No announcement yet.

District 9

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which cinema? Was it a digital print? Not that digital means it won't fit the screen, but it was probably just how the cinema did it. According to imdb (and the divx I have) it's regular old 16:9, not super duper wide. Were the borders along the sides, or all around the picture?

As for the slum, I just thought he knew where he was heading (Chris' house). The fuel thing could be seen as some kind of funky script rewrite but I imagine there was some kind of homework done to come up with the idea. For all we know Christopher might have been referring to it as 'fuel' because it's less to think about, like when I'm explaining to my mum how to do stuff with Sky or the internet

Comment

It was Cineworld in Birmingham. Don't think it was a digital print.

It had borders either side of the screen.

Was going to get up to complain, but no text was missing from the sides so I knew it was set up right.

But off-putting to be honest. It didn't even seem like 16:9!

Credit to the film that I could get over it though.

I like your explanation, Billy, but it's still a little coincidental

Comment

Makes sense then, some cinemas have a super wide screen and 16:9 films don't reach the sides, and other smaller ones will have a 16:9 setup that shortens vertically for super wide stuff

Comment

the fuel is basically the macguffin of the film. i wouldn't count it as a negative personally.

Comment

I actually thought this was ****e, did no-one else? Just quickly looked at a few pages on here and everyone seems to love it.

The trailer looked awesome, and I thought the film was gonna be great before seeing it. The idea was tremendous; alien ship stopping over Earth and coming out to try and live there. But the film just did not deliver at all. The dialogue was awful, the script was just a mess and seemed to be written by children, the main character was quite poor also and the whole thing just seemed very rushed. The CGI was really good though, I spent most of the film looking at that as I was quite bored from it all.

For some reason I want to see it again just because I feel really disappointed and I want to like it. I thought the idea of the film was amazing and was so excited to see it but they just never pulled it off at all.

Comment

I started watching this with a copy on DVD, the print was decent to be honest but as I got into the movie I turned it off and I'll probably wait for the blu ray as I want to enjoy it properly

Comment

Originally posted by Rossco View Post
                I actually thought this was ****e, did no-one else? Just quickly looked at a few pages on here and everyone seems to love it.

The trailer looked awesome, and I thought the film was gonna be great before seeing it. The idea was tremendous; alien ship stopping over Earth and coming out to try and live there. But the film just did not deliver at all. The dialogue was awful, the script was just a mess and seemed to be written by children, the main character was quite poor also and the whole thing just seemed very rushed. The CGI was really good though, I spent most of the film looking at that as I was quite bored from it all.

For some reason I want to see it again just because I feel really disappointed and I want to like it. I thought the idea of the film was amazing and was so excited to see it but they just never pulled it off at all.
                Yes, I was the only other one in this thread with negative comments about the film. I felt it was a wasted opportunity.

Comment

Originally posted by Rossco View Post

Each to their own and all that, but i just can't see how you thought ''The dialogue was awful, the script was just a mess and seemed to be written by children, the main character was quite poor also and the whole thing just seemed very rushed''

I suppose that's the beauty of opinion... but to me, the points above are like saying a rocket isn't fast or a snail isn't slow. Of course, I can say a snail isn't slow because it's my opinion, but then, well, there has to be a line surely? I can happily accept District 9 isn't everyone's tastes, but i would think, whether a person's taste or not, that its quality still shines through. But anyhoo... I hope this doesn't look like i'm jumping on the defense, because i'm really not... I just find it quite astonishing anyone could perceive this film as ''a mess written by children''.

Last edited by Adam Stone; 23-09-2009, 20:24.
                  ----Member since April 2002

http://www.redbubble.com/people/adamstone

Comment

I thought the script was very honest and believable.... different strokes

Comment

Nigeria Calls For "District 9" Ban In Theaters

Comment

I knew nothing about the film before I watched it on Tuesday.

Wasn't keen on the doumentary style at first but by the end of the film it fits, second viewing would be better. I didn't realise there were subs available for the aliens until about half way through, in a way it hightened the atmosphere not knowing what they were saying, would make the end of the film unitelligible though!

Loved the irony of the camp being in Jo'burg, I was watching it with my sister who is over from South Africa at the moment, they live 30km from Jo'burg. The sweet twist of the locals wanting to move the aliens on due to crime had me chuckling.

Comment

OK, just seen this in hi def surround sound. Dont think it added to the film but I did find it amazing. The CGI just blended in seamlessy with live action, after about 15 mins I was practically believing the "prawns" were integrating with the humans for real.

If this was based in the US or the UK it wouldnt have worked because obviously the pranws were meant to be representing black africans during apartheid on one level. It was still refreshing to see the aliens land somewhere else anyway.

Was the main guy not even a real actor before this, and now he's playing Murdock in the A team film? MAD!

Anyway, I enjoyed it, especially as it just builds into more and more intense action towards the end. Some of the bangs and explosions were good fun, more gory than I was expecting but that must've been the Peter Jackson involvement. This film proves that they should still go ahead for a massive budget Halo movie with the same people behind the helm. The SFX alone would be amazing, imagine if they went for Avatar level 3d as well?

Comment

Watched this last night on teh Blu-rizzle and it was an incredible film!!

The SFX were exceptional and I thought the story moved at a fantastic pace - at no point was I sat wondering when things would pick up.

I loved the docu-style elements spliced with the rest of the film as it gave a nice change of perspective.

Seriously, one of the best films I've seen this year. Truly awesome!!

The only thing that annoyed me was the subtitles for some of the human characters who were speaking English but with a heavy accent. I suppose that's a concession to the US market much like what happened with Trainspotting. I couldn't see a way to turn them off. Anyone know?

I want one of the mechs!!!

Last edited by teddymeow; 30-12-2009, 18:17.

Comment

Definitely my film of 09.

Comment

Working...
                              X