No announcement yet.

Game of Thrones / House of Dragon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the posts fellas. I'm coming at this knowing nothing about the books, not even their existence until the show started. So any criticisms I make are from a "TV" point of view. I think a few things could of been handled differently, I'm not saying major plot or character deviations.

Losing the battle scenes was a cop out, and I get the impression it took away from what should be a more epic world. But there you go

If only I was a big reader I'd be devouring the books right now, but I just don't have time

Comment

Hey Chain, you should film them, then we can use some swanky editing software to tag them onto the dvd releases.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt View Post
        Thanks for the posts fellas. I'm coming at this knowing nothing about the books, not even their existence until the show started. So any criticisms I make are from a "TV" point of view. I think a few things could of been handled differently, I'm not saying major plot or character deviations.

Losing the battle scenes was a cop out, and I get the impression it took away from what should be a more epic world. But there you go

If only I was a big reader I'd be devouring the books right now, but I just don't have time
        I think Game of Thrones really is a show where you have to go into it with the mindset that anything can happen and then you can enjoy it, Im not calling your tastes "mainstream" or anything but its not a mainstream show really, It isnt afraid to focus on the greater story but as a result its never going to be constantly crowd pleasing.

Personaly I love all that, I think its great, the sombre tone and somewhat soap opera like lack of focus actualy give you a broarder view of the story and when the really awesome moments do occur (and to be fair there are usualy one or two in an episode) then you are virtually jumping out of your chair cheering (well i am anyway).

I dont really get that level of excitment from many Tv shows.
        Last edited by rmoxon; 21-06-2011, 19:06.

Comment

Agreed. I've not read the books sadly (Im going to do this in reverse, watch the TV series then read the books...) - however I've been absolutely enthralled by this. It’s horrible to watch, i hate it at times - but that shows just how damn good it is. I hate it because I love these characters – I really do care - and I don’t want bad things to happen to them - but they get hurt and get hurt often. I love how I cannot predict the outcomes nor am allowed to feel safe, i hate and i love that feeling.

I also really like how supernatural material is perceived as mostly myth and legend with only subtle hints, well, until the later episodes of course. I think it’s great how there is this superficial real world, kings and queens, lords and houses… all fighting for power, all wanting gold, drink and women… All thinking egotistically, yet ironically there is a much greater evil that threatens them all. Reminds me of Mass Effect :-)

Ultimately, I am in love with this show, the misses on the other hand hates it. She loves CSI and the usual TV programmes… but she cannot stomach this. As many have said, she needs that face, that anchor, that sense of security… and it disappoints the hell out of me.
          ----Member since April 2002

http://www.redbubble.com/people/adamstone

Comment

Eddard was never gonna be able to survive in King's Landing with his principles and sense of honour. I think a point is being made there. He was warned multiple times by those with a better sense of things but refused to listen.
            Last edited by Shoju; 21-06-2011, 21:32.

Comment

Absolutely

Season 2 cannot come soon enough

Comment

Originally posted by prinnysquad View Post
                Hey Chain, you should film them, then we can use some swanky editing software to tag them onto the dvd releases.
                I suspect my budget for Big Action Sequence Number 1 may be slightly less than they spent on the Tyrian Gets Knocked Out Instead Of Fighting shot, lol

Could take a load of clips from Lord Of The Rings and throw them in there.... lol

Comment

Originally posted by Shoju View Post
                  Eddard was never gonna be able to survive in King's Landing with his principles and sense of honour. I think a point is being made there. He was warned multiple times by those with a better sense of things but refused to listen.
                  Well said, totally agree with that. Still died a man of honour.

Comment

Any idea when the DVD\BluRay is out?

Oh, and...just because.

Comment

Comment

Big lol. Love the long pauses every time he thinks about the main event.

"George R R Martin, you are a sick, cruel, twisted individual ... and may God have mercy on your soul........ I blame YOU"

Comment

I think i am actually in love with that man. Sean Bean, what a man. But the idea of his cock in my arse makes me feel sick, and reverse... but love grows deeper* then that surely.

*haha, pun not intended.

Season 2 and beyond wont be the same without him

Comment

I just watched all 10 episodes over 3 days (which is VERY unusual for me) and it's easily the best thing I have seen on TV for years. I got drawn into the whole world, and think the characters are all very interesting and well fleshed out for a TV series (especially one that chooses a 'slimline' 10 episodes over the usual bloated 20 odd you get nowadays in a 'season').

I had avoided any information about the series at all and didn't even realise it was based on a book till I started watching it, but I ordered the first book this morning and provided I enjoy it as much as the series, I'm going to invest in all the others.

Comment

Originally posted by Skull Commander View Post
                              I just watched all 10 episodes over 3 days (which is VERY unusual for me) and it's easily the best thing I have seen on TV for years. I got drawn into the whole world, and think the characters are all very interesting and well fleshed out for a TV series (especially one that chooses a 'slimline' 10 episodes over the usual bloated 20 odd you get nowadays in a 'season').

I had avoided any information about the series at all and didn't even realise it was based on a book till I started watching it, but I ordered the first book this morning and provided I enjoy it as much as the series, I'm going to invest in all the others.
                              Its 10 episodes becuase its a cable TV show, not a network TV show, the most episodes the average Cable show has is usualy about 13. But plenty of HBO shows have 10 epidsodes a season, so its actualy a relativley normal length really.
                              Last edited by rmoxon; 28-06-2011, 13:11.

Comment

I deliberately stopped watching this show after two episodes. I did that because I don't handle 'waits' well. The week between episodes is torture, and I hate the loss of momentum. It's what I always do with a meta-narrative series - I've never watched 24 on tv, only on dvd.

So, I started watching this from scratch on Thursday and finished today. It's excellent.

I'll get this out of the way straight away - I'm a huge fan of the books. But - I haven't read Feast of Crows yet, or the recent one, because I fear reaching a cliffhanger and having to wait for Martin to finish. Simply knowing that there's more books to read, I can cope with. It's an odd approach, I know, but I stopped reading after the third book. I know that, should I choose, I can go straight into Feast Of Crows, or go back a book and re-read it. Psychologically, I find that more relaxing than a huge wait that Martin insists on thrusting on his readers. Hopefully, now that the HBO series is in swing, he won't arse around with the last two books.

In many ways, though, I wish I hadn't read any of these books before I watched this series in full. That's because, for a tv series, the programme is so rich, and shocking, that I'd liked to have watched what happens for the first time. I missed that shock and awe, because I knew what happened. I can sort-of understand why so many people are so upset at the Ned thing, including the bloke in that hilarious video. Although I would argue that the tv series (like the book) isn't built around him, and his ethics and values are easy prey for the scum in this fictional world, I can see why an audience would attach itself to the honourable Stark, and be horrified by what happened.

But he's not the crutch of the series. Tyrion is brilliantly portrayed, and the other main characters more than flesh out the direction of the narrative.

As I say, in some respects I'd much rather have read the books after the series, because they add detail and depth to some of the scanter references from the show. Although, if I had watched the tv series first, I'd attribute the actors to the characters too much. I'd find it difficult to picture Tyrion, while reading, without hearing Dinklage's voice. Bit of a double-edged sword, that.

As for the show, though, I enjoyed it immensely. The production values were tremendous, it brought Westeros, and the other lands, to life. Some battles were missed out (iirc - I read the book back in 2005) but I can forgive that, when the world is so beautifully realised. The cast were a mixed bag, and the dialogue toned down from the books, but that's fine. I'm quite surprsied by my reaction to this series - often I'm a stickler for a faithful adaptation, and stick the boot in over any discrepancy (From Hell is a heinous crime, compared to the book, for example), but the care and respect for the source material is more than evident here. It's not perfect, but I couldn't give a toss. It's an interpretation of the books - my imagination fills in the blanks. As far as presenting the meat and potatoes of the book goes, it's a triumph.

This is difficult viewing and likeable characters are few and far between - any men with honour are punished at the hand of Martin's pen. yet I cannot take my eyes off the screen, much as I couldn't take my eyes off the page. Compelling stuff.

I hate Joffrey almost as much as I did when reading the books. Fair play!

Comment

Working...
                                X