No announcement yet.

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Second viewing done, watching it without being so aware of every moment made it flow better. Same thoughts stand but still enjoyed it a lot

Comment

You're both neither convincing me to, or not, to watch this. That's as good as I could've hoped for, just somewhere in the middle.

Comment

I'm out, for the cinema viewing anyway, after seeing the first 4 at the cinema won't be the same but after watching the critical drinkers review I'm inclined to wait till it's on Disney plus.

Comment

Critical Drinker absolutely despised it. He's usually pretty negative to Disney films anyway (Who can blame him), but man alive he hated it.
          I think it'll be one I watch at home while I browse my phone.

Comment

Originally posted by beecee View Post
            I'm out, for the cinema viewing anyway, after seeing the first 4 at the cinema won't be the same but after watching the critical drinkers review I'm inclined to wait till it's on Disney plus.
            Christ, The Critical Drinker review is absolutely brutal. xD

Sorry, didn’t see the CS post above. Indeed, it sounds about right for your typical Disney production.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
              You're both neither convincing me to, or not, to watch this. That's as good as I could've hoped for, just somewhere in the middle.
              It’s definitely a film.

Comment

As soon as the words Critical Drinker were uttered I knew what the review would be like Raging sexist misrepresents the female role, no shock that the only part he likes is the bit with no female character in it or old age. The film isn't perfect but by god, the misrepresentation of characters and sequences. It's a sad state that social media and youtube have left film reviewing in.

Comment

A quick glimpse at the comment section shows exactly the audience he’s aiming at. Misogynists and fragile threatened manbabies with only the disappointment in their lives to make them feel something. It’s a good market.

Comment

Part of me wants to go and have a look, but the other part of me remembers the rage I felt at all the comments about The Last Of Us 2.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                      A quick glimpse at the comment section shows exactly the audience he’s aiming at. Misogynists and fragile threatened manbabies with only the disappointment in their lives to make them feel something. It’s a good market.
                      Or, like, maybe the people who are tired (yet not surprised) at Disney driving absolutely everything into the dirt face first.

It’s not just Disney either. Look at the absolute parody the Jurassic Park franchise has become. The less said about The Terminator the better.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
                        Or, like, maybe the people who are tired (yet not surprised) at Disney driving absolutely everything into the dirt face first.
                        A massive number of the comments are specifically about women, Dave. Just women. Unless by “driving everything into the dirt” you mean putting women in movies. In which case, you’re the target audience for his videos.

Edit: just as a little aside, what also becomes very clear is that few have any idea how these processes actually work. The hate thrown at Kathleen Kennedy (woman) for what seems to be described as shoving strong women characters down fragile men’s throats lands a little differently when it was pretty much the only criticism of Visions season 2 and I can tell you that, in that case, nine different filmmakers completely independently from each other decided their stories needed women main characters. Nobody pushed it. Nobody dictated it. Independent filmmakers wanted it. And in part because if even every single movie released for the next 20 years starred a women at the core, it still would only be beginning to adjust the balance across the history of cinema.

Anywayyyyyyy… the fear of manbabies of the new Indy is unwarranted.
                        Last edited by Dogg Thang; 01-07-2023, 08:54.

Comment

I've lost count already how many times Waller-Bridge has been called out for feministically rewriting movie scripts even though she only has one major movie credited to her name - No Time To Die, which was hardly a female showcase effort

Comment

Its boils down to the nuance. If someone is bashing the film because it has women in or specifically hating them without any reason or backup, then yeah that's just bull****. But if the characters themselves are annoying and you dislike them, then it doesn't matter if they are male of female, they are just bad characters.

Terminator dark fate was a **** film. It wasn't **** because it had women, is was **** because it was ****. Ghostbusters was a **** film. I'm allowed to say it's ****, it's not because I'm a woman hater.
                            I haven't seen Indy, but if Fleebag is anything to go by, I probably won't like her character. Nothing to do with it being a woman. In the same vain, if Indy is an annoying old guy in it, I won't like him either. Nothing to do with him being a man.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
                              Its boils down to the nuance. If someone is bashing the film because it has women in or specifically hating them without any reason or backup, then yeah that's just bull****. But if the characters themselves are annoying and you dislike them, then it doesn't matter if they are male of female, they are just bad characters.
                              Well firstly, I guess the comments section of YouTube is not the place for nuance. But you’re right and I agree with your point… except when you start to notice that, for some sections of the male audience, all the characters they find annoying and dislike happen to be women. When you see that pattern, it becomes a little less nuanced. That’s not everyone, of course, and it’s not every film. But it’s a real pattern.

Really the comments section of that guy’s videos speaks for itself. There’s no real defending it or saying it’s about anything other than what it is.

Comment

It's definitely a thing. I think there a men (and women) that just don't like female character for no other reason.
                                On the flip side, everyone can see what Disney are doing. It's not exactly subtle. Being annoyed by it, doesn't immediately mean you are a misogynist. It's a delicate subject to broach. I actually don't hate Captain Marvel for example. But I didn't like She Hulk. Doesn't mean I hate the actress, I just didn't like that over the course of a couple of episodes she was in the same place mentally and physically as Hulk, even though it took him years and many films to gradually get to that point. I would have liked a longer journey for her.
                                We just have to be careful we don't fall into a trap of being afraid to criticise something.

Comment

Working...
                                X