Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Films Have You Watched This Week - The Sequel.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DavidH View Post
    Watched Wolf of Wall Street last night, really enjoyed it, bit long though, could have been half an hour shorter.
    Lovely female lead, which always helps.
    Yea, saw this last night. We both thought it was overly long too. However it was much stronger in the second half of the film. Particularly some of the acting from Dicaprio which really stood out.

I know it's a slightly stupid thing to say but the re-use of some of the techniques from Goodfella's made me think of that film throughout.

Comment

Kick Ass 2 - I recall some controversy about this being really violent, I thought it was very tame - perhaps Sky did some extra censoring? Anywho, I thought it was great, I enjoyed it as much as the original. Absolutely loved the female Zangief - awesome stuff

Comment

I'm watching the 2009 Friday the 13th and, Superman Falls, I was completely wrong about the dates not reconciling with the originals. You were right - this can be taken as a reboot, kind of a remake or a sequel to the early movies.

Comment

Cool We've got Jason X next and I'd much rather consider than the spin-off and have '09 as the sequel. X is crazy and I'm trying to prep my mind for ninja fembot action lol

Comment

I watched X about a week ago and still enjoyed it immensely. It has the best kill too in my opinion. But yeah it's kind of crazy and not really much of a sequel. Although really I think continuity just falls apart after 6 or 7. 9 with its

old Voorhees house, Jason's sister and godawful body hopping

just throws everything out. Shouldn't be considered in the same continuity as the first four movies.

They kind of get like the last Godzilla era where they're all in their own continuity but still sequels to the early movies. And the 2009 one does a better version of that than most.

Comment

The Lego Movie - Aces

The Worlds End.. Now then. I went into this one a bit dubious as I liked Shaun of the Dead, 'sort of' liked Hot Fuzz and absolutely love Spaced.

All in all I thought it was good - not great. Some very funny gags here and there but the

conversation/argument with 'The Network'

just seemed a crappy way to end it. I'm firmly on the fence methinks.

I think I'm still waiting for Edgar Wright to take me back to the days of Spaced. Sad that it will never happen.

Comment

Anchorman 2. There were a few laffs but generally by god what a tragically awful movie.

Comment

I saw 3 Days To Kill and it was a bit pants. It looked like Taken, starring Kevin Costner, directed by McG and written by Luc Besson, so it could've been pretty good.

It just ends up being a mish-mash of action and family drama, flitting between the two unsatisfactorily until it's all tied up at the end with a remarkable coincidence.

in a post-"The Raid" world, you have to up your game in the action stakes and although there are a fair few action sequences, none of them are particularly exciting. You might love or loathe McG, but he's done some good action in his time, so it was a shame this felt so pedestrian.

It's not awful, but I wouldn't suggest running out to see it.

Comment

The Counselor- excellent cast, and while some of the expected good performances are just that, they aren't helped by an indulgent wank fest of a script. Looks great and while the story isn't as confusing as some have said, the darker characters lack motivation for their actions for the story to make good sense. Crap.

Comment

I finally saw The Cabin in the Woods and really enjoyed it.

Although I liked how they played with horror movie conventions and I really wanted to know how the two story threads linked to each other, I think I liked it because I'm a sucker for

a secret underground base

!

I really shouldn't over-think it, but I ended up wondering

how they got all the monsters into their cubes, Why the cubes moved and did they need to feed some of them

?

I loved the stoner character, Marty. He easily had the best lines:
                      "He has a husband bulge."
                      "I dismembered that guy with a trowel... What have you been up to?"
                      "Good work, zombie arm!"

Comment

Catching up with stuff not reported on ...

Edge of Tomorrow

Complete rubbish .... .... Only joking, was very good, if a little predictable. One criticism, too much shaky cam, and some may see an overuse of CGI, but otherwise pretty damn good, Not film of the year though, Cap America 2 still holds that status so far.

Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit

Was ok, nothing special, needed to be fleshed out a bit more, felt a bit rushed to me. I thought kenneth branagh's character was pretty scary stuff even with a dodgy Russian accent. But was underused in the end, as was Kevin Costner (again after MOS).

300: Rise of an Empire

Even more bonkers than the first film, if that is possible. Not as well put together mind, but just as violent and as sexy (for both genders) as the first, with a wiff of Spartacus thrown into the mix (and an actor too).

Lets see:

Eva Green: Smoking Hot, Naked & gets physical - Check
                        Lena Headey: Smoking Hot, Naked & gets physical - 2 out of 3 aint bad.

Enough for any film if you ask me ...

Big Trouble in Little China

Still a great film, simply because no-one in front of the camera (or possibly behind as well) is taking any of it seriously.

Comment

Jason X
                          Still some fun to be had but it's so hard to seriously consider as part of the series regardless of its official status, its fun loving but still a nail in the coffin

Dredd
                          No need to go in depth, we all know...still great

Comment

Man, how can X be a nail in the coffin after Jason Goes To Hell? That one was all nails in the coffin and a complete undignified burial. X at least had a more familiar Jason and some fun space enjoyment and one of the best kills of the series (

the ice face

). Of course I realise as I write this that my amazement mostly comes down to, hey, how come your opinion doesn't sound exactly like my opinion? Personally after 8 and 9 I just saw X as a high point. You know X got a bunch of sequel novels, right? Schindler's List didn't get that.

Comment

I'd probably agree it's better than 8 and 9, it's more that it got the series to such a daft point there was no going back without doing what the '09 film did and disregarding it completely. It's a shame FvJ did so horrendously money wise as it would have probably sparked more truer sequels and mash ups making X easier to overlook as an oddity.

Comment

Boogie Nights. First time I've watched it since it came out. So, so good.

Next up: The Master.

Comment

Working...
                                X