Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
    But I didn't like She Hulk. Doesn't mean I hate the actress, I just didn't like that over the course of a couple of episodes she was in the same place mentally and physically as Hulk, even though it took him years and many films to gradually get to that point. I would have liked a longer journey for her.
    And yet when this comes up, you can see overall in the wider internet is that this criticism is specifically tied into her being a woman. Same with Rey in Star Wars (see also lack of same issue with Grogu, for example). It’s not about the detail of it, it’s about “she came across as being better than a previous male character”. It’s about a threat to the masculine ego, not some storytelling canon detail even though it’s so often framed that way. And this really can’t be denied - it’s essentially what led to the end of the IMBD boards. Bottom line is that She-Hulk isn’t the Hulk and never was, all the way back in the comics. Her journey was different. Her abilities are not the same. Never were. But it’s not about the material. It’s about her being a woman, plain and simple.

Is that misogyny? Maybe. Maybe not. Depends on how far you’re going with it. Is it sexism and a fragile male ego? I’d say so.

Comment

Yep, and it becomes clear that it's targeting in intention pretty quickly. It's become a common issue for a while now but it's becoming worse quickly and isn't restricted to womens roles in films. The Flash has been a good example, loads of people who have used its box office struggles as confirmation of the biased views they already had of it before release, hell, that's common with DCU films full stop. Endless spouting about how it's a badly made film when it's plainly not, they just can't admit the reasons they're against it openly. The real giveaway is the open lying about story events, character arcs etc.

If Harrison Ford was 30 years younger and Bridge's character crumbled into is arms and bed halfway through the film I'd wager that's all the change to the film many anti-Dial viewers would need to change their stance, just like how they're A-OK with the racism and 500 Willie screams as characterisation in Temple of Doom.

The bias is obvious also in the anti-Disney hatred too. The constant make out that Disney is scorched Earthing franchises which is uch blatant revisionist bull****. It's fine not to like the recent stuff but it's amazing how many Prequels, Skull etc revisionists have come out of the woodwork just because a glittery castle appears at the head of the films now.

Comment

Yep, exactly all that.

And to take it back on topic, the big thing here is that, whether you like the new Indy or not, the pre-emotive criticisms of Bridge are entirely unwarranted and unjustified. Go hate it for other reasons if you like.

Comment

True. But if it wasnt she hulk, and was 'Hulk Jr' and they had the same character arch, I'd still think it was cheap and lazy and needed fleshing out. If people can accurately explain why they dislike a character, I think it's valid, that's opinion at the end of the day.
          If its just 'Oh look another strong powerful woman!' with no back up, then they need to think about why they don't like them. It boils down to the *reason* we dislike them.

On a flip side, my wife hates matthew broderick. Doesn't like his films, or the characters he plays. She says he's always smug in films. That doesn't mean she hates all male characters.

Comment

On a flip side, my wife hates matthew broderick. Doesn't like his films, or the characters he plays. She says he's always smug in films. That doesn't mean she hates all male characters.
            True. And yet if she did happen to have issue with pretty much every male character but dressed it up differently for each one, it would be what it is. Especially if it came pre-emptively tagging gender without her even knowing the material.

The cynic in me says the opening 25 mins are pure fan service. After that the film plummets hard into 'A movie for modern audiences' with Ford being the old fool and the Young plucky woman taking the lead.
            Sometimes we just want our opinion of the details to back up our own biases, I guess.

Anyway, for me, I enjoyed Indy. Yep, I have criticisms but I felt it was a hell of a lot better than Crystal Skull. I’m glad I saw it.

Comment

That's fair enough, it would be fine for someone to say they can't get on with Dial because they can't get on with Waller Bridge. But it wouldn't mean Dial was a bad film in the same way disliking Broderick doesn't make The Lion King awful. It tips over though when they start inventing stuff to back up their hatred, like her character being an Indy like heroine aiming to outdo him at every turn. Her character isn't pitched that way at all.

Comment

My opinion still stands.
                I think the first 20 minutes appear to be fan service. Indy appears to be the old washed up fool. And the young plucky woman is taking the lead. Nothing I'm saying here is misogynistic. Just what I'm getting from the trailers.

If I said 'Looks like She's going to be belittling Indy all the time and being a diva because she's a woman!' then yeah that's not based on anything.

Comment

I thought the movie was excellent. As people have said, it's way above Crystal Skulls but not as good as Last Crusade. I would say it is better than Temple of Doom in many respects.
                  The only thing I wasn't keen on is the kid. Didn't need him but I guess if I saw Temple of Doom now, I'd say the same thing about short round.

Anyway, here's a present. The Japanese poster that we all received upon entering the cinema.

Comment

That’s a beautiful poster!

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                      That’s a beautiful poster!
                      Isn't it! It just screams old school movie poster.
                      I've seen this image used on the Thai version of the promo poster as well. Their logo is in English though with Thai under it.

Comment

That is a great freebie. I love the artwork.

Comment

I don’t have any facts, but I’d bet a hundred quid that the artist is Tony Stella.

Comment

Originally posted by prinnysquad View Post
                            I don’t have any facts, but I’d bet a hundred quid that the artist is Tony Stella.
                            You are correct.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                              You are correct.
                              Excellent artist. He’s produced a lot of Kung fu blu ray covers recently, including the Arrow red cover for the Bruce Lee set.

Comment

Yes, his work is amazing.

Comment

Working...
                                X