No announcement yet.

Total Recall (remake)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Surely the point of a movie is to entertain. Total Recall does that and even it was is just a dream, it is a flipping entertaining one.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoppy2000 View Post
      But character development and storyline can occur in a dream. You do realise total recall is not a documentary right? Essentially none of it really happened..
      Character development could occur if it was all a dream and then there was a final scene at the end of the movie where Arnie had an epiphany and dumped his wife and quit his job and ran away to mars or something. But none of that happens, so all we are left to assume is that if it is a dream nothing has changed, and the film was pointless.

Films are indeed made to entertain, but they generally don't entertain if the story goes nowhere, and they certainly don't entertain if you think the story has gone somewhere, but then the film spits in your face and tells you it hasn't actually gone anywhere at all.

Comment

This is a pointless discussion if the 'hoven has confirmed its a dream.

Like someone has said earlier the way the films plays out there are 3 possible outcomes: 1. Correctly purchased dream 2. botched dream and in coma or 3. Its all coincidentally real.

Rmoxon I really think you are retarded though and I mean that in the nicest possible way. You come out with the maddest statements and always fail to back them up. How is the dream ending a spit in the face? If it prevents you from enjoying the action, classic one liners or Benny and his 5/3 hungry kids then I feel sorry for you.

Comment

Originally posted by bash View Post
          This is a pointless discussion if the 'hoven has confirmed its a dream.

Like someone has said earlier the way the films plays out there are 3 possible outcomes: 1. Correctly purchased dream 2. botched dream and in coma or 3. Its all coincidentally real.

Rmoxon I really think you are retarded though and I mean that in the nicest possible way. You come out with the maddest statements and always fail to back them up. How is the dream ending a spit in the face? If it prevents you from enjoying the action, classic one liners or Benny and his 5/3 hungry kids then I feel sorry for you.
          You call me a retard but then ask me to tell you things that I have already stated multiple times?

Look.......For me at least the whole idea of a film is to be taken to another world, if he's just at the Recall place dreaming the entire time then you haven't been taken anywhere, you're basically watching another persons pre programmed fantasy where there was never any danger, or excitement, or loss, or love, or death, or hope, or victory. After thinking that you'd had just been through all that with the characters the film simply turns itself around and says "**** you, none of that happened!"

For me that's a massive kick in the face.

Comment

Originally posted by rmoxon View Post
            But in general films that have no character development are considered bad, If Total Recall is all a dream then it has no character development, and in fact nothing actually happened in the film at all.
            I don't think I've ever seen a film where the exact on screen events have actually happened. I watched Shawshank Redemption recently, and the movie didn't actually happen so was the entire film pointless? There was still character development and an entertaining film, even though the events never happened in real life...

Alternatively, should I watch Inception and the Matrix and ignore all the bits that don't happen in the real world?

Comment

It's perfectly possible for Quaid to have character development despite being in Recall. Though the events he's experiencing aren't real, he believes they are for the duration of the time he's in there. Though it's all a false world it's not the same as a literal dream or there's no point Recall existing, the experience he's paid for feels very real to him. Hell, there's no way you could go through a Recall experience like that and come out not affected by it. We don't have to see the change afterwards, it can be up to the viewer to decide how heavily it impacts his real life, just as it was left to the viewer to decide if he was in Recall or not.

Comment

Originally posted by mekanor View Post
                I don't think I've ever seen a film where the exact on screen events have actually happened. I watched Shawshank Redemption recently, and the movie didn't actually happen so was the entire film pointless? There was still character development and an entertaining film, even though the events never happened in real life...

Alternatively, should I watch Inception and the Matrix and ignore all the bits that don't happen in the real world?
                Err....

I never said films were actually real.

Please use your brain before posting and also learn to read what people are saying properly.

I was talking about how films immerse you in another world and if you are told that world isn't real and the events you watched didn't happen then it breaks the immersion.

Inception doesn't end with someone waking up and going "well shucks it was all a dream" and then acting like nothing happened. In inception the main character learns things and moves on. If total recall is all about somtthing that was programmed in a guys head then there is no development, there's nothing to the film becuase nothing has happened. We might as well have watched arnie play FIFA for 2 hours. Because that's effectively what he was doing. Playing a video game.
                Last edited by rmoxon; 09-08-2012, 07:44.

Comment

Anyway at the end of the day it's just my opinion and I'm bored of people jumping on my opinion and calling me a retard just becuase it seems the cool thing to do in here now to be honest. Especially when I'm giving intelligent and well thought out discussion. And I'm tired of people acting like I just blurt things out when I always have well thought I reasons for what I'm saying. People just can't be bothered to see anything but their own point of view and it's sickening.

The ignorance and stupidity of others on here is just getting a bit too much now.

If people like the idea that total recall is all a pre programmed computer dream then I'm happy for them. But personally, for me, it detracts from my connection to the characters and story of the film as it makes it all meaningless.
                  Last edited by rmoxon; 09-08-2012, 08:22.

Comment

You are comedy gold and that is definitely not meaningless!

Comment

Anyway at the end of the day it's just my opinion and I'm bored of people jumping on my opinion and calling me a retard just becuase it seems the cool thing to do in here now to be honest. Especially when I'm giving intelligent and well thought out discussion. And I'm tired of people acting like I just blurt things out when I always have well thought I reasons for what I'm saying. People just can't be bothered to see anything but their own point of view and it's sickening.

The ignorance and stupidity of others on here is just getting a bit too much now.

If people like the idea that total recall is all a pre programmed computer dream then I'm happy for them. But personally, for me, it detracts from my connection to the characters and story of the film as it makes it all meaningless.
                      Many times I have misread your name as moronx. Now I realise how appropriate that is.

Comment

Thanks for proving my point.

Comment

rmoxon, you're not retarded and I understand the point you're trying to make.
                          The problem is some of your posts come across as statements of fact.

I think you need to pepper your posts with a few more subjective disclaimers as you make a lot of posts that seem like statements.
                          Try adding "I think", "I believe", "In my opinion", "I like the idea that", "my assessment is", "I assume", "I have a conception", "my conclusion is", "it's pure conjecture, but", "I estimate", "my feeling is", "I guess", "I have a hypothesis", " the impression I get", "I have the inclination", "from that inference", "in my judgment", "in my mind", "I like the notion", " my point of view is", "may I postulate that", "my presupposition is, "my reaction was", "in my say-so", "my sentiment is", "this the my slant on it", "I could only surmise that", "I have a suspicion that", "my take on it", "I have a theory", "I thought", "my view is" and "here's my viewpoint".

Try adding some of those to your posts and it'll be game-on!

I appreciate your posts and some of the discussion that results. The forum wouldn't be as colourful without you.

Back on topic, I always thought it was really happening, but the only evidence I based it on was a single bead of sweat on the "Doctor's" head. I like that I can watch the film again and have a different take on it.

I'm a fan of happy endings too:
                          I kind of like the American cut of Brazil where they lopped the last few seconds off!

Also, my Mom cut off the last few seconds of Jeff Wayne's "War of the Worlds" musical when she taped it as she didn't like the idea that we'd defeated the Martians... for now...

The remake has started getting some pretty negative reviews, bv the way!

Comment

Oh and let's stop calling each other names. It's a bit immature.

You stupid poo-poo heads.

Comment

Please use your brain before posting and also learn to read what people are saying properly.
                              So it's only terrible if you're the one being called a retard? My first intelligent and well thought out contribution to the topic with no personal attacks or anything and I get told to switch on my brain.

Comment

Sorry for calling you retarded, it was a bit uncalled for.

I do think you have some kind of internet aspergers though.....

Comment

Working...
                                X