Star Wars Episode 7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Darwock View Post
    I'm going back tomorrow, didn't think that would happen.

I went 2D the first time, so I want to catch it in 3D now I can concern myself with the spectacle and not so much the story.
    We were going to go 2D last night until we realised the 2D showing was a smaller screen. The 3D version seems to get the best showings here but, having now seen it twice in 3D, I'd be happy to see it in 2D.

Comment

...on the train home now.

I have fully accepted this movie as real Star Wars. The minor irritations didn't bother me this time. It hit emotional levels on repeat viewing I didn't get to the first time.

The 3D is impressive but as always when combined with giant floaty Japanese subtitles all over the screen it's probably more distracting than anything else.

Comment

A day after his critique of “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” and Disney’s acquisition of the franchise he created, George Lucas rolled back on a quip he made comparing Disney to “white slavers” during a lengthy interview with CBS newsman Charlie Rose. In the lengthy interview, Lucas expressed ambivalence about the fate of his space […]

Lucas tries to take back his comments. Too late Lucas, too late.

Comment

"In the lengthy interview, Lucas expressed ambivalence about the fate of his space epic and revealed he wasn't a fan of the approach the studio wanted to go with the franchise saying "They wanted to do a retro movie. I don’t like that... every movie, I worked very hard to make them different."

But hes right? Its basically just a rehash of all his work, with very little new ideas

Comment

Who cares? It's better than whatever he would've conjured up anyway.

Episode 3 was just pure green screen. It felt like early CD adventure games.

On a side note: is there a chance Disney could release the original trilogy without the CGI additions or has that ship sailed? I'm aware of the fan-made laserdisc-based one available online. Mind you, I have no problem with the additions beyond eye-rolling.

Comment

And yet it's a good movie, something he failed to achieve with the prequels. That's what counts. Also, he was heavily involved with Return of the Jedi which also repeated the Death Star thing and did essentially the same thing with a droid control ship in Phantom Menace only atrociously so, as valid as the retro thing might be, it's what people wanted and he didn't work as hard to make them different as he says he did.

[MENTION=2625]randombs[/MENTION] I reckon we'll see the original original trilogy from Disney at some point. Depends on the cost of restoration. Lucas always said the originals don't exist any more but he is a compulsive liar so who knows.
              Last edited by Dogg Thang; 01-01-2016, 15:06.

Comment

Originally posted by randombs View Post
                Who cares? It's better than whatever he would've conjured up anyway.
                I think a lot of star wars fans care. I really expected a new movie rather than something that just copied previous versions. Considering the back story they had to play with (and the cash), they were obviously afraid to take any risks. They ripped off so much stuff already done, its insane. FYI, Lucas did conjure up the ending (as well as most of the movie) alright; its pretty much a poorer version (almost scene for scene) of ROTJ. Me and my mate left the cinema gobsmaked how they could get away with the similarities, hit the beer tent and cried into our steins. A real wasted opportunity. Roll on the next one, so we can see the ESB remade......

Comment

It's a better film than Jedi.

Edit: Expanding - in my opinion in most areas of the movie.
                  Last edited by Dogg Thang; 01-01-2016, 18:06.

Comment

Originally posted by dvdx2 View Post
                    I think a lot of star wars fans care. I really expected a new movie rather than something that just copied previous versions... A real wasted opportunity.
                    Perhaps. Or maybe it was easier to do it this way and then appease the fans later via the cinematic universe spin off films they've been planning.

Comment

I think Lucas gets a bad rap for the prequel trilogy to be honest, and people in general can shoot me down all they want, but there really not that bad. It seems to be a cool internet thing these days to slag off and call them complete garbage, but there really not.

They explain the fall of the republic and rise of the empire in a clear manner, show you exactly how palpatine managed to manipulate an entire galaxy while turning Annakin all the while, along with showing you some cool space battles and some awesome light sabre scenes. It's entertainment, nothing more.

People take Star Wars way too seriously.

On another note, what on earth was Lucas thinking making that comment. Seriously, was he high or something?

Comment

I'm totally with the cool Internet kids. The prequels are rubbish. Their existence makes the good Star Wars worse and their influence has ruined and broken a great many things. They gave us great soundtracks, some lovely design and a couple of cool moments. They also gave us a whole lot of unrealised potential. But mostly they are dry, soulless, boring, nonsensical wooden movies that revolve around turning Darth Vader from a badass into one of the worst characters in Star Wars.

Comment

While the prequels are terrible as films they introduced very cool things to the Star Wars universe that I enjoy very much.

People take Star Wars way too seriously.

Very true but this can be said for any pop culture IP that has been deified by its fans.
                          Last edited by danholo; 03-01-2016, 10:55.

Comment

I'm another who liked the originals

Jar jar is the worst character ever created but a necessary evil for the story to progress and midiclorianes (spelling) was a complete mess but loved the pod race and the entire end of the movie (space battle and Jedi battle)

The second movie again I enjoyed for a number of reasons, I thought Christopher lee and Sam Jackson crushed it plus loads of good battles and Jedi fights

Third movie started great, went a bit soft in the middle but finished strong for me so for anyone to say they were all terrible is just wearing Star Wars tinted glasses, sure they aren't as strong as the original 3 but still decent enough viewing

Just bought myself an unlimited cineworld card so intend on seeing force awakens again if they are showing it in d-box

Comment

The Star Wars tinted glasses thing doesn't hold up any more because the new movie couldn't have competed with the originals either. And yet it has. So you can like the prequels but attempts to invalidate the views of those who hate them don't really ring true.

The reality is likely the exact opposite - the Star Wars name and the memory of the originals are probably the only things that stopped those movies from crashing and burning badly.

Comment

Yeah, I see them more as a universe builder than anything. Getting to see Coruscant is always a treat.

The second movie again I enjoyed for a number of reasons, I thought Christopher lee and Sam Jackson crushed it plus loads of good battles and Jedi fights

Those lightsaber battles, especially at the end of Attack of the Clones, really don't hold up well at all. I enjoy the Yoda fight contrary to public opinion.

Comment

Working...
                                X