Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Number45 View Post
    Perfect?

The scene where Khal Drogo and Daenerys consummated their marriage vows was made to look like rape. The characters are FAR too old in most cases (the impact of *removed* will be drastically reduced). The wolves have been treated with such a lack of importance that they may as well not exist. The scenes I mentioned above with Renly and Tyrell, and Viserys and the... whore(?). They're major points that immediately come to mind (perhaps the first point isn't so major, but it bothered me immensely), if I were to go over the shows with a fine toothed comb I could be here for hours.

The thing I find most irritating though is fact that there are so many scenes in the TV show that flat out COULDN'T exist within the books, as they take place without the direct presence of one of the banner characters.
    It isn't a page for page translation from book to screen and it shouldn't be either. You have to make changes in an adapation to make the most of the medium and that's what they've done, successfully, here.

Ok it isn't perfect, if I were to fault it then I'd say the scale isn't convayed particularly well, but otherwise it is absolutely as good as it gets as far as I'm concerned.

You might want to remove that spoiler too as it is a pretty big one.

Comment

Originally posted by rmoxon View Post
      That will still require it to be on air for 10 years though, how many us tv shows are on that long in this day and age?

They are usualy canceled a long time before then.
      I worked on GOT for 6 months (post-production) and there was talk of 11 seasons and two features. Season two went into pre-production last week.

HBO always give their shows at least two seasons to prove itself financially viable. Having worked for them, they are very financially astute but they're also big into quality - how their shows are rated in press reviews is also a big influence on whether a show continues or not.

With such a big fan base already built in, it'll be hard to see this not go the distance. We shall see!
      Last edited by Howiee; 24-05-2011, 07:57.

Comment

Originally posted by Howiee View Post
        I worked on GOT for 6 months (post-production)
        You did? Cool! I think the audio post production was done where I do my audio post, just a few doors down from where I'm typing this in Dublin.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
          You did? Cool! I think the audio post production was done where I do my audio post, just a few doors down from where I'm typing this in Dublin.
          Screen Scene, Upper Mount Street?

Comment

That's right!

Comment

It's a small world! From July - Dec last year, I spent 3-4 days a week in that place!

If I had known you were about, we could've had a bite to eat in that really average sandwich bar at the bottom of the steps.

Comment

Gah! That would have been cool. I'm just on the crescent, a few doors up. In fact, I was in and out of Screen Scene all the time during that period so we may well have passed each other a few times. Let me know if you're ever around there again and we'll have some really average sandwiches.

Comment

Absolutely I will. There's every chance I could be doing the same for season 2, although I have put in for a different position.

If you can recall someone sitting outside number 41 in a little silver Hyundai i20, desperately trying to avoid paying the exorbitant on-street parking fees, that was me.

Do you work in TV yourself? If you don't mind me asking.

Comment

Yep, I do. I'll take it to PM though, as we'll totally derail the Game Of Thrones thread!

Comment

Originally posted by Sane View Post
                      I'm glad I didn't read the books so I can enjoy the show without having to notice all kinds of flaws in it, at the moment it's fast becoming one of my favourite things on TV.
                      I'd enjoy a lot more if I hadn't read the books but I'm still really liking it anyway and cause I know what's gonna happen my anticipation is far greater. The most interesting events are still to come, and I'm looking forward to see a visualization of the many characters I know from the books.

Comment

Just caught up with this weeks ep and its the best yet, story moving at pace and you know its heading with purpose as the books are already written

Really getting into this and cant wait for next one now.

Comment

Really been loving this and have tried to limit my reading of the first book... Unfortunately as the tv series has gone on I've found it harder and harder to stop myself reading! This may sound like a good thing but what's been pushing me to read on is that I suspect certain things are going to happen (which I think will be detrimental to the story) and to be frank I'd rather know in advance!

Knowing some stuff now, I'll not say any spoilers but frankly I'm not sure if I'm going to stick the whole series of books out if this first one is anything to go by. Which will be a massive shame as well, okay one spoiler!

the author creates such great characters, which you want to invest time in, yet then happliy throws them away. And from what I hear this happens a lot in the rest of the books!

Someone convince me, in a non spoilerish way that the other books are worth a read!

Comment

How many episodes is this? I read somewhere its 9. Which means the last episode is the end of this week, I'm hoping its a 2hr episode, I don't think they could wrap it up nicely without making the episode longer.

Comment

10 afaik

Comment

Originally posted by gizmo1990 View Post
                                Really been loving this and have tried to limit my reading of the first book... Unfortunately as the tv series has gone on I've found it harder and harder to stop myself reading! This may sound like a good thing but what's been pushing me to read on is that I suspect certain things are going to happen (which I think will be detrimental to the story) and to be frank I'd rather know in advance!

Knowing some stuff now, I'll not say any spoilers but frankly I'm not sure if I'm going to stick the whole series of books out if this first one is anything to go by. Which will be a massive shame as well, okay one spoiler!

the author creates such great characters, which you want to invest time in, yet then happliy throws them away. And from what I hear this happens a lot in the rest of the books!

Someone convince me, in a non spoilerish way that the other books are worth a read!
                                I actually like that since it makes it more unpredictable and you don't feel complacement about characters where you would in most other stories. Imo it makes it more gripping and keeps you on edge. That sort of thing does happen in the other books but they are excellent.

Comment

Working...
                                X