No announcement yet.

Drag Me To Hell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saw this yesterday, wasn't ground breaking but it was fairly fun. Was a bit slow for a while, a bit too much time spent on the mysterious noises and shadows once the curse was invoked. Nice amount of gross out stuff

and the bit with the anvil made me chuckle

although there humour wasn't as frequent as Evil Dead.

As for the ending

you could see it coming a long way away (although I half expected the perfect boyfriend to be dragged down instead) but it was a suitably harsh ending for a film dripping with black comedy

I like supernatural horror that tried to be different and I'm hoping this sees a return of stuff like House and Evil Dead. Got a lot of hype for a horror (perhaps more than it deserved). God knows how this god a PG-13 in America though, not much gore but there is a lot of gross out stuff.

Comment

I'm a Raimi fan so, this was exactly what i was hoping for. It was funny, disgusting, invented. The sound design was awesome and there were many evil dead references.

The seance scene, where the spirit takes control of the guy is very similar to any of the spirits in evil dead.

Even quite liked justin long in this. Like you abigsmurf

I thought he would go to hell. It was obvious she didn't have the button but a lot of Ash-isms during the gravedigging scene so it was worth it and any excuse to get her shirt wet is worth it. Maybe her and Ash in evil Dead 4...

Comment

Originally posted by jezzace View Post
        I'm a Raimi fan so, this was exactly what i was hoping for. It was funny, disgusting, invented. The sound design was awesome and there were many evil dead references.

The seance scene, where the spirit takes control of the guy is very similar to any of the spirits in evil dead.
        deadites

i'm also a pretty big Raimi fan and i was pretty let down, might check it out again when it hits DVD

Comment

What an utter, utter pile of sh*t i have just sat through

This film is quite possibly the biggest waste of 90 mins i think i have ever had the misfortune to watch other than maybe the Ladykillers with Hanks.

How this film has garnered any kind of positive reviews is supernatural in itself and i can only assume the reviewers have all been Raimi fanboys from his days when the Evil Dead reigned supreme.

Its not scary and its certainly not funny. In fact this film is probably on a par with Scary Movie (which i have never even seen and don't have to) to know it will be as stupidly juvenile as this sack of sh*t.
          I really thought Raimi had made another classic after reading the reviews over the last few months. But a horror for 10 year olds trying to rip off some of the elements that made the evil dead so good years ago has sunk it with the whale sh*t imo.

Very very very disappointed . And don't even start me on the talking goat

PS..i loved the Evil Dead btw but i do wonder what has happened to the horror genre??? Every new horror that comes out gets touted as the best shocker in years and ends up being complete tosh.

Maybe i'm just immune to them now but i really can not remember a decent horror in the last 10 years. REC was ok (i'm not counting Quarantine as it was pap), Let the right one in wasn't a horror, The Ruins was actually pretty good but again wasn't really a horror or scary, just a good watch as it was different.

Whats happened to making films like The Thing, The Evil Dead, The Burning, Dawn of the Dead (the remake was excellent admittedly) etc. Horror comedy for me is a complete waste of time.

Rant over

Comment

Better with an audience and cinema setup I guess but as an Evil Dead fan I loved it.

Comment

I thought it was great. Made me laugh out loud alot. I really think that the press blurb should be ignored, it isn't anything like what they have said though.

Comment

Originally posted by Zero9X View Post
                I thought it was great. Made me laugh out loud alot. I really think that the press blurb should be ignored, it isn't anything like what they have said though.
                I agree there Zero, i don't normally take any notice of the critics, but the feedback on here and all round the web in general had me thinking that Raimi had made a triumphant return to the horror genre.

Contrary to most peoples opinions, I don't actually consider the Evil Dead a comedy. Sure it had elements of humour, but i genuinely felt that it was made as a serious horror (as far as the subject can be considered serious) and it was all the better for it. The second seemed to go with more humour and the series went south from there for me.

Drag me to Hell started ok but as soon as the fight in the car park started and went completely silly with the stapler, i just knew it was going to be nonsense, for me anyway.

Like i said, i'm not a fan of the comedy horror. I just don't see the point as its just a total contradiction of genres, it just doesn't make sense.

Comment

I think the comparisons people are saying with Evil Dead extend from Evil Dead 2 and Army of Darkness. As they are very comedy focused. The first film had its comedy touches from Raimi's huge love for the three stooges, but it wasn't a huge focus compared to the horror. I consider Evil Dead 1 a true horror masterpiece (imo), its my favourite film of his & the series.

People seem to forget how much a horror the original film was, i find it gets overlooked in favour for 2 & 3. It wasn't labelled a video nastie at the time for nothing.
                  Last edited by SuperBeatBoy; 19-09-2009, 21:14.

Comment

Originally posted by NemesiS View Post
                    What an utter, utter pile of sh*t i have just sat through

This film is quite possibly the biggest waste of 90 mins i think i have ever had the misfortune to watch other than maybe the Ladykillers with Hanks.

How this film has garnered any kind of positive reviews is supernatural in itself and i can only assume the reviewers have all been Raimi fanboys from his days when the Evil Dead reigned supreme.

Its not scary and its certainly not funny. In fact this film is probably on a par with Scary Movie (which i have never even seen and don't have to) to know it will be as stupidly juvenile as this sack of sh*t.
                    I really thought Raimi had made another classic after reading the reviews over the last few months. But a horror for 10 year olds trying to rip off some of the elements that made the evil dead so good years ago has sunk it with the whale sh*t imo.

Very very very disappointed . And don't even start me on the talking goat

PS..i loved the Evil Dead btw but i do wonder what has happened to the horror genre??? Every new horror that comes out gets touted as the best shocker in years and ends up being complete tosh.

Maybe i'm just immune to them now but i really can not remember a decent horror in the last 10 years. REC was ok (i'm not counting Quarantine as it was pap), Let the right one in wasn't a horror, The Ruins was actually pretty good but again wasn't really a horror or scary, just a good watch as it was different.

Whats happened to making films like The Thing, The Evil Dead, The Burning, Dawn of the Dead (the remake was excellent admittedly) etc. Horror comedy for me is a complete waste of time.

Rant over
                    agreed this film was abyssmal.

apart from a few laughs i got when she was fighting the old hag this really was a waste

Comment

Originally posted by nightstalker100 View Post
                      agreed this film was abyssmal.

apart from a few laughs i got when she was fighting the old hag this really was a waste
                      I agree. It's a weak, stupid, pathetic film. Starts off well, then goes down hill at an alarming rate - to the point where it's like the writers had 10minutes to think up any old rubbish.

The lead actress was extremely irritating, but I won't focus solely on her because the other cast members were very dull and almost taking the piss with their poor acting.

The effects and ideas were like something from a dodgy episode of the childrens show 'Goosebumps' - Which is fine for kids, but as an adult.. I desire something reasonably well written. Even seen as a comedy farce, it failed to have any memorable, truly funny moments.

It amazes me - and also depresses me that critics can give low grade rubbish like this, high ratings. They are either corrupt - or suffering from some brain ailment that renders them moronically dim.

A shame, because I had high hopes for it, after noticing how much positive press it has received. I'm glad that some people share my negative view of it.
                      Last edited by Leon Retro; 05-10-2009, 07:26.

Comment

Working...
                      X