No announcement yet.

Revenge movies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nobody does revenge like Lee Marvin - it's gotta be Point Blank. I have a feeling they remade this recently?

Comment

The Princess Bride (My name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my father, now....prepare to die!)

Comment

If you can stomach it Irreversible. Revenge goes horribly wrong.

Comment

The original 'Walking Tall' with Joe Don Baker. Only just watched it last week after many a year, an insanely overlooked corker.

Comment

I love revenge movies as well.

If you want to see what inspired Kill Bill & Daryl Hannahs character then deffinitley check out...

Thriller: A Cruel Picture/They call her One Eye

Awesome movie & one of the best revenge flicks ever.

Also look at...

Last House on the left
            Lady Snowblood series (Another influence for Kill Bill)
            Man on Fire (Awesome Denzel Washington movie)
            Fight for your Life (Another 70's exploitation Revenge flick & as racist as humanly possible but a great movie & deeply disturbing)
            House on the Edge of the Park
            Death Sentance
            The Brave One

Infact pretty much any of the awesome 70's Exploitation moves have some sort of revegene theme going on so might be worth looking into more of them.

Neil

Comment

Taken has some pretty awesome scenes of revenge in it

Comment

Soundwave knows his revenge movie onions.

Got to add Evilspeak to the list, military cadet nerd revenge via demon-infested 8-bit computer.

Comment

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
                  Soundwave knows his revenge movie onions.

Got to add Evilspeak to the list, military cadet nerd revenge via demon-infested 8-bit computer.
                  I thank you

I went through a stage a couple of years back of watching nothing but 70's & 80's Exploitation/Grindhouse cinema & it is the most vastly different & interesting genre ever.

Some of it is utter rubbish but almost 90% of what I saw was awesome beyond all belief.
                  And some of it was so downright distrubing that no amount of mind bleach will undo what I saw

From there I moved onto the more recent movies which are trying to recreate the 70's heyday with things like the August Underground & Guinea Pig series & those are just depraved & beyond all comprehension & how they can be called entertainment is beyond me...I've seen some nasty stuff but those were beyond what I could comfotably cope with, I'd never felt dirty after watching a film before but I certainly did after viewing them.

Anyway back on topic...

One I fogrot to add was Rob Zombies The Devils Rejects.
                  One of my best movies of all time.
                  Features what I regard as the best movie soundtrack ever & has some amazing performances & is just simply the best (reverse) revenge movie ever comitted to celuloid.

Neil

Comment

Red Road last night on BBC2 had a revenge theme. I was breathing in the glasgow air when I watched it last night.

Comment

I guess the Toxic Avenger films are kinda revenge movies - again, with the theme of the nerd getting vengeance on his bullies. Number three is ****, though, absolute arse-garbage.

Comment

oh one film i thought of...the wraith

Comment

There's Hard Candy which although it raises interesting questions

ultimately cops out by making the guy really a murderer and making the moral issues a whole lot less grey

A Time to Kill is about the aftermath of a revenge killing.

There's some lighter ones too. Teaching Miss Tingle, and right down at the family friendly end of the the scale there's Big Fat Liar.

Comment

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
                            I guess the Toxic Avenger films are kinda revenge movies - again, with the theme of the nerd getting vengeance on his bullies. Number three is ****, though, absolute arse-garbage.
                            You cant beat Troma movies

They were my first foray into trash/gore movies way back while I was at school.

Have you seen one called Terra-Firmer??
                            Thats utterly bizarre & has possibly the only scene to ever make me wince in sympathy with the victim

**NWS http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iv7Nua9neJU NWS***

Neil

Comment

Agree with Neil here; Last House on the Left (now passed uncut by the BBFC in a 3-discer; and a great soundtrack by David Hess; the film's lead), Last House on Dead End Street (Although like most 70's 'video-nasties' this is a very, very dubious movie; the 'blackface' scene as I remember is straight weird)...

There is also one with a female cyborg, not hugely known but it is mentioned in a book of essays; 'Screening the Male', by a fella called Steve Neal - if you're into revenge flicks check out his essay on I Spit on Your Grave (another horrific but cult revenge flick)
                              Also perhaps Deadbeat at Dawn!? Maybe even Cannibal Holocaust to a degree; although not revenge in the traditional sense perhaps. The Chan Park-Wook Trilogy is a master-class in both film and revenge as has been mentioned.
                              For a more recent twist try Gran Torino; enjoy, or not as the case may be

P.S: Perhaps also 'Audition', Japanese flick. Again 'revenge' is quite a 'loose' title here but I guess could be seen as such.

Guinea Pig series
                              Was going to drop those in but, as I'm sure you'll agree, they are both vomit-inducing and not so much 'revenge' as torture and an obliteration of the human body for no apparent reason; much like, as you comment, the dire and bewildering (seemingly) self-aware attempts nowadays at recreating a series of movies which are surely only worth viewing as products of their era?
                              Last edited by Escape-To-88; 03-03-2009, 09:29.
                              3DS FC (updated 2015): 0447-8108-3129

Comment

another Revenge movie I recieved over the weekend & forgot to mention but seeing Mr 88 mention Cyborg females reminded me is Machine Girl

Been after a copy for a while then managed to track down a cheap second hand copy off of a friend on AV Forums

Not watched it yet but I'm looking forward to a typically totally OTT revenge effort.

Your not wrong with the Guinea Pig sereis.
                                I can see no reason other than morbid curiosity to watch these movies...which was my main reason for seeing them all
                                Not a single redeeming feature amongst them, much like as you said the current trend towards self aware gore for gores sake movies.

I had the misfortune of seeing Slaughtered Vomit Dolls recently & thats just awful on so many levels, trying to take on Fred Vogel at his own game & just succedding in making me want to Vomit myself (I cant understand the whole reason behind self induced vomitting & then proceeding to do things with said vomit...it just beggars all belief & sanity IMO)
                                Disgustting & not worth buying as all your doing is funding this continuing trend.
                                Still I appreciate the effort in pushing the envelope but sometimes it can just go too far as is seen in Fred Vogel/Toetag Pictures works.
                                I appreciate gore with the best of them but sometimes it can be too much.

Neil
                                Last edited by Soundwave; 03-03-2009, 09:43.

Comment

Working...
                                X