No announcement yet.

Game of Thrones / House of Dragon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's a great story, I think people will enjoy it whatever order (book or series) they experience it. The first episode did feel a little 'off', with some of the lines being delivered somewhat weakly, but it does get better.

Just seen episode 5 and it was one of the best hours of TV I've seen in a while. Even knowing what is about to happen did stop the intrigue or tension.

Comment

Bow! You ****s!

Fantastic episode last night. Really enjoying this.

Comment

Originally posted by Number45 View Post
        Just watched the first episode. It does seem to follow the early plot of the book closely, but personally I'm not sure I'm happy with ANY of the main casting at the moment (maybe Ned, but I find it hard to like Sean Bean). The dialogue is too light, none of it so far has held any sense of gravity in comparison with the books. But I guess that's because you can't get into peoples heads in the same way that you can with a book. I don't feel the malice in Viserys or Cersei at all, and Robert and Ned in particular seem to old to me (saying nothing of the Stark kids, ageing them a little is probably the best course of action).

The moment at the end in particular, which was an incredibly tender moment in the book, wasn't handled well at all.

I would definitely say read the books first, but then I think I'd probably enjoy the TV series a lot more if I hadn't.
        Yeah I kind of feel the same way. The show's good but doesn't quite seem to have the same impact on me, maybe because some of the details are missing and some of the acting isn't quite doing certain characters justice. Sendor Clegane for instance really doesn't seem to exude menace the way he should. I'll be looking out for Tywin Lannister as he's a pivotal character and the part has been given to Charles Dance who ought to do a good job.

I do like the casting of Joer Mormont
        You want to lead one day? Well, learn how to follow.Lord Commander Mormont giving Jon Snow advice on leadership. Jeor Mormont was the 997th Lord Commander of the Night's Watch. Before joining the Night's Watch, he was the head of House Mormont and the Lord of Bear Island. Jeor's son Jorah originally inherited his father's titles, but disgraced himself by selling slaves and fled to the Free Cities. As a result, Jeor's sister Maege took on the family's titles. Years later, Jeor takes Jon Snow, a r

He always seems to play the grizzled old warrior

Comment

Finished the first book and loved it. The latest episode was the best so far, it keeps getting stronger and stronger. Now onto the 2nd book!

Comment

I never once got the impression from the books that the Knight of Flowers or Renly were gay, let alone lovers. I suppose that may have been what GRRM was hinting at with Maergery and her 'maidenhood', but why would he be so coy about that when everything else in the books is so explicit?

I think they might have added it in to give some justification for Renly's future actions?

Comment

Originally posted by Darwock View Post
              I never once got the impression from the books that the Knight of Flowers or Renly were gay, let alone lovers. I suppose that may have been what GRRM was hinting at with Maergery and her 'maidenhood', but why would he be so coy about that when everything else in the books is so explicit?

I think they might have added it in to give some justification for Renly's future actions?
              Yeah I also found that a bit surprising. It's been a good few years since I read the series so I thought I'd forgotten something but I couldn't actually remember them being gay at all. Can't remember what sort of hints there might have been towards that either.

Have they started filming A Clash of Kings yet? I'm looking forward to see some of the other characters turn up like Stannis and Brienne of Tarth.

Comment

The only 'hints' were

the fact Renly never took his wife's virginity (but he didn't really have time eh) and Loras taking his vow of celibacy when he joined the Kingsguard

. They were both supposed to be really young though.. Renly in his early 20s and Loras just 16 or 17?

Anyway, there were certainly no connections between the two in the first book, I don't think they even had a conversation. Definitely altered for the TV show. Meh.

That previous thing about this possibly being done over 10 series - at the time I agreed that was far too ambitious, but I just realised that one series is 10 episodes long. By usual US standards that only equates to about 5 series, which seems far more plausible. It could be done.

He'll have to finish the books first though!

Comment

Originally posted by Darwock View Post
                  That previous thing about this possibly being done over 10 series - at the time I agreed that was far too ambitious, but I just realised that one series is 10 episodes long. By usual US standards that only equates to about 5 series, which seems far more plausible. It could be done.

He'll have to finish the books first though!
                  That will still require it to be on air for 10 years though, how many us tv shows are on that long in this day and age?

They are usualy canceled a long time before then.

Comment

Came here to ask what the hell was up with that Renly scene. And the scene with Viserys in the hot tub?

I can't for the life of me understand the love this is getting, particularly among those that have read the book.

Comment

Originally posted by Number45 View Post
                      Came here to ask what the hell was up with that Renly scene. And the scene with Viserys in the hot tub?

I can't for the life of me understand the love this is getting, particularly among those that have read the book.
                      The scene in the hot tub was there to show him having a softer side, and then to remind us how much of an increadabley short fuse he has.

I havent read the books, but the show is just top quality in every possible way, the acting is fantastic, as is the dialogue and the story is basicaly the definition of intriuging.

Its all quite masterfuly done.

Comment

Number45, I like the fact in the same way LA Noire is refreshing (despite its flaws) because it isn't about space marines this is a serious TV drama that isn't about police or gangsters. Quite a rarity in a big budget show.

A book will usually be more nounced and detailed, thats inevitable, for those without the time to plough through all that content this would appear a nice proxy.

Comment

Originally posted by merf View Post
                          Number45, I like the fact in the same way LA Noire is refreshing (despite its flaws) because it isn't about space marines this is a serious TV drama that isn't about police or gangsters. Quite a rarity in a big budget show.

A book will usually be more nounced and detailed, thats inevitable, for those without the time to plough through all that content this would appear a nice proxy.
                          To be fair, besides the Soprano's and Boardwalk empire I cant think of any other HBO shows that are about gangsters. In fact pretty much all their programes are completely different from one another.

If you look at the shows they have aired over the last year it includes things like True Blood, In Treatment, Big Love, The Paciffic, Treme and a host of comedy shows. In fact have HBO ever ever done another cop show besides the wire?

Anyway, what you do get with the channel is both originality and quality, and Game Of Thrones has those two things in abundance, regardless of how much of the source material it lacks.
                          Last edited by rmoxon; 23-05-2011, 13:06.

Comment

As someone who has read the book, I can't see how anyone would dislike this series. It's pretty much a perfect adaptation.

Comment

Perfect?

The scene where Khal Drogo and Daenerys consummated their marriage vows was made to look like rape. The characters are FAR too old in most cases (the impact of

Robb leading the army and becoming a king

will be drastically reduced). The wolves have been treated with such a lack of importance that they may as well not exist. The scenes I mentioned above with Renly and Tyrell, and Viserys and the... whore(?). They're major points that immediately come to mind (perhaps the first point isn't so major, but it bothered me immensely), if I were to go over the shows with a fine toothed comb I could be here for hours.

The thing I find most irritating though is fact that there are so many scenes in the TV show that flat out COULDN'T exist within the books, as they take place without the direct presence of one of the banner characters.

Comment

I'm glad I didn't read the books so I can enjoy the show without having to notice all kinds of flaws in it, at the moment it's fast becoming one of my favourite things on TV.

Comment

Working...
                                X