No announcement yet.

District 9

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Without Jackson, Blomkamp wouldn't have been able to make this film. In fact I doubt Blomkamp will have the freedom to do something like this ever again!

Comment

He will if its a hit, that will give him the freedom to stand alone

Comment

I have high hopes for this film after the disappointment of movies so far this year.

Comment

It's a shame we've got to wait a couple of weeks after the US for this, but it comes out on my birthday here in the UK.

Comment

It is indeed a very entertaining film.

I'm one Halo fan that is absolutely praising the demise of the Halo movie project. What we got instead is far more compelling. This has none of the expectation that kills most videogame - movie adaptations. No baggage to trip over. It is completely fresh with its original story, unrecognisable cast and fairly thick Sth African accents.

I'm sure Blomkamp would have made a fine Halo film, but now I no longer care. I think as far as directorial debuts go, this is pretty much as good as it gets.

Comment

Really looking forward to this, watched the first trailer and that was all I needed so I went straight into media blackout

Comment

I caught a trailer the other day and I couldn't believe how different it looked, looks awesome

Comment

Just back from seeing this myself. Gets two thumbs up from me, an absolutely great movie. Highly reccommend sticking to the media blackout route and seeing this without much prior knowledge. I did the same and it was definitely the way to go, even the mrs loved it and she generally dislikes sci-fi.

Comment

Loving the look of it from the trailer, cant wait for this now!.

Comment

just been to see this, fair to say its a film of 2 halves.

the first half is a rather brilliant docu style film showing very plasuibly the completely implausible of what may happen if aliens arrive.

second half feels like a totally different film as essentially it becomes more standard action fare, and is subsequently not a match for the first hour.

great to see a semi intelligent sci-fi film with some fairly obvious social commentary going on, and further plus points for it being set in South Africa and not LA or New York. Also the south african lead actor is pretty convincing, especially in the first bit.
                      Last edited by merf; 04-09-2009, 15:10.

Comment

I would go with that Merf 100% it just got a little worse over time, still better than all the major blockbusters

Comment

One thing I found brilliant with this film is how believable the "prawns" are. Not once did I think of them as CG characters Can`t believe they filmed this for a reported $30 million dollars tbh. I agree with others that the 1st half was probably the best part, but thought it redeemed itself towards the end.

Comment

Thought it was brilliant. Sure it gets a bit actiony at the end, but I felt the film had earned it by that point.

Incredibly brutal and disturbing, a proper sci-fi which doesn't explain much at all and feels all too realistic.

Hope it does well over here and they make a sequel, would like to see where they'd take that - several avenues open. The screening I saw was surprisingly quiet for a pic like this though, and heard rumblings of discontent when leaving. I missed trailers pretty much, bar a quick glimpse, but had the impression this was being marketted as a different kind of film.

Good to see the Red One being used on a big screen as well

Comment

Its like they had a great idea (Alive in Johberg) and then could not think of a story for the whole movie.
                              Its still great and I loved the Exosuit

Comment

Just saw it today at Leicester Square Vue. Not many people (5:30pm showing) but most of us sort of clapped at the end which felt nice. I was actually a bit worried watching it because the alien cgi was the best I've seen since Jurassic Park and I just felt myself losing my grip on reality

Funnily enough, I thought the exosuit animation looked more out of place than the aliens themselves.

Absolutely adored it, everything about it. I can't find one thing to fault. I'm sort of glad the documentary style wasn't carried through as I'm getting a bit tired of all that shaky cam nonsense (there was a bit during the normal filmy-style bits but not enough to annoy me), and as others have said, it was intelligent enough that I didn't feel it needed to carry on with the docu style. Lead actor was class, and there were so many tense scenes. The $30 million budget astounds me - either cgi's getting very cheap or they're outsourcing their animation to foreign cgi sweatshops

Loved the

f**king lollipop bit (in fact, every time he mentioned the f-word it had me in stitches), and the bra-wearing alien, and of course the Nigerian scammers!

Feverishly waiting for the BR release as I imagine the extras will be good eatin'

Comment

Working...
                                X