Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Films Have You Watched This Week - The Sequel.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah the harpooned skinny dipper is Part 3, although he was walking along the jetty I think.

Comment

Crammed in the Mechagodzilla follow up which I rcognised from the C4 season. Also, as my 90s ones didn't work, Godzilla 2000 which I was enjoying till the alien ship arrived. Seriously, Godzilla and aliens should never co-exist. Just got 2 left now, the follow to 2000 (I think), Against MechaGodzilla and Final Wars

Comment

aliens and Godzilla should never co-exist? Whilst I agree its not right for the recent reboots, the toho stuff was quite fun and we wouldn't have got final wars without aliens!

Comment

I struggle with it everytime, for me it takes the series and makes it over hokey like Power Rangers. Im halfway through '02 MechaG which is alright, Toho certainly let the effects side slide though so I can see why the franchise began to struggle

Comment

I love Invasion of the Astro Monster. Aliens, King Ghidorah, what a blast!

Comment

I prefer it when Mechagodzilla is being controlled by aliens.

Monkey-faced planet conquering bar stewards!

Comment

Friday the 13th Part V: A New Beginning
                There's loads of chatter about the MPA in the extras but even if this hadn't have been the least gory Friday film so far, it would still have been the weakest. The set up just doesn't gel and Tommy is so poorly handled. The Jason trick also doesn't hold up due to heavy handed direction. Bra's are still outlawed though

Comment

New Beginning is easily one of the weaker ones (2nd worst on my list). It lost a lot of what worked while not actually being different enough to be interesting. It came across as dull, dark and miserable. Then the ending was a let down - who?

Be interested to see what you make of the next one.

I'm Jason Xing it tonight.

Comment

Jason X is an interesting one, I read up and there's oddly an actual proper timeline to all these films. The only exception is Jason X as the 2009 restart film isn't technically a remake and includes nods to previous entries all whilst being set after X's intro meaning that fans have to choose which is the their canonical Friday the 13th Part X. Given more films are coming and the direction, though fun, Jason X goes I'm more inclined to class it as a spinoff and stick with the restart as the tenth entry.

Comment

The 2009 one isn't part of the same continuity. It's not a remake of the first movie but it also can't be taken as any sort of sequel due to the dates being revised and basically retelling events that took place in the first three movies. Which is kind of a shame because it is soooo close to just being a modern day sequel and just by being a bit more vague on a few things it could have served as both a sequel and a reboot depending on how you wanted to take it.

Even being set in space though, Jason X is not the odd one out that should be discarded. That honour belongs to Jason Goes To Hell.

Oh and if you booted Jason X, the tenth entry would then be FvJ which is considered a Friday film for some reason. Always seemed much more of a Nightmare movie to me.

Seems the new one won't continue on from the 2009 film. It has now been delayed to late next year. Given that it's Friday 13, I really hope they do something special with it but early reports of ideas are not positive.
                      Last edited by Dogg Thang; 31-05-2014, 18:40.

Comment

Well I loved Jason X. A really fun movie that has plenty of action and some great moments. The ice face is awesome, possibly one of the highlights of the entire series in terms of effects and inventiveness. Probably helps that it followed a movie that would make any movie look amazing but I think it's a very strong entry in the series.

The only real negative for me is that I don't like Jason's look in it. The mask is oddly shaped, giving it a gorilla look and Kane Hodder is way too visible in it. The fuzzy hair is odd too. I don't mind Jason having hair (it comes and goes) but the stringy patchy hair is better.

I'm also watching Crystal Lake Memories so watched the Jason X segment after the movie. Being buried for so long would not have helped the movie at all, although it's weird hearing them acknowledge that the movie wasn't as good as it could be when they weren't quite so apologetic for the train wreck that preceded it. Reminded me of Never Sleep Again where I expected the Freddy's Dead segment to just be Rachel Tallalay grovelling for our forgiveness and yet they barely mentioned how it's one of the worst films ever made.

Freddy vs Jason next.

Comment

Been a while since I saw the 09 version, didn't remember them giving dates. Just remember the mask damage and wheelchair from 3 so assumed it followed on. Shame like you say. The next one does sound like it's just being thrown out for the sake.

Today's viewing:

Maleficent
                          Was alright, better than its similar style retellings but nothing special. Imagine it'll be forgotten in time as it undoes quite a lot of the characters appeal in the end.

Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives
                          Better than the fifth film, the deaths are quite good too but the characters are that bit more annoying. Interesting that nudity is out this time.

Comment

I loved Part 6. That one was tons of fun for me. Just the right side of goofy, not quite crossing the line but a lot more light-hearted than 5 while bringing back Jason at his best.

Comment

Just watched Edge of Tomorrow. Really cool! My favourite film this year.

Comment

Finally got round to seeing World End, wish I hadn't bothered. Very disappointing.

Comment

Working...
                                X