originally posted by NemesiS View Post
          The 3 films were ****e
          NO!!!!!!!!

2 and 3 were poo

how can this be poo

**sings.......... the best around**

Comment

I loved them as a kid and even when they are now I enjoy watching them. The first one is great, the other are decent if nothing spectacular.

Comment

Originally posted by ne0star View Post

The problem with these crap remakes is they tend to take the original down the pan with them.
              That's is exactly my contention as well. It's tragically amusing to see Hollywood cannibalising itself like this.

But Jackie Chan as Mr. Miyagi? You mean out of all the actors out there, they couldn't find ONE actual Japanese guy!? FFS...

Originally posted by Richard.John
              Chinese, Japanese, Korean or Vietnamese........all the same to Hollywood.
              ...and most westerners it would seem. It annoys the living piss out of me when people use Chinese/Japanese interchangeably as if they were the same thing... and I'm not even Asian! (Good example: my friend who asked me if I pulled any "Chinese girls" when I was in Japan)

Imagine the furore if someone said "English... Scottish... same difference!"
              Last edited by Ady; 15-01-2009, 16:24.

Comment

Originally posted by Ady View Post

...and most westerners it would seem. It annoys the living piss out of me when people use Chinese/Japanese interchangeably as if they were the same thing... and I'm not even Asian! (Good example: my friend who asked me if I pulled any "Chinese girls" when I was in Japan)

Imagine the furore if someone said "English... Scottish... same difference!"
                It's just not being exposed enough to Asia more than anything else, to be honest i can't tell much of a difference between White people, or Black people, or South Asian people...etc.
                So personally i don't tend to expect people to be able to tell the difference between Far East Asians.

Probably annoys me a bit more when people start making stereotypical archetypes for what they think Chinese people, Korean people, Japanese should look like.

Comment

Jackie Chan has had plastic surgery to make himself look more American/Western, yers?

Comment

Originally posted by KusoGaki View Post
                    It's just not being exposed enough to Asia more than anything else, to be honest i can't tell much of a difference between White people, or Black people, or South Asian people...etc.
                    So personally i don't tend to expect people to be able to tell the difference between Far East Asians.
                    You're being too forgiving.

Everyone went to school. Everyone did geography. China and Japan are two entirely separate countries.

People should know that much at least, whether they can tell the peoples apart or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Ady View Post
                      You're being too forgiving.
                      People should know that much at least, whether they can tell the peoples apart or not.
                      i bet if you went into town and asked 10 people what countries make up the United Kingdom half wouldn't know

and 1 would probably ask what the United Kingdom is

Comment

You're probably right.

And this of course is a very bad thing. Very.

Comment

The cast for the original were perfect. Ralph Macchio[Daniel] was 23 at the time, but looked younger, and had the right persona of being quite a cool guy, but a bit geeky too. He was great in the role.

Then you have Mr Miyagi[Pat Morita] .. who is an iconic 80s character. Once again.. perfect casting.

I don't think anyone could match what they did originally. It's just too perfect - and still stands-up today.

Hollywood has less than half the magic it once had. There is always a slim chance that a film will turn out to be good these days.

Comment

problem is with remakes ...is that alot of the younger generation (showing my age now Lol) will associate with the remake rather then the usually superior original

Comment

The original is a classic, although I didn't think much to the follow ups.

Any remake with a 10 year old as the lead is going to be dumbed down way to much, not that the original was violent.

Comment

Originally posted by Darwock View Post
                                I would say so.. wasn't Ralph Macchio about 30 years old when he did it? :P
                                Originally posted by Leon Ahoy! View Post
                                Ralph Macchio[Daniel] was 23 at the time
                                Ralph Macchio was actually 22 when filming for the first Karate Kid film began in late 1983, turning 23 when it was released in 1984. He was 28 around the time of The Karate Kid Part III (1989), and almost didn't resume the role for that very reason.

As far as the proposed remake goes, I'm with the majority on this one - thanks, but no thanks.
                                Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 17-01-2009, 12:18.

Comment

Working...
                                X