No announcement yet.

District 9

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The composite work was stunning, but money on actors and plotting would be better spent in the sequel

Comment

I thought the main actor was awesome, very believable.

Comment

Originally posted by ezee ryder View Post
        I totally agree with that. Can't wait for this film to hit blu-ray, it will look stunning if its given the proper treatment.

Comment

Originally posted by ezee ryder View Post
          Me too. I thought his awkwardness made him that more believable.

As others have said, I don't think Hollywood could have, or would have, made this film and they should be embarrassed by what this film achieved with 30 mil.

Comment

Basically what Chris Field said.

Fantastic movie.

Not sure what else I could add!

Comment

Originally posted by Zero9X View Post
              I totally agree with that. Can't wait for this film to hit blu-ray, it will look stunning if its given the proper treatment.
              My thoughts exactly, can't wait for the blu-ray release. I really wanna watch it again at the cinema but I think I will hold out for the blu-ray release (well I hope I will anyway).

Comment

Originally posted by Jebus View Post
                Basically what Chris Field said.

Fantastic movie.

Not sure what else I could add!
                A few fooks wouldn't go amiss

Comment

Basically what Chris f*cking Field said.

F*cking fantastic movie.

No sure what else I could f*cking add!

Comment

The main character was Murray from the Conchords minus the comedy and charm. He was more annoying than anything else. The aliens also reminded me of the new Transformers designs. And squid faces!! Call me old school but I prefer the grey guys with funny shaped heads.

I'm obviously in the minority here, which surprises me as I like most films I see, regardless of how crap they review. I just can't see whats good about the story in this film.

Comment

Comparing the look of an alien creature to a mechanical one? That's a stretch! I'm thinking because both have slightly wide-apart eyes. That's all!

I thought it was honest. 20 years after the "glamour" of first contact, you are plonked directly into a situation that is entirely plausible. Man trying to exploit the technology by any means possible, and Man's contempt for something different. The fact it was based in South Africa just emphasised those points - aliens arriving on what could well have been a slave ship against their will, being exploited, herded into a ghetto and treated as being beneath humans. I was torn up by the treatment of them, it was a shocking indictment of the horrors Man has inflicted on those they deem unworthy - be it Apartheid or, more closely in this case, the treatment of Jews in WWII.

It also asked questions that weren't answered, something few films are brave enough to do these days. The biggest one being

are the Prawns an offshoot of man, or even possibly time travelers? Turning a man into a Prawn is an intriguing premise.

As for comparisons with Murray, that's just wrong. The accents aren't even similar! You have a non-Hollywood unconventional leading man, an Everyman. His journey, his arc, is honest and believable. He's no White Knight, he has as much disdain for the Prawns as everyone else.

It felt real.

Comment

I loved the aliens myself, i thought they were wonderfully designed and animated. The relationship and emotion between the father and the son i found rather astounding.

Comment

for me I think the element of the story I most enjoyed was in a country that had suffered under apartheid both 'sides' were more than willing to engage in very similar, and ultimately worse behaviour against a physically different, but still identifiably humanoid life form.

added a really understated but significant element to the film for me.

Comment

What made me chuckle is that the documentary bits were so close to what would happen in real life.

DAILY MAIL HEADLINE
                            Alien refuges taking 15 million in tax payers money every month.

Also the very real representation of what your typical miliatary lead corperation would do in the kind of situation that the film depicts. Underhand dealings and total disregard for human life due to shady and immoral doings becoming simply a job.

The lead soldier was the perfect example of someone given weapons and authority.

Comment

I really want to see this.... Hoping to see it this friday, looks and sounds bloody brilliant.
                              ----Member since April 2002

http://www.redbubble.com/people/adamstone

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Stone View Post
                                I really want to see this.... Hoping to see it this friday, looks and sounds bloody brilliant.
                                Loving your subliminal messages. Neck and arms ok now? Finger?

Comment

Working...
                                X