No announcement yet.

Nightmare on Elm St Remake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought Jeepers Creepers was great... Until the monster was revealed and it became incredibly generic.

There is creative horror around, you just have to look hard for it. Hollywood just doesn't pump money into horror unless there are big names behind it or it's a franchise.

What do we have to look forward to from Hollywood? Scream 4, Hellraiser remake, Let me In (Let the right one in remake starring Hit Girl) Saw 9493, Paranormal Activity 2, Eli Roth's exorcist mockumentary, The Thing prequel, Aliens prequel. It's pretty depressing stuff. The only vague hope there is is Del Toro's adaptation of Lovecraft's Mountains of Madness (if he ever gets around to making it)

Human Centipede looks all kinds of messed up though.

Comment

Originally posted by abigsmurf View Post
      I thought Jeepers Creepers was great... Until the monster was revealed and it became incredibly generic.

There is creative horror around, you just have to look hard for it. Hollywood just doesn't pump money into horror unless there are big names behind it or it's a franchise.

What do we have to look forward to from Hollywood? Scream 4, Hellraiser remake, Let me In (Let the right one in remake starring Hit Girl) Saw 9493, Paranormal Activity 2, Eli Roth's exorcist mockumentary, The Thing prequel, Aliens prequel. It's pretty depressing stuff. The only vague hope there is is Del Toro's adaptation of Lovecraft's Mountains of Madness (if he ever gets around to making it)

Human Centipede looks all kinds of messed up though.
      I have seen The Human Centipede. Its alright and really hilarious in places, but it has its baffling stupid parts too. People will probably end up forgetting about it tbh. It really depends as there really isn't anything on screen that could freak you out, everything takes place out of shot and its really up to your imagination.

The mad surgeon played by Dieter Laser is wonderful though, he steals every scene hes in. Icecold Christopher Walken looking. Its the eyes!
      Last edited by SuperBeatBoy; 10-05-2010, 16:06.

Comment

Originally posted by rmoxon View Post
        Thats my main gripe with horror films in general over the last 10 years or so though, they rarley do care, the original Nightmare On Elm street was inventive and fun, these days horror films rarley come across that way, I think Jeepers Creepers is actualy the last Horror film that I can think of and say I had alot of fun when I saw it in the cinema and that was made quite a while ago now, the genre is pretty much dead to me.

The horror genre has always changed with different decades. Horror before the 70s was mainly about spooky stories, then it went all slasher, then in the 80s it was mainly comedic tongue in cheek stuff, and then to the last decade where slasher/gritty horror came into vogue.

I always thought the slasher genre was a niche on the whole, with a lot of it being very low budget. Then.. the people who grew up with the whacky 80s horror stuff, decided to embrace the grim, raw side of horror, and pushed that style to the fore.

Some producers obviously have a fondness for the old-school 80s horror franchises, but they don't really work when updated with modern styling. When something was so well done and is still relevant within its genre, I think it's risky, and often pointless to do a remake.

The Nightmare on Elm Street series was great with Robert Englund, and I think it should have been left as a good example of 80s horror. The remake isn't good - it fails in every way.
        Creative people should put their energies into new ideas.

Originally posted by abigsmurf View Post
        Yep.. the ending ruined the film. I was expecting something much more creepy and creative, because it started so well, but I was ultimately underwhelmed by the weak finale.

I think the sequel is actually better on the whole, because it didn't raise any expectations, but simply delivered a few thrills and was done well. Where the hell is the third film? ... I really expected further editions to the franchise.
        Last edited by Leon Retro; 11-05-2010, 00:52.

Comment

Apparently Jeepers Creepers 3 is due out next year though it's taken 5 years from announcement to release which for a horror bodes badly

Comment

Hopefully they kept redoing it to make it even more scary!

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Ahoy! View Post
              The horror genre has always changed with different decades. Horror before the 70s was mainly about spooky stories, then it went all slasher, then in the 80s it was mainly comedic tongue in cheek stuff, and then to the last decade where slasher/gritty horror came into vogue.

I always thought the slasher genre was a niche on the whole, with a lot of it being very low budget. Then.. the people who grew up with the whacky 80s horror stuff, decided to embrace the grim, raw side of horror, and pushed that style to the fore.

Some producers obviously have a fondness for the old-school 80s horror franchises, but they don't really work when updated with modern styling. When something was so well done and is still relevant within its genre, I think it's risky, and often pointless to do a remake.

The Nightmare on Elm Street series was great with Robert Englund, and I think it should have been left as a good example of 80s horror. The remake isn't good - it fails in every way.
              Creative people should put their energies into new ideas.

Yep.. the ending ruined the film. I was expecting something much more creepy and creative, because it started so well, but I was ultimately underwhelmed by the weak finale.

I think the sequel is actually better on the whole, because it didn't raise any expectations, but simply delivered a few thrills and was done well. Where the hell is the third film? ... I really expected further editions to the franchise.
              I loved the original Jeepers creepers, it was inventive, had two likeable leads and had a few awesome set peices and was a whole lot of fun.

The sequel was basicaly the most horrible and annoying bunch of characters I have ever seen sat on a bus whining until they were all killed in increadabley unimaginative and not very fun ways... it was a horrible film that didnt even verge on being anywhere near as exciting as the original. It was a complete dud and an absolubte waste of time.

Thats what I thought anyway.

I'm also not sure how the wacky 80's horror stuff can also be grim or whatever youre on about... I guess you were drunk when you wrote it.
              Last edited by rmoxon; 16-05-2010, 01:07.

Comment

watching these updated horror films.... but the characters (usually victims)....they all just look too good ....like they just got a bunch of models to star in the film..(and usually has one person who is not as good looking as the rest...but as the comic type person)

and there usually is some kind of twist ending which is becoming far to regular a occurence now

Comment

They should make a horror film where regular-looking types are terrorised by good lookers.

Comment

Working...
                  X