No announcement yet.

Christopher Nolan's INCEPTION

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's not so much that, I've no problem with films treating the viewer as intelligent, thats fine, Inception comes across as 'look how clever we are, we are so intelligent we are going to blow your feeble minds' when in reality it's not half as clever or intelligent as it thinks it is. I however still think it's a very decent film.
    Last edited by SuperDanX; 20-12-2010, 17:12. Reason: Feckin iphone

Comment

I can't think of a more intelligent film this year. It's never condescending, it stays away from exposition as much as possible, and requires the audience to pay attention and think about what's going on.

I don't know man, there does seem to be a case that when a film treats it's audience in an intelligent way, a portion of that audience rebel against it. "You're not clever!" I don't know. It's kinda like The Sixth Sense where a portion of people liked nothing better than going around telling us they knew Willis was dead 15 minutes into the film. I'm not knocking anyone here you understand. I'm trying to understand how intelligent films get knocked for being intelligent.

If I watched Inception in a cynical manner, I guess I'd feel the same way. "Go on then, impress me! Pah that's not that clever, for I understand it! You have not impressed me you weakling!" And believe me, I can be very cynical But I try not to be, and with a film like Inception, I try to go along with the flow. However, that requires the filmmakers to sell me their idea, their world, their rules. Inception could of stumbled very easily in less assured hands.

Comment

Why the hell does the word intelligent keep being mentioned? I really enjoyed it but I'm not understand what intelligence has to do with this film. What or who is intelligent? The people who enjoy it? The people who made it?

Comment

Er, because it tells an intelligent story in an intelligent manner? Not your normal artsy thing though John

Comment

I don't think there's anything intelligent about it. As much as I enjoyed it, there's really nothing in that film which hasn't been done in film before. I admire Nolan's ability to concentrate which must have been difficult while producing this but intelligence isn't really a word that springs to mind.

As much as I enjoyed Inception, and I enjoyed it a lot I couldn't help but feel that it was a remake of Last Year at Marienbad which is now fifty years old.

See, I don't even understand what the hell artsy is supposed to mean?
            Last edited by JP; 20-12-2010, 18:50. Reason: Spelling, Doh!

Comment

It's a well crafted film with a smart though plot holed storyline told in a clockwork articulated though emotional empty manner. I'm fine thinking it's one of the years stronger films but this year has been lower on competition (silly 'hollywood never makes good films' arguments aside) and for me it still contains Nolans usual weaknesses and is... well, one of his own weakest films. In short it's a solid 8/10 effort

Comment

Originally posted by cavalcade View Post
                I find it often leaves me disappointed.

Perhaps you could come and show me how you do it?
                Only if you dress all french.

Comment

Originally posted by JP View Post
                  As much as I enjoyed Inception, and I enjoyed it a lot I couldn't help but feel that it was a remake of Last Year at Marienbad which is now fifty years old.

See, I don't even understand what the hell artsy is supposed to mean?

Last Year At Marienbad? Sounds artsy to me

Comment

Got to agree with JP here, Inception was ace, but all that Kermode talk about how hard it makes the audience works is twaddle. It was a just a great, big stupid film and I loved every second of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt View Post

Last Year At Marienbad? Sounds artsy to me
                      It's probably not a good idea to base judgements on your own presumptions, particularly when Inception is based on identicle themes.

Maybe Last Year at Marienbad is artsy, maybe it isn't. Not really sure how that is any more relevant than whether Inception is an intelligent film or not.
                      Last edited by JP; 20-12-2010, 20:34. Reason: Added the quote to give reference to my post

Comment

Easy there tiger, I'm just playing

Comment

I've just bought this on dvd and would love to watch it but i can't and it's completely got me stumped, on the title screen there's 2 options - special features and languages. where's the one to just play the bloody film!!? seriously, been through the other menus, even sat there 5 minutes wondering if it was some elaborate opening sequence, am i mmissing something blindingly obvious?

im playing it on the xbox with a pad for remote btw, no other means atm

Comment

Are there two discs in the case??

Comment

i wish i could delete the last half hour

ill run along now

Comment

LOL. Well, full credit for not deleting your original post

Comment

Working...
                                X